Who wants a Warbird Replics Hurricane?

David Davis

I'm told on another thread that the production of another batch of Warbird Replicas Hawker Hurricanes will not take place because in the past modellers have expressed an interest in buying the kit and when they became available they did not put their money where their mouths were!

I am very interested in the Hawker Hurricane and if Richard Wills, the proprietor of Warbirds Replicas, will produce another batch of kits for £140-£150, he's got my money! I'll go further, I'll even send him a deposit! How much would you like Richard?

I believe he needs at least another nine modellers to commit to buying a kit to make the production worthwhile.

Who will publicly commit to buying a kit on this forum?

Who's with me?

For those unaware of this model i attach a few photos of the one i built last winter. I made a few mods, but nothing beyond the skills of most kit builders.

They are 63'' and about 9-10lbs. Mine is about 9lbs 10oz and the Laser 80 fitted to the front pulls it with no bother at all. Landing is solid with no nasty surprises and the model looks the part in the air as i think you will agree.

img_6623.jpg

dsc09603.jpg

dsc09542.jpg

Jon that looks lovely and I would certinaly be interested too. I was going to build a Hurricane from the Bryan Taylor plan but with numerous other projects on the go and in the pipeline time becomes a critical factor, so I cannot see me finishing it for many years. A kit would help no end.

Rob

"...if Richard Wills, the proprietor of Warbirds Replicas, will produce another batch of kits for £140-£150, he's got my money! I'll go further, I'll even send him a deposit! How much would you like Richard?..."

At 63" wingspan, what's not to like. I'm in.

Ian

Posted by Timothy Harris 1 on 11/01/2017 13:32:46:

Nice one Jon , but please remember to put the choke back in after takeoff once the engine is warm . I can see your black smoke from the exhaust stacks has sooted the plane down the sides😉

What can i say, in the heat of battle things get forgotten

In just over 24 hours, by my maths, 4 of us have committed to buying a Warbirds Replica Hawker Hurricane kit should one become available, and two others have expressed a strong interest in the kit without unequivocally saying that they intend to buy one. I will continue to monitor this thread until the end of the month and will endeavour to find out the size of a minimum order.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 12/01/2017 15:05:07:

I would put a deposit down on one if it wasn't for the fact that I have three models 'in-build' and I am not prepared to admit how many unbuilt kits in storage! This is the building season guys, surely there must be a few more looking for a new project to build?

Piers, I think we're all hoarders! This was my situation a few months ago. I have made a start on the Baron since I typed up the list!

Unstarted Model Aeroplane Kits

Fokker DVII

Stampe Monitor

Flying Flea

SE5

Baron

Supra Fly

ARTF Acrowot

Incomplete Airframes, Repairs and “Projects.”

Auster

KK Outlaw

Stol

North American AT6 (two off.)

WOT 4s (two off.)

Mick Reeves 1/3 scale Sopwith Camel

DSM Aerostar

Majestic Major

Double Sized Tomboy

laugh

David,

On a side note, the Stampe Monitor in your list isn't quite correct.

It should be the Stampe SR.7 or the Farman Monitor.

Farman used to produce the SV-4 under licence for the French Armée de l'Air, so when Stampe designed the SR.7, he proposed his design to Farman for the French Army, but the only one 'Monitor' ever produced was built in Antwerp and assembled by Farman. Unfortunately both versions were refused by both task forces and the third prototype 'disappeared' and was never found again...

Cheers

Chris

I have been in touch with Richard Wills, the owner of Warbird Replicas and he is willing to produce a batch of Hurricanes provided that he has at least ten firm orders for the model. He is currently busy making up the ME110 and plans to produce a batch of Spitfires in February so it will be March before the Hurricane becomes available and that will only happen if there are ten firm orders for the model. He does not require a deposit, however, he asked me to tell prospective buyers that if anybody does not honour their commitment, that this will totally trash any future batch production.

So far six of us have committed to buying a Hurricane kit: IanR, SteveC, Richard Wills2, Kieron Arnold, Chris Channon and your humble servant. It follows that we need at least another four aeromodellers to committ to buying the kit for production to start.

Frankly, yes. I didn't think it seemed overly difficult but, for me, it did seem a bit too involved. A picture of the tail feathers ready for covering put me off. Sensibly, I'll never get the thing built though I am sure that dedicated builders, experienced or otherwise, won't find it too much of a problem - so don't let me put anyone off.

It is your fault that I put my name down in the first place. Your photos at the start of this thread had me drooling and I got carried away.

Ian

The kit tail is a single slab of 1/4 balsa but the kit gives the choice to make it more complicated if you like. I went the whole hog, but you dont have too if you dont want too.

dsc_0055.jpg

If you still think its too much dont worry, noone should feel pressured to buy something they dont want. That is not the purpose of these threads. 

As for my model, i did do a fair amount of mods. some are quick and easy, like the wing fillet, and some are not so quick/easy. The flaps were a great deal of extra work, but in part because of how i did them. It could have been done quicker/simpler but i wanted the look so i went for the more complex approach. As the rest of the model was so quick to make, i felt i could spend more time on the flaps/tail and not feel like i was turning the model into an epic. 

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 13/01/2017 09:05:58