Simon's Skywriter Build

Simon Feather

Thanks all for the nice comments - I'm back from holiday so may get a chance now to finish off the lozenges on the top wing and add a windshield... if I can ever stop flying her! Yesterday was a great day down at our field (Dewsbury); gentle breezes, a little cross to the main strip, but by early evening it was flat calm. I don't know how many flights I had, but I had to recharge the flight battery (it's a 2000mAh eneloop) for the last couple of sessions - probably would have been fine, but I ain't risking it! So that gives you an idea....

Stumps - Yes, the engine centreline is as per the plan. I used an 8oz Dubro tank, which is a little less high I think than the Slec tank. It's a nice tight fit just under the cabane fixings. I built a little platform forward of F2 to the firewall which allows me to strap it down. I've not had any tanking issues at all, except for one when the strap holding the tank down slipped a little allowing the tank pressurisation tube to kink. The model flies both ways up with no problems, except for looking a little silly upside down!

Pete - Now I have her trimmed out properly I'm starting to learn her behaviour - yes, a little rudder in turns helps. the four ailerons are very sensitive - I have about 4 or 5 mm deflection, and it is plenty, I've set up a healthy load of expo as it's quite sensitive. The model would probably fly just on the lower ailerons! Stall turns to the left are great, but the engine torque means stall turns to the right need .... encouragement. Like a lot of bipes it tends to screw out of the loop, but so long as you control her round it's fine.

The OS52 is plenty to power this model - straight and level on full whack, she's unrealistically fast. Fun though! I'm just using a standard 12x6 APC prop. There's not enough power there for unlimited verticals, they do run out of steam after a little - but this is not a muscle bipe, as you said! Really, she looks best just pottering past on low revs about 6 feet off the ground!

Lovely, I'm very pleased.

• 7 months later...

Well, after a season flying the Skywriter, and with the weather so inclement, I finally last weekend got around to completing the markings on the top wing and added the yellow lozenges I'd always intended to put on as this is masquerading as a Nimrod... still a favourite, though currently on the Naughty Step due to a split clunk pipe. Luckily I've made the tank fairly easily removable so shouldn't take long to sort out.

20180404_175043.jpg

Simon

Edited By Simon Feather on 04/04/2018 20:01:47

• Like 1

Lucas,

I fly mine with 8mm on the ailerons; I have 12mm set on the high rates, it's very sensitive at that setting.

I have rather more - 30mm on elevator and rudder. It probably doesn't need that much on the elevator, but the large deflection on the rudder makes for very nice stall turns.

One thing to watch out for - did you use the "recommended" ply horns for the aileron linkages? I did, and the holes have worn and become enlarged to the point where there is a lot of slop on the top ailerons. With hindsight, I should have made fibreglass ones. I shall bush them at some point when I want a rest from other jobs: if yours is still on the bench you may want to preempt that the problem and apply some bushings before it become an issue.

I am contemplating going to the BMFA swap meet and fly-in on Sunday, to have a nose around Buckminster; if I do, I shall take the Skywriter as the engine is now healthy once more (pinprick hole in the clunk tube, so small as to be invisible to the eye - but clearly there as lots of bubbles appeared in the fuel line in the nose up test. Tube replaced, no problems now).

Simon

'Simon, thanks for the info. I have my ailerons top hinges, but have been too lazy in beveling the ailerons. The result is max deflection down of about 5 mm. Have them set up now with 8mm up, 4mm down.

I made my aileron horn of 1.5mm carbon, but I think the interlink horns are ply. However, the holes will not enlarge:

img_4976[2].jpg

Ball links on the interlinks. Slopfree and since the lug is clamped between the ball and the washer the holesides are not loaded. With hindsight I should have make the aileron - servo connection the same way (treaded bolt in a bolt is a lousy bearing).

Lucas