Babybolt RCM&E Feb 2017 free plan

Peter G Simpson

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone other than myself plan on building this? Sure I've so many other things on the go but a little model like this really fits the bill. It's a warbird, it's a reasonably quick build and looks as though it could be flown anywhere. Tack ontop of that that I've supplys and batteries for 3 of these lil guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Peter,

I wish to build one later this year, actually some home refurbishment is blocking any model activity. Anyhow, may question is: do you think it is possible to fit a retractable landing gear?

Other thing: I read the article on RCM&E, and the power set you suggest seems little small. What power to weight ration did you consider or suggest?

Hi Mark,

Another experienced PSS flyer suggested a thinner section, so I modified the design of the wing components to incorporate the popular PSS section SD6060.

The modified parts can be found at this link. I didn't want to go much thinner due to strength. I haven't tried building the SD6060 wing myself so can not vouch for the accuracy of the parts which I have drawn.

Please let me know how you get on.

Posted by Fraazen on 11/02/2017 23:53:10:

Hello Peter,

I wish to build one later this year, actually some home refurbishment is blocking any model activity. Anyhow, may question is: do you think it is possible to fit a retractable landing gear?

Other thing: I read the article on RCM&E, and the power set you suggest seems little small. What power to weight ration did you consider or suggest?

Hi Fraazen,

One of the successes of the design is its light weight, although I am sure it would be easily possible to fit small retracts what is a relatively thick wing. However i think that the additional weight of the retracts and the mounting structure would detract from the pleasant flying characteristics.

on the subject of power, the setup used in the prototype works very well and gives it plenty of power, probably owing to the 750g weight of the prototype.

The specs of the setup are as follows. Typhoon Outrunner 6/20, KV: 1580, Max Current: 14A, Max Power: 150 Watts, Prop: 7 X 4, LiPo:3S 2200mAh. Motor weight 41g.

However, I did need to add 30g of weight to the nose to bring the CofG into the best place. As there is loads of room in the cowl for the motor, it would make sense to use that weight as motor rather than ballast. For example the AXI 2808/20 is 76g and would give considerably more power.

Let me know how you get on.

Hi Peter,

Yes I am planning on building one as soon as I have built a Black Magic. I loved the original design of Clive's from back in the early 80's. I built mine originally with an OS 10 in it. I had all but forgotten until your design came along and as I have been one to like Pete Nicholson's electric warbirds this would fit in nicely for me. Love the plan and am looking forward to building mine.

• 4 weeks later...

This model has certainly grabbed my attention. I would love to build it. But I'm probably the world's slowest builder, so it could be 2018 before I start and 2020 before I finish !

I don't have much space to store models, so usually try to build in a removable wing. That looks a little tricky on this one though as it would seem to require some serious modification to the belly keel. I am a newbie builder as well (building the bitty at the moment(, so the babybolt would be a challenge. I'm up for it though.

Given that I'm a newbie, it would be great if a woodpack was made available for this model.

Hi Kester,

Babybolt doesn't take up much room in the model shed. Converting to a removable wing would be possible but I am sure that the space saving would not really justify the additional complication and weight gain.

There is a wood pack available from the 'myhobbystores' shop along with the laser cut parts, cowl and canopy, and whats more it is also available from the Traplet shop, who currently have a special deal on the whole set.

**LINK**

Good luck and happy building.

• 2 weeks later...

Received the full Baby Bolt Set from Traplet Shop today. Their customer service is very good but they are VERY busy and it took a few days for them to ship (plus getting it across the pond). However, the result it is well worth the wait and the cost. I have built about twenty of the RCM&E free plans but this is my first try at using the parts pack. Should be a "doodle"(?). All of the wood appears to be in the pack (except the wing tips) and the laser cutting is outstanding. The fiberglass cowl is very sturdy but may be a challenge to install prototypically; we'll see. The canopy is beautiful.

We will spend 16-22 April in Kitty Hawk NC and I will get to spend the entire week building Baby Bolt. I expect to have it at least ready to cover (bare aluminum) before we return home. This is my first post to this site but I will try to keep you up to date and include some pictures as Baby Bolt comes together.

Fly often and safely,

Jim in Charlottesville Virginia

Hi Jim,

I'm delighted that you are going to build Babybolt, and are happy with the parts that you have received.

As for the cowl mounting method, I didn't put too much design into this area because I figure that anyone who tackles the build would most likely have their own preferred method of attaching a radial cowl anyway.

I'm looking forward to seeing the result of your build.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again from across the pond,

The Baby Bolt is to be my “at the beach project”; however, I discovered that the planned motor is a rear mount ONLY. So I had to construct the cowl in my home workshop (shed?) to assure that there would be no delays during construction at the beach. Anyway that is the excuse for premature construction. The pictures show the new firewall, how and where it is installed, and the finished cowl. All that is needed now is a fuselage, wings, empennage, and electronics; hopefully all done by 22 April when I must return to the real world.

BYW & FYI: “Kit” parts C8 are 1/8 inch too large vertically at the rear; but correct at front. A simple razor saw cut allows perfect fit. The rest of the cowl parts fit perfectly. A joy to build!!!

Fly safe and often,

Jim in Virginianew firewall.jpgcowl sideview.jpgcowl finished (rear).jpgcowl finished (ft).jpg

Hey Peter,

In the RCM&E article you mentioned that you added 10oz to Baby Bolt’s nose. I am exacerbating that issue by moving the motor back about 2 inches. However, I expect to solve this by placing two 9gm servos at or in front of the CofG. One will, of course, be for the stabilizer and the other for a functioning rudder. What do you think of this plan?

Thanks for your great plan,

Jim in Virginia

Hi Jim,

I needed to add 1oz (30g) of ballast to the front of the cowl on the prototype, bringing the CofG into the position shown on the plan. In that position she handles really well. Whatever you do, as long as the CofG is in the right place she will fly well.

I used a HET Micro 6/10 motor which weighs 43g, if your motor is heavier then you may not need ballast? Another option to avoid useless ballast would be to use a heavier motor, for example the AXI 2808 so the extra mass is useful.

I like your motor mounting modification, it looks like a cool solution to a rear mounted motor. And although you have moved the motor mounting plate back by 2 inches, the significant mass of the motor is still more or less in the same place. it's now in front of the mounting plate rather than behind. So I don't think that you'll have a problem. Moving the 9g elevator servo forwards is a good idea, but then you need a longer push rod which is extra weight still in the tail.

My prototype was fairly lightweight at 26.5oz (750g) ready to fly. Our original Clive Smalley P47's were quite a bit heavier at over 1kg as engines and radio were quite a bit heavier in those days, but and also flew really well thought faster and at 1Kg the extra power of the AXI 2808 would be necessary too.

Good luck with the build, I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

VBR - Peter

I'm just about to build the Baby Bolt and was a little confused over what motor to use, it seems the HET Typhoon micro 6/20 is no longer available and couldn't find anything that closely matched the specs, so was looking for advice, the AXI motor mentioned above is way too expensive for me to consider at £55 so I looked at 4Max and they do a 'claimed' equivalent http://www.4-max.co.uk/po-2830-1350.html What do you think?