Rosco's Skywriter-X Build

Rosco

Hi all,
Seeing as though there's a couple of 'thoughts at this stage only' threads started, I might as well get mine going too. There's nothing much to post yet but this post is like the first kick after the whistle - the first play to get things started.

I've got a few ideas but they are still bumping around in my head.

I'll post them when they start making sense to me and I've got a little bit more time!

Rosco

Hello Gents!

Firstly, I must say that I really did not intend to build a Skywriter for a few reasons but I've decided to join the MB because like you all, I enjoy the 'hands on' building and then the flying of the model (or the challenge that comes with getting it to fly!)

As some may know, my building medium of choice is foamboard. I enjoy watching what the FliteTest boys do with foamboard but have my own style of building with it. First, because the foamboard that they use is different to the stuff I use and second, I just like to do it a bit different!

My intentions with this build are to keep it fairly simple. I built the Ballerina to a smaller scale but I think I'll keep this one at 100%. It'll be interesting to find out its final weight compared to a balsa one. I'm not planning on straying too far from the original design but I do have something completely different in mind so I've got to try and keep this in mind as I go with the build.....by the way, I'm not going to say what it is that I'm going to try but if it works, I don't think you'll see another one like it?

I cannot guarantee that I'll be able to make it work but it's a challenge to me that I hopefully will enjoy making it work.

@Chris, ARF = Another Rosco Foamboard build. So much for sharing your ideas I hear you say.....stay tuned!

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 04/12/2016 16:29:14

Hi all again,

I've been thinking a little more and researching too. All I'm going to say is that what I have in mind has been done before which kills the originality of my modification but it is proof that it can be done. Enough said....!

So....back to my plan......

First of all, I will need to modify the plans to be 'foamboard build friendly'. By this I mean that because of the fact that it will basically be a 'box' with wings, the original Skywriter plan will basically become an 'outline' that I will trace and make any adjustments and modifications to before relaying it to the foamboard sheet.
If anyone is familiar with how the FliteTest guys do things, they will know what I mean. I am planning on building it in a similar way to the FT boys but need to take into consideration the modifications that will be needed to accommodate things.

My Ballerina build followed a similar path to the FT style but I went my own way with a few things after a little while. This time I'm planning on sticking to keeping it simple and using a few of their techniques but first things first, time to look at the plans and start getting an idea of simplifying them to suit my build......

Rosco

Just a brief one.....

After looking through my parts and reconsidering the power system, it seems I may have to downsize the plan a bit.
I do have several combinations to use but the one for the full size model will require removal from another model.
The 70mm fan.....oops...did I just say that?, is in one of my jets that I was thinking of retiring but cannot bring myself to do it!
I may downsize to fit a 64mm fan.....oops....I did it again. I could go even smaller to a 50mm fan......!

Thats just my thoughts for today.

Rosco

Unfortunately I think I'll leave the 70mm fan where it is Chris.

I had another quick look today and I really don't want to pull the fan out. The model it is in - an F18 Hornet, is such a great flyer that I don't want to mess with it! I can't bring myself to dismantling it!

The 64mm fan will probably be it.

The 50mm fan means that I'll need to get the model weight down to around 250-300g (with all the electrics and battery included), so it would be quite small.

I'm Still thinking......

Rosco

Thanks John.

I'm not planning on having any ugly ducklings like some of the ones above.
Just think of it as replacing the traditional motor with an EDF.
I hope to be conceding the whole lot inside the fuselage and the only difference will be that it has no prop. There may be a slight mod to the tail section for the exhaust but I will be trying to keep it looking like the Skywriter.

I've set myself a challenge now......

Rosco

I just hope you're not going into considering those ugly... thingies, Rosco. surprise

But your EDF treatment does indeed look very 'different' as John wrote. I just like it.

Why not getting inspiration for the 'intake' from some of early 'special' designs like the FJ-2 or the Super Sabre... ???

Gorgious, I should think...

Cheers, young man

Chris

Yes Chris, I'm hoping that it dosen't end up looking like too much of an ugly Duckling. I'm going to be making an effort to keep smooth flowing lines.

The intake was going to be like your FJ-2 example - straight in from the nose.
The exhaust will be a bit trickier.

One thing I need to keep in mind is weight.....yes Chris, I said weight!..lol.
If I don't need it, it won't be there.
EDF's are like turbos, they need to 'spool' up a bit before alot happens. I need it's lightweightness to assist in that department - less of a heavy airframe to get moving.

If I can get this to work, the model will be a little slow off the mark but should pick up some speed once it gets going.
I quite often hand launch my jets and feel like they will just drop out of the sky! Once they get moving, they are quick.

Obviously, this will be a little different to a jet, there is alot of drag in the physical airframe so that's one reason why I need to make it as light as possible.

All a big experiment and something different really.
I hope to have a flying EDF Skywriter-X at the end of this.

Hopefully some will stick around to see how it goes!

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 06/12/2016 22:52:24

This will be very interesting to follow up, Rosco.

Glad I subscribed as it will give me the opportunity to keep an eye at your baby's WEIGHT while building... yes

Just an idea here. If your Skywriter gets "a little slow off the mark", you could always add some booster rockets at the wing tips for take-off... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Boost Control

p.s : ... I think Colin is a tiny bit jealous regarding your project... surprise

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all,

Unfortunately I am pulling out of the 2017 MB.

Sorry to all whom were interested (which seemed to be very few).

Work is giving me very little time, if any, to build. I have a hard enough time just trying to find a spare free moment, letalone get out and have a fly. My family commitments take up any time I have after work. 99% of my posting is done from my phone at work (nightshift's have some advantages during downtime)...even now, as I type, I'm at work!

To be honest, as I've said, the Skywriter was not my favourite in the voting so my heart is not really in it and like I've just mentioned, I really do not have the time to build anything.

Sorry again to those interested but I'll still be lurking around once the builds get underway.

Down here in Adelaide the forecast is for a hot 40C Xmas day and I'm guessing it'll be the other side of 0C for some of you!
Regardless, Merry Christmas to all.

Cheers
Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 23/12/2016 02:42:41

Hi Rosco,

Sad to read that you're pulling out.

But I can understand your point of the Skywriter not being your favourite during the vote.

It wasn't mine neither and I hesitated a lot to take part of the MB or not. But then maybe it would have been just for the social and chat part of the participation.

I thought that it would not be enough to keep my motivation and get it to 'the end' of the build.

Anyway, I think you're right to take the decision not to start now than to stop somewhere during the journey...

I hope you won't quit your job of Bella's Weight Manager though... wink

Take care, young man and stay in touch.

Cheers & Merry Xmas

Chris

Hi Chris,
No problem mate, I'll still be checking your weight!

Unfortunately, shift work really makes things difficult for time management. One job is permanent shift work for 4 days on (2xdays and 2xnights) and then 4 days off. The other job varies, I could be working days, afternoons or nights. That job is on my 4 days off from the other one. Confused yet?

Like I've said, not much time to do my own things.

I'll still be around, checking out the builds.

Rosco