Who wants a Warbird Replics Hurricane?

David Davis

Posted by Glynn on 20/01/2017 14:17:39:
Hello
Let me introduce myself to this thread.
I'm Glynn and I produce the vinyl graphics for Richards WarbirdReplicas aircraft.
I am a model flyer, currently making a one off Chipmunk from a set of foam wings Richard had in his loft. What it will have is a Custom set of Decals,as you guy's know Richard will go the extra mile to ensure you chap's get the model you want and so will I. So I can produce a set of decals of an individual aircraft to make your Hurricane unique. All I need is pictures of the aircraft or pointers to it on the internet and I will do the rest. You can contact me through the warbirdreplicas.co.uk web site or PM me on here.

Will this also apply to the bf 110?

We will most probably offer similar to the Hurricane. There will be some exclusions ie Those with the Nose art of the hornet and sharks teeth as these are multi-piece art to fit round a compound curve.Easier to paint than create vinyl's that will go on first time.

There are three main groups for the Bf110, Battle of Britain, Desert and Night fighter. Mainly crosses and squadron codes. I have to wait until I can get my hands on the Bf110 to create the right size's for the particular scheme, the Hurricane I have already supplied decal's for, so the artwork is mainly done.

Planning ahead, I am happy with installing air retract systems, but on a model this size the pipes and bottles and valve makes everything look complex, and full. But the units from the good makers are good. Jon's caveats apply.

Anyone had any experience with electric retracts. I was just perusing Hobbyking, and units for this size model, at 73 dollars a pair do not seem to be able to create favourable reviews. Poor engineering seems a theme. But only the unhappy do reviews.

Don't suggest mechanical units. I hate them with a vengeance.

And do electric retracts allow for the operator to programme cycle times from the transmitter, or are they bang bang, up or down

I've used both, Hobbyking and E flite, E Flite are better units. Plus, when I've had a problem, I've sent them back and they've been returned, fixed, free of charge.

I've also used E Flite in my Spitfire and put them into separate channels in the receiver. I then put a delay on one so that they both went up and lowered one after the other. This mimics the real thing, one being slower than the other. You can't affect the speed that they move though, I'm sure I tried that. However, they don't bang up or down like mechanicals, they are a motor spinning a screw jack so they are a lot slower as designed.

Bucksboy, thanks. I have delay function and that will do the business. When you say e flite sort problems, have you had many?

Sorry about being a bit cautious, but retracts can be a nightmare, even with good systems, see caveats from others above. A bit of tidy engineering is a necessity.

Yes but only when I've ripped them out during a poor landing. I used the plastic connectors to ensure the servo lead stayed plugged into the extension lead. However, when I ripped the retract out, instead of the servo plug unplugging itself, the connector held that joint together. So instead the wire ripped straight out from the circuit board in the retract and I had to send them back for repair. Don't use the servo connectors on this joint is the lesson here. The E Flite ones have never failed in day to day service.

This is the list builders who have committed to buying a Warbirds Replica Hawker Hurricane as of today Saturday 28th January 2017.

If anyone else would like to join us please add a post on this thread.

David Davis
Steve C
Richard Wills 2
Kieron Arnold
Chris Channon
Donald Fry
Chris Walby
Mike Blandford
Ken Lighten
Andrew Kay
Rob Ashley
Robert Hay

There are possibly two people called Richard Wills who post on this site, one of whom is the owner of Warbird Replicas. Of course they could be one and the same and perhaps Richard uses "Richard Wills" to post in connection with Warbird Replicas and "Richard Wills 2" to post in connection with other matters.

If not, will the real Richard Wills 2 please stand up? smiley.

My French clubmates tease me about me being the Minister for Brexit and I tell them to stop flying as I am expecting my helicopter to land at any minute to take me back to London!

But to answer your question Richard, the Hurricanes should be available in March if all goes well. Your namesake is producing the Bf110s this month and a batch of Spitfires in February. After that the Hurricanes will be produced. Nice birthday present for me!

Not good enough ! Ex grammar school boy and once married to an Irish girl!

This is the squadron, all present and, I trust, correct! New pilots most welcome.

David Davis
Steve C
Richard Wills 2
Keiron Arnold
Chris Channon
Donald Fry
Chris Walby
Mike Blandford
Ken Lighten
Andrew Ray
Rob Ashley
Robert Hay

Posted by Robert Hay 4 on 30/01/2017 11:08:12:

Hi Jon,

A few posts back you mentioned a mod required in order to fit a Laser engine. As I am planning on fitting a Laser 70 please could you furnish me with the details of this?

Thanks.

Rob

I shall be doing likewise though I may try to fit a Laser 80 or 90 into mine. I expect Jonathan will be along in a while to fill us in on the modifications required to fit a Laser to the Hurricane.

The Hurricane will probably fly with the 70 but it wont be a great performer unless its very light. I used the 80 in mine and its a good match even with a 10lb all up weight.

The mods i made related to the engine were:

Firewall moved forward 1/2 inch.

Fuel tank moved down into line with the carb. F2 was modified and the central single wing dowel replaced by two small ones outboard of my fuel tank cutout.

Servos moved forward into the space previously occupied by the fuel tank before lowering.

The wing leading edge was then cut to accept the back of the fuel tank

While not 100% engine related i glued my wing fairing to the fuselage and cut the cowl to go around it. On my old model the cowl slid under them and i found they were very fragile after a while. With the cowl cut i could then build a small air tunnel under the nose which lead into another tunnel in the wing so hot air can escape into the undercariage bay. Its worked a treat and the engine stays cool without any issues.

Here are some photos of the mods

dsc_0104.jpg

dsc_0105.jpg

dsc_0106.jpg

I am missing some photos of the cooling tunnel, and the cutout in the wing was lined with thin ply which is also not in my photo. When the time comes i can get those for you.

I also recommend you make the tail end as light as you can. I shrunk my tail from the kit size to the scale size (shown on the plans) and made it thicker. By the time i was done it weighed no more than the 1/4 version in the kit but even so my model needed alot of lead to balance it. Not that i was surprised, the nose is short and half a ton of Merlin is missing!

dsc_0098.jpg