Gentle Curves - Lucas his Skywriter

Lucas Hofman

Thanks Ron.

Another experiment: hinging ailerons with covering film. I got the idea from a glider with veneered wings where hinges are instructed to be done with scotch tape. Both for flaps and ailerons. This has kept well for 3 years and that gliders flies faster than most motor models.

hinging using covering film.jpg

Hinge is done using 2 strips of 20mm wide covering: one under and one over. So far it seems slop free and pretty solid. The disadvantage with not following the trodden path is that one may find out why not everyone uses hinges made from covering film....

Regards, Lucas

Posted by Lucas Hofman on 18/01/2018 12:46:58:

Changes are slim that will be a problem here in Norway... A good part of my flying is like this:

cub on skies.jpg

That may be so in the winter, Lucas, but you can fly all night in the summer

You live in a beautiful country. Norway was the first place I ever visited where I needed a passport back in 1966. All dirt roads north of Bergen in my then girl friend's Mini.

Nice job on the Skywriter. You'll end up with a lovely model. It's one on my list but the list is long and seems to be getting longer.

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

'Ordered long ago but it has not arrived yet. The friendly people at SLEC send a new bottle last week, but so far nothing has shown up.

The time has been used to build a Microaces SE-5a, which had it maiden last Saturday:

se5a complete.jpg

But I do still have finishing epoxy, so after reading up on how to glass a model the first bits were done yesterday (using 25 gr. duk):

glassing - first pieces.jpg

Dead easy. Tonight the remaining pieces and the bottom of the fuse.

Cheers, Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 22/02/2018 07:51:17

Now we are moving again. Did the another hatch, the bottom of the fuselage and the most difficult part (the cowling) yesterday. No wrinkles. Fuseside tonight, other side tomorrow and top on sunday:

img_4587[1].jpg

I want to simulate some panels, and need a high build primer I can use in a small airbrush. It will work with a 2-comp high-build epoxyprimer, but a one component (if possible water based) would be nicer. I will use water based paint as as a top color coat, but am still looking for a primer. Any suggestions?

Lucas

Hi Lucas,

If you want to create panel lines, you're in need of a high-build FILLER not a primer.

I would suggest a visit to your local car body shop and ask for a small quantity of a 'high-build filler' (mostly 2K), being preferably water based. And spray it on as you wish.

Cheers

Chris