The Miners Strike

john stones 1 - Moderator

Posted by Donald Fry on 06/12/2016 17:20:43:

As one involved I would suspect all books on that horrible wasteful and dark period of history have a definite point to prove.

Yes your probably right Donald . Thanks John 👍🏻

Just a friendly reminder folks. This thread has been fine so far, very civil and no problem. We do need to keep it that way! This is not an opening to discussing the politics of the affair - it is a request for a book recommendation only. Let's keep it very much on a fairly narrow definition of that topic please.

Thanks for your help.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/12/2016 20:24:42:

Just a friendly reminder folks. This thread has been fine so far, very civil and no problem. We do need to keep it that way! This is not an opening to discussing the politics of the affair - it is a request for a book recommendation only. Let's keep it very much on a fairly narrow definition of that topic please.

Thanks for your help.

BEB

Indeed , purely a request for info from anyone who had a decent overview book recommendation for next years holiday read. Last year I read the Vietnam history.

It doesn't look like any of the regular posters can help?

Feel free to erase the post mods if it's deemed inflammatory in any way.

J...

Post deleted.

Please read my post above before adding to this thread. This thread deals exclusively with the question of book recommendations - it is not a thread about passed or present developments regarding the Miners Strike which, still being a highly charged and emotive topic for many, is very political and therefore is not an appropriate topic for this forum.

BEB

Justin, for a brief bare bones account, Wikipedia does the business. Not a book, but a fair balanced account.

I don't know where your quest for the knowledge of history roams. But if you have an interest in social history, might I point you to the histories written by the wives of miners.

I am aware that some, entering the fray as "housewives" left the fray as " politician" or "social leader".

But at the end of the day, any woman who stands by her man, and family, for a year, without any appreciable money coming in, has the right to be listened to.

Edited By Donald Fry on 11/12/2016 20:28:03