Simon C's Depron Ballerina

Peter

Apart from scale considerations it could be argued that the same conditions apply to models as full size where retractable u/c only really became an absolute necessity above 300 mph. I suspect the equivalent speed for models is also surprisingly high.

After all the Miles M20 with the same engine and armament was a touch faster than the Hurricane despite its fixed u/c.

I'm pretty sure I read that a retractable tailwheel added 4mph to the top speed of a Spitfire. So I'm sure that retractable main wheels made a pretty significant difference. The M20 was generally better aerodynamically than the Hurricane, it almost certainly would have been significantly faster again with a retractable undercarriage!

At model speeds it can't make much difference, but some planes don't look right with wheels hanging down. As far as the Super Marauder is concerned, Peter suggested that someone should do it and to me it looks like a 50s ground attack plane that needs retracts to bring out the best in it (I hope)!

It's worth mentioning that most of the allied heavy bombers had top speeds below 300 mph and I think to suggest that a fixed undercarriage wouldn't have been a very significant handicap is stretching a point, to say the least. Designers then were pretty well informed on aerodynamics, they weren't following fashion.

Colin

I think it is fair to say the design considerations between a light fighter and a heavy bomber are a bit different.

The heavier a plane the relatively bulkier the undercarriage becomes yet the weight and space required to retract it becomes relatively smaller.

The space and weight saved in the M20 allowed it to carry significantly more ammunition & fuel giving it nearly twice the range of either the Hurricane and Spitfire.

On the other hand the M20 had a thick wing, 21% at the root, so even more surprising it was faster than the Hurricane but presumably it had a lower drag wing section. This probably accounted for its higher stalling speed (80 mph even with flaps down!) despite having the same wing area and weight as the Hurricane.

This higher landing speed probably contributed to its end after failing to stop on a snow covered Woodley airfield.

Miles M.20 crash Ooops!

I have not seen this picture before.

A bit different yes, but not totally different. And don't mention the Stirling! The Martin Baker MB2 also had a good turn of speed with a fixed undercarriage. It doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. I can see where the P51 would have finished up if they'd decided that a fixed undercarriage would have enabled it to carry even more fuel and ammunition! Whatever the size of the plane the fact is that a fixed u/c increases frontal area and you can fair it all you like, you will never eliminate that. I looked at the Twister web-site and the fixed u/c option is said to reduce weight and complexity. It also takes about €4,000 off the price, it certainly won't make it any faster.

The main problem with the M20 according to Eric Brown was a lack of manoeuvrability. The Spitfire, Hurricane and Martlet could all turn inside it. He describes how in a turning contest with a Hurricane it stalled out of the turn at 190mph, so it doesn't sound as if it had much chance of being a good dog-fighter. He also said that the wooden construction wouldn't have been good for carrier use. I haven't seen that photo before either. The plane was clearly repairable, but as it had been rejected it wouldn't have been worth the bother. It looks like the first prototype, I don't know where the second navalised version finished up!

The RH aileron cutout from the wing and fully skinned with a 6 mm Depron leading edge.

Aileron 1

It has been profiled to suite a low hinge line to be a "Frise" type which limits adverse aileron yaw even with equal deflection up and down.

Have to wait for the servo to be delivered before going any further. The other wing is constructionally not far behind.

The 2.5" wheel built up from 4 layers of 6 mm grey Depron. Its two inner layers are cut as thin rings so the Depron "tyre" is actually hollow.

Wheel 1

The same wheel after sanding to shape on a mandrel and painted acrylic black.

Wheel 2

It weighs 2.9 g (0.1 oz). wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 14/11/2016 16:29:05

Still waiting for the 5 g aileron servos to complete wings so need to work out how they will be joined when they are completed.

A 3 part dihedral brace.

Dihedral brace.

The middle fits inside the box spar and is itself a balsa/Depron/balsa sandwich. The outer balsa parts glue directly on the the outer edge the spar flanges but will be within the thickness of the 2 mm Depron wing skin.

Peter and Colin

Well I don't know about a cunning plan but the Depron Ballerina looks like it is going to be seriously light with a ridiculously low wing loading which will allow controlled flight at low speeds and high angles of attack.

In general I have found such a configuration tends to run out of 'up' rather than 'down' elevator hence a potential benefit from an asymmetric tail plane section.

Whilst quite plausible and in part born out from experience with the Petiterina the biggest driver was it was simply easier to build a double tapered one piece structure with a predominately flat surface on one side! wink 2