Have you passed the model flying/building bug onto anyone else?

I started too late to be good enough to teach anyone to fly. Much as I would have enjoyed teaching, I just don't fly to a high enough standard IMO.

I was a qualified sailing instructor years ago and got a lot of satisfaction from that. I was also lucky enough to get week's paid sailing for several years on the Rolls Royce yacht (a 55' ferro cement ketch called 'Merlin of Clyde' as first mate taking an 8 strong crew of totally inexperienced trainees to sea. That was great fun while it lasted.

Geoff

My preferred tavern owner is polite enough to smile at my stories...

My preferred barber/hairdresser is smart enough to use his hairdryer when 'not' (hot?) listening at my stories...

My preferred friend/partner (The LotH) is kind enough to listen to and to even sponsor my strange activities...

... but I remain convinced that she shouldn't join the model flying activities for the sake of all...

Cheers

Chris

I built my Nephew Nigel when he was about 10 a free flight Chatterbox and a control line Keil Kraft Champ. He went on to upstage me in every aspect of the hobby including taking part in the Gold Trophy and the combat control line events at the Nationals. He passed his B certificate and demonstrated RC flying at RAF Dunsfold where he once worked having passed an aeronautical degree. I spoke to him last week and he confirmed he is working on the full size Typhoon fighter. I believe he has still got the Chatterbox and despite giving up radio control several years ago has just bought some 2.4 mhz gear.

001 (2) nigel.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 11/01/2017 00:25:08

Been building models most of my 52 years, My son is very active and grew up in our workshop. I have taught many people and my friends are mostly rc nuts, including my doctor. I ran an aviation awarness campaign for South African Airways for a number of years and built Delta Darts/ BMFA Darts with kids all around South Africa, about 20 000 of them.

Errrrm. Ignoring before 2006, 11 years twice a week after school club, yearly intake 9 classes of 30, about a third sample in their first year, about 25 regularly attend, and 5 to 10 per year stay keen beyond year 11. Currently have two ex-pupils now Uni that fly with me when back home, one in third year, one first year.

In all that time and with all those numbers there has only ever been two fathers who showed any interest.

I've taught a few to fly as a club instructor over the years.

However, as some people are aware, my partner (now wife), Netty, took up the hobby some years ago. She'd already had a taste for full-sized aviation, but found it too expensive. Being a blokey kind of gal, she expressed an interest in having a twiddle on the sticks - which she found much more challenging than she'd imagined.

Anyway, several builds and reviews later, she possesses an A certificate and a fleet of 10 models of her own. Currently taking a winter sabbatical.

tim

Netty's first build was this Peter Rake Renaud sever al years ago. Still sees occasional flight time.

About 50 years ago, I began introducing youngsters to the hobby by way of giving them goes on trainers, etc. . At that time I was still a kid myself. face 1

Gawd knows how many kids have had goes -- it is probably thousands -- and several have become deeply involved in the hobby.

Recently, one of my grandsons asked if he could learn the art. . I am very proud,

Jacob

Still learning myself, but i have dragged my 10 year old daughter down the field in the past and only this evening was teaching her on Phoenix flight sim. She also has her own Tamiya car (my other big obsession!) which she built with me. I think she shows interest more because she likes to do things with her old man rather than because she enjoys RC specifically though! Still, that's good enough for me.

Got my son making a few, though despite this and him buying a small drone, he got frustrated with all the rules and regs about where you can fly and has given up. I'm grateful that he is responsible about it though.

All a bit sad when I consider that my model building/flying was one of the main reasons I've had a career in the Aerospace industry.

• 2 months later...

I have helped loads of newbies at the club and perhaps encouraged a build here and there, But,........

I find if I enthuse about models to my collegues, their eyes generally glaze over after about 4 minutes.... they just don't get it I suppose.

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 02/04/2017 00:46:56