Low pass Pete's MB2017 Skywriter build

Low pass Pete

Progress made on Fus and engine mount area.

Not so keen on the silencer on the OS62V compared to the OS52 surpass. In this installation the engine will have to be screwed to the mount with the silencer pre-fitted.

However it is going to fit just fine but care will be required on the front end.

img_6017.jpg

F1 needs to be modified to accommodate the 4 stroke.

img_6018.jpg

img_6021.jpg

Access to the throttle connection looks ok. Control rod to servo will miss the fuel tank ok.

img_6023.jpg

img_6024.jpg

Once the 4 cowl blocks are fitted and shaped accordingly I think the installation will be just dandy

img_6025.jpg

• 2 months later...
Posted by Low pass Pete on 22/01/2017 04:51:01:

Anyway completely sticking to the plan is not 100% binding. subtle changes are good as it makes one think about problems such as the engine tank position and solve them before build starts. No so in ARTFs.smiley

Edited By Low pass Pete on 22/01/2017 04:51:31

I agree! Impulsive change is not too good but to think about a problem and change once plans are often a good thing

________

handling

• 11 months later...

Well at last I have made progress and my Skywriter is getting close to completion. Just a few more jobs to do but most work is now done. She is slightly tail heavy but tank, receiver and battery yet to fit so hopefully will be ok to balance her. Weight as seen is about 5ib 4oz.

Covering is Red Profilm and Silver Solatex. Canopy came from a demised Seagull Edge 540 (cut down) as did the basic UnderCart which I remodelled accordingly. Engine is an OS62V fourstroke and given the weight it will be very sprightly I would say.

img_6178.jpg

img_6179.jpg

img_6180.jpg

img_6181.jpg

img_6182.jpg

img_6178.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally I have maidened my Skywriter. Great morning for a first flight at our Ramsey Club field.

What a lovely flyer!!!! Looks to be very aerobatic and roll rate is fast and pretty axial. Very steady on the landing and greasers on all 5 flights I had today. Well chuffed to say the least

She needed a bit of nose weight to achieve the correct C of G even with a 4 stroke upfront.. The engine I have used (OS62V Four-stroke) is inverted and runs very sweetly. Plenty of power and the model is not overpowered at all. Looks great in the air and will I am sure become a favourite. Well done to Lyndsey for a great basic design.

I may well add some additional colour to the upper wing as the silver tends to melt into the clouds somewhat however.

Cheers

Peter

20180512_080812.jpg

20180512_080840.jpg

Congratualations Pete! I share your comments about the silver wings. mine are the same top and bottom and when rolling one needs to count half rolls to know when she is inverted.

However when flying close it is not an issue, and then you can enjoy the model even better!

Lucas