Low pass Pete's MB2017 Skywriter build

Low pass Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I have now had time to take a look at the plan and have decided that the engine should be a 4 stroke.

My final choice of power-plant is an OS62V 4 stroke which I have just ordered from Slough RC (best price by miles). If the engine is anything like the 95V it should be very economical to run (have a 95V in an old Hangar 9 P47 and it runs very well).

Regards to all

Peter

I have used the OS62 destined for my DB Sport and scale tiger Moth to show how the engine will fit to my rendition of Skywriter.

F2 will have to be moved rearwards by approx. 2" But that is no problem as the original design does actually say place F2 according to engine size. I will leave the lower cowl open (as I did in Ballerina). This should make installation easier, especially regarding to the silencer which is somewhat different to an OS 52 or SC52.

img_5981.jpg

img_5982.jpg

img_5983.jpg

img_5984.jpg

img_5985.jpg

Regarding under-carriage. I have a set of dural legs that came from a Seagull Edge 540 which look ok to use as a base.

Looking at the against the plan I will re-bend/modify and finish as close to the plan using Pete Millers approach.  (that seems about rightwink)

img_5986.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 07/01/2017 15:52:34

Hi Lucas and John

My rendition will not have a top hatch as per the plan as I will not need access for a battery. I will be looking at some strengthening at the front end due to engine selection but have not got to look at yet. I will only need a very small of opening of F3 etc for the tank but will look at cabane mounts very carfully.

Engines looks fab!

Peter

Decorating now finished so now I have had some time to look at Skywriter.

As the first photo shows F2 and F3 offered up on the plan with a SLEC 10oz tank in position and the intended power-plant.

Looking at this the centre of the tank is just below the needle so I will open out the top of the F3 cut out accordingly. Probably about 1/8in or so, not much more. I may well add a wee bit of additional strength to F3 as a result of this but it looks no big deal. It is good to get the tank position just right as it pays dividends with the running of the engine.  Also thinking on I would expect to extend F2 down a bit to where the tank will be.  Do not see any real issue at all.

img_5993.jpg

Full steam ahead. Watch this space.

img_5994.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 21/01/2017 16:18:14

Hi Pete,

I've been looking at the Skywriter with the view of using an OS52fs that I have spare. Like you, I've been trying to come up with an engine and tank layout using the same Slec tank. The problem I've found is where there cabane struts sit in the fuselage. The tank has to sit lower than is desired without altering their anchor point height. As an alternative I've thought about lowering the engine slightly.

Do you have any thought on this?

regards

Ant

Posted by Stumps on 21/01/2017 16:45:51:

Hi Pete,

I've been looking at the Skywriter with the view of using an OS52fs that I have spare. Like you, I've been trying to come up with an engine and tank layout using the same Slec tank. The problem I've found is where there cabane struts sit in the fuselage. The tank has to sit lower than is desired without altering their anchor point height. As an alternative I've thought about lowering the engine slightly.

regards

Ant

Hi Stumps

One simple way to get a bit more tank height would be to use a SLEC Red tank instead of the yellow. That would give an extra 1/4in to raise the tank.

On reflection I may well use a red tank. I used one on my Ballerina build with an OS52 4 stroke and duration is just fine. As a final resort you could use a SLEC Blue tank and that would gain 3/8in height. Looking at the OS instructions for my OS62 it says "Locate the fuel tank so that the centre line of the tank is approx. 10mm below the centre line of the needle-valve". As I intend to invert the engine with a small mod to the F3 tank access hole ( make access hole taller), use a red tank, I think that the right position of the tank can be achieved. I think the same height would apply to an OS52. In the past as a rule of thumb to get the centre line of the tank in line with the centre of the needle valve works for me OK.

However if more height was needed then the only option would be to redesign the cabanes or as you say lower the engine a tad. My choice would be to lower the engine as a very last resort as I would prefer to keep the thrust line as per the original design. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Peter

Posted by Low pass Pete on 22/01/2017 04:35:35:

Hi Pete,

regards

Ant

Hi Stumps

One simple way to get a bit more tank height would be to use a SLEC Red tank instead of the yellow. That would give an extra 1/4in to raise the tank.

On reflection I may well use a red tank. I used one on my Ballerina build with an OS52 4 stroke and duration is just fine. As a final resort you could use a SLEC Blue tank and that would gain 3/8in height. Looking at the OS instructions for my OS62 it says "Locate the fuel tank so that the centre line of the tank is approx. 10mm below the centre line of the needle-valve". As I intend to invert the engine with a small mod to the F3 tank access hole ( make access hole taller), use a red tank, I think that the right position of the tank can be achieved. I think the same height would apply to an OS52. In the past as a rule of thumb to get the centre line of the tank in line with the centre of the needle valve works for me OK.

However if more height was needed then the only option would be to redesign the cabanes or as you say lower the engine a tad. My choice would be to lower the engine as a very last resort as I would prefer to keep the thrust line as per the original design. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Peter

As an addition to make last comment. If the tank is too high you will run the risk of siphon action which make mixture adjustment very difficult.

Posted by Low pass Pete on 22/01/2017 04:41:40:
Posted by Low pass Pete on 22/01/2017 04:35:35:

Hi Pete,

regards

Ant

Hi Stumps

Cheers

Peter

As an addition to make last comment. If the tank is too high you will run the risk of siphon action which make mixture adjustment very difficult.

Finally if the hole in F3 is made taller then I would strengthen F3 to make sure the cabane attachment is man enough for the job in hand.

Ref tank position.. decision taken to use a SLEC red tank and to modify F3 and F2.

1. Need to have a cutout in F3 just wider than the tank approx. 1/4 in deep.

img_5997.jpg

2. I decided to double up F3 to add strength. Dummy set up to show basic position of tank centreline compared to needle valve. There will be just enough headroom between top of tank and the cabane mounts. I will epoxy the cabanes to the plates and also add nut and bolt (just in case).

img_6003.jpg

img_6005.jpg

3. As F2 is moved rearwards then it will need to be made longer. About 1in of so. Looks as if the original line of lower plate can be the same.

4. Overall arrangement allows for centre of tank to be just above needle valve or if required it can be lowered about 1/2in if required.

5. Bonus is that no top hatch will be needed for my build.

img_6006.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 22/01/2017 19:37:55

Hi Pete,

A significant change the other way: I move F2 forward and make it lower, you move it back and make it higher!. Would it be wise to use blind nuts for the cabane struts? Less chance on a nut loosening when you mount the cabanes and the possibility to remove them (although if you use epoxy you may not get a damaged one out without damaging the surrounding, so then it does not matter.

Lucas

Undercart modified from the spares I held. Applied a little heat using the hottest burner on the cooker then clamp in a vice and bend gently. Just need to drill ready for stub axles. The heat did not damage the paint finish, surprisingly, but will refinish anyway.

img_6020.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 29/01/2017 15:49:38