Time And Time Again

Dai Fledermaus

I've just finished reading `Time And Time Again` a cracking thriller by Ben Elton.

Without giving too much of the plot away, it poses the question. If you had one chance, just one chance to go back in time. What would you do? Where would you go? Who would you kill?

In the book, the main character tries to prevent the First World War by killing Gavrilo Princip. Who was he? Well, he was the nineteen year old Serb who assassinated Archduke Ferdinand and his wife Duchess Sophie in Sarajevo in 1914. In so doing he could prevent the slaughter of a generation of young men in the trenches of France, That single act could change the whole course of world History, but would be for better or worse?

You need to read the book to find out just how much of a cock up ( can I say that Mods? ) the real assassination was. The men involved were so incompetent, so much went wrong on the day that the Archduke was only killed by chance, by sheer bad luck.

One thing is for sure Aviation would not have made the strides it did had the First and Second World Wars not happened. Would Mitchel have designed the Spitfire for example? You could speculate for hours.

A great read. I can recommend it.

Not a great devotee of fiction, but I'll certainly give it a go. I've just finished reading A.Scott Bergs 1999 Pulitzer prizewinning biography 'Lindberg'.

A weighty tome, but very readable and enlightening. If all you know about 'Lindy' is the Spirit of St Louis flight, give this a go.