Simon C's Depron Ballerina

Thanks for the kind words.

Late last night I tested the aileron with a servo tester.

All seems to work smoothly although putting the top wing skin on will need some careful fitting.
Now I can start the fuselage which should be fairly straightforward - as long as I can resist the temptation to put in a retractable tail wheel! smile o

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 26/11/2016 11:13:49

barry

You can only use foam safe Cyano on Depron and even then its best to check check on a scrap piece of Depron first!

Chirs

As I fly from grass a steerable tail wheel is not very effective. You have to use so much power to get the plane to move the tail wheel is not doing much, if anything, anyway. Just use lots of rudder!

Colin

Pilot? Na! I am the pilot and I am standing on the ground so the cockpit is empty. wink 2

The RH wing complete 'ready to go'.

RH Wing Complete

It weighs 3.4 oz (97 g).

The 1200 Emax 2822, 9x6 SF prop and the 47 mm spinner.

Spinner 1

Exactly the same as I am using on the Petiterina and with a bit of 'fitting' it all goes together neatly except the spinner cut outs are rather too big for a 9x6 SF prop.

But this quite normal way of mounting a prop on an outrunner does rather offend my engineering instincts with a long overhang from the front bearing and a high mechanical 'leverage' on the motor mounting bolts.

Although not a serious consideration for use in the Ballerina I note the motor would actually fit inside the profile of the spinner.

Motor spinner?

It would require the prop to use individual inserted blades but it would mean the whole motor/prop assembly would simply screw on to the very nose of the fuselage and from an engineering point of view it also means the motor bearings would in effect be 'straddling' the rotating mass.

Enough dreaming! - back to a retractable tail wheel.wink 2

The 'test' set up seemed to function well enough and it was certainly light so I decided to go ahead and fit the same system to the Depron Ballerina.

Tail wheel retract

The actual installation had to be 'tidied up' a bit to make sure there was space for the elevator and rudder servos that will also be right at the tail.

An usual view looking down what will be the underside of the fuselage at the tail wheel retract in operation.

I need to get the wing halves joined to sort out the wing retaining bolts.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 02/12/2016 00:39:55

With the wing bolts in it can stand on its wheels.

UC down

But now comes the 'school boy' error.

I did not check that the tail servo worked in the same sense as the mains so one is up when the other is down. Doh! sad There was a 50/50 chance it would be right.

However it should only need a bit of careful surgery to swap the tail servo over left to right.