Destiny, My new design.

Posted by Donald Fry on 11/12/2016 20:22:47:
Posted by john stones 1 on 11/12/2016 19:40:18:

Left hand u/c leg looks offline or is it camera trick ?

John

Yep, off line, start again mate.

The engine died on the first flight and she came in like a rocket across wind.

All it took was a quick heave to get it lined up again.

• 5 weeks later...

I can't help feeling that building the cowl faster is a minor contributor to time of construction.

Planking the model and getting the finish finish is the major time consumer feature. and I have to confess that in the case of Destiny time saving was a very minor consideration in the design specification

Peter,

A fabulous looking model and yet another great design from you! Last night I completed the planking on the nose of my Grumpy Tigercub, which was accompanied by mutterings under my breath and an expletive when one plank popped out right at the end of the proceedings.. I found that elastic bands and pins were the answer to hold them all in. I am not sure I find them "strangely satisfying" but I have to admit I really love the shape of the Destiny so it may well be worth the pain. >>

I would love to say I would take part in the Mass build but reality is I would likely be the last to finish by a country mile...as I am so far behind with other projects, like the house. That said this is 100% on the 'to do' list>.>

Best,

Rob

Peter

All understood - every day is a school day. All my pins are much longer than 6mm so I will invest in some of the right size. Hopefully that will turn planking into a more therapeutic exercise for when I build a Destiny (the 4th design of yours I will have built).

Thanks for the advice and another addition to my build schedule.

Rob

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted by Peter Miller on 18/01/2017 12:10:50:

As I keep telling people but no one ever seems to listen The secret is MAP PINS. Small, plastic headed pins about 6 mm long, You can push them home and they hold the plank down.

Where do you get 6mm map pins Peter? I can only seem to find 12mm pins.