Who wants a Warbird Replics Hurricane?

David Davis

I am vowed, no more kits, projects, until the backlog is done. I have been good for two years. But if I don't act, good flying aircraft kits will disappear. Therefore I am in for one kit.

And to make matters worse, I can see me poor overworked laser 75 and 80 in need of reinforcements. Mr Harper and Mr Davis, may a slug crawl over your paintwork, for tempting me.

Darn...Darn ...Darn

This all fits into my cunning plan Baldric!

Bench back log should be finished by April, I have a motor that will fit (sorry Jon it will start off electric while the twin IC project gets bogged down in complexity & experience needed in building/flying).

So add me to the list for one Hurricane. Deposit no problem I'll treat it as staged payments, harder for the boss to detect the real cost....although she bought the Spit airframe & I bought the rest (heavy end!)

I must admit the build blog did put me off, but there are club mates and here to assist so I am sure I'll get by even with my limited experience!

Posted by Chris Walby on 13/01/2017 10:57:49:

Darn...Darn ...Darn

This all fits into my cunning plan Baldric!

Bench back log should be finished by April, I have a motor that will fit (sorry Jon it will start off electric while the twin IC project gets bogged down in complexity & experience needed in building/flying).

So add me to the list for one Hurricane. Deposit no problem I'll treat it as staged payments, harder for the boss to detect the real cost....although she bought the Spit airframe & I bought the rest (heavy end!)

I must admit the build blog did put me off, but there are club mates and here to assist so I am sure I'll get by even with my limited experience!

Tut tut, another electric warbird

I will let you off though on the basis that the twin will be nice and noisy

Regarding the complexity of the build, i have built 2 and half of these hurricanes now. The first was my first ever scale build when i was about 18 or so and it taught me a huge amount. For those unsure about how well they will be able to manage the build dont worry. Its not super complex and once we get a thread going on it myself and/or Richard will gladly give pointers. I have have a small mod list that will add a little work, but will also add significantly to the look of the model.

Posted by David P Williams on 13/01/2017 12:56:33:

Well David, my Spit is on the way to being finished but I'm afraid I won't be joining in with the Hurricane group. It's just never been one of my favourite aircraft. Maybe the next crowdfunded one - I would really like to support Richard's efforts.

Ah well that's where we differ David, I've always loved those almost feminine curves of the Hurricane, especially when viewed from behind, reminds me of a careers adviser I used to know...

To return to the matter in hand with IanR having dropped out of the "Hurricane Squadron" and with Donald Fry and Chris Walby having joined yesterday, that means that seven of us have committed to buying a Hurricane kit.

We require three more members before the squadron becomes operational!

Sorry, got a bit carried away with flights of fancy there, what I mean is that we require three more aeromodellers to commit to buying a Warbirds Replica Hurricane kit before Richard can start a production batch.

Seven modellers including your humble servant, have committed to buying a Warbirds Replica Hawker Hurricane. This is a 61" wingspan foam-veneered model. However, the proprietor of Warbirds Replicas, Richard Wills requires a minimum order of ten before starting a production batch.

Anyone else out there interested?

Posted by Graham Russell on 15/01/2017 10:00:32:

I am withdrawing my interest in the Hurricane (my favourite) and have gone with the ME110. Hard decision but I have recently bought the Mk9 Spitfire. This will be my 1st ever twin( in 40+ years of modelling.

Twins are different but not difficult. once the kits are in hand we will get a thread going with setup tips etc. will yours make a noise?

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 15/01/2017 10:53:36:
Posted by Graham Russell on 15/01/2017 10:00:32:

I am withdrawing my interest in the Hurricane (my favourite) and have gone with the ME110. Hard decision but I have recently bought the Mk9 Spitfire. This will be my 1st ever twin( in 40+ years of modelling.

Twins are different but not difficult. once the kits are in hand we will get a thread going with setup tips etc. will yours make a noise?

Hi Jon,

Mine is going to be electric. Are you going for one, and if you are I look forward to the thread.

I will take one but it is going to have to wait its turn for building. I already have a very full hangar and as I have hardly stopped building for the last 5 years this year is likely to be dedicated to getting the bugs out of a few models. My YT P39 is the one that really needs to earn its keep now as its only flown about 11 times in 3 years due to constant issues of one kind or another that I have been too lazy to fix. This year I will pull all the stops so it can be a reliable model I can fly regularly as opposed to a constant headache

I thought you already had two Jon, but welcome to the "squadron" anyway! You can be my first flight leader. cheeky. As you have built them in the past, we will all be looking to you for advice and guidance, especially as I'm going to power it with a Laser 70. This will be my first model with retracts and I will have to practice flying low wing models. By chance I have an AT6 on the blocks. Just like the old days eh?

I will pm Richard with the details but if anyone else wants to buy a Warbirds Replica Hurricane kit, please let me know. Ten is only the minimum number of orders he required.

To clarify, I will be taking a 110 but not a hurricane as I just finished one and don't need another!

For the 110, I am going to see if Laser 70's will fit, but even if they do it will be overpowered with the two 70's. I plan to use this power for bigger props, assuming I can get them to fit.

For the Hurricane, if using a Laser I would recommend the 80 as that's what I have in mine and the performance is spot on. If using another brand of engine I would still recommend an 80.

Thank you Andrew. It's my birthday in March too so that's my excuse to add the Hurricane to my kit mountain!

Confirmed Warbirds Replica Hurricane purchasers are therefore as follows:

1. Your humble servant.
  2. Steve C.
  3. Richard Wills 2.
  4. Kieron Arnold.
  5. Chris Channon.
  6. Donald Fry.
  7. Chris Walby..
  8. Mike Blandford.
  9. Ken Lighten.
  10. Andrew Ray.

Please bear in mind that ten is the minimum order which Richard needs to produce a batch of Hurricanes. If anyone else wants a kit, please let me know and I will add you to the list. The price of the kit will be about £140-£150 and kits will become available in March of this year.

Edited By David Davis on 16/01/2017 06:26:24

Well done! I received the La 7 last week but have stored it away as I can't build at the moment. In the short time I had to inspect them, the contents looked fantastic. I'm really looking forward to building this plane and I'm sure that the Hurricane will be the same quality.