Thunder Tiger 35% Extra 260 Build Blog

I'm still thinking / researching the best way to sort the servo problem. In the mean-time, I've turned my attention to the silencer mounts.

There are a few clamps / brackets around that will do the job of clamping / vibration damping / allowing cooling air to pass.

This is the Krumscheid system.

It looks good, but it looks as though they are made to fit a specific Krumscheid silencer with little adjustment. Mine are MTW, which might be slightly different diameter.

11-01-2017 20-24-02.jpg

This is the MTW system. Cheap and cheerful. I think it's made of wood.

This is the Secraft system. I like this, but I don't like the price, bearing in mind that I need four of them.

I've decided to make my own. Mainly for the challenge, but it will also save me a bit of money, that I can put towards a Powerbox maybe.

I already have some of THIS, but I've ordered another length to make sure I've got enough.

Here's the first one, which I'm happy with. Three more to make.

dscn5056.jpg

dscn5057.jpg

dscn5058.jpg

The hardest part was the CAD drawing to make the paper template which I stuck to the Aluminium.

silencer holder.jpg

The cutting was all done on a fret saw - fairly easy really. Had to drill a hole in the centre and pass the saw blade through the hole to start with.

I've made 2 with a 90 degree bend, which will be the rear end supports - screwed to the top face of the tunnel. The other two mounts will be side by side on a single flat plate. This will be fastened across the tunnel mouth from the front. I've made the paper template and will cut it out tomorrow. Cant finish it because I have run out of tubing.

silencer holder double.jpg

Edit.

I'm hoping the AUW will be under 14Kg.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 21/01/2017 19:15:22

I think that THESE might solve my servo matching problems. I'd also need one of THESE for programming the MicroMatches.

Bear in mind that I already have a JR RD922 Powersafe receiver, which provides redundancy in the power supplies and 3 separate satellite receivers. My only problem is that I have no means of providing the servo matching for the duel servo ailerons and rudder.

My thinking is to have one MicroMatch mounted in each wing, reducing the number of field connections I need to make. I might get away without using one for rudder servo matching because my transmitter CAN do that.

Any thoughts?

Posted by Gary Manuel on 21/01/2017 22:03:46:

I think that THESE might solve my servo matching problems. I'd also need one of THESE for programming the MicroMatches.

Bear in mind that I already have a JR RD922 Powersafe receiver, which provides redundancy in the power supplies and 3 separate satellite receivers. My only problem is that I have no means of providing the servo matching for the duel servo ailerons and rudder.

My thinking is to have one MicroMatch mounted in each wing, reducing the number of field connections I need to make. I might get away without using one for rudder servo matching because my transmitter CAN do that.

Any thoughts?

That would seem to fit the bill, Gary. I will see if anyone else has used one on the interweb. Here . They weren't out when I bought my PowerBox. I would have most probably got some...a cheaper alternative.

Edited By cymaz on 22/01/2017 07:05:54

Edited By cymaz on 22/01/2017 07:08:02

Posted by Gary Manuel on 21/01/2017 22:03:46:

Any thoughts?

What about the JR matchbox? That's what I was thinking of using.

Edited By Rich2 on 22/01/2017 08:02:12

Posted by john stones 1 on 21/01/2017 23:12:40:

Yes, you sure you can't slave aux channels ?

You can only Master / Slave the 4 main ones. What you CAN do is set any of them up as a programmable mix. I've actually had 4 channels moving from the Aileron stick. The problem is that only the proper Aileron channels respond to the aileron trim - the mix generated ones don't. This means that you could set the servo matching up, but as soon as you touch the trim, they would be unmatched again.

Posted by Rich2 on 22/01/2017 08:01:10:

What about the JR matchbox? That's what I was thinking of using.

Nothing wrong with them. They do the same job but the PowerBox MicroMatches are a lot cheaper - probably because they have replaced the adjustment buttons / dial by a separate USB or Bluetouth dongle and PC or phone App.

Edit - I've ordered them. I'll report back if / how well they work.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 22/01/2017 11:26:57

Front silencer bracket made. Looks like fibre glass in the photo, but it's Aluminium.

dscn5063.jpg

I've only got enough tubing to do one side and even then the lengths are a bit short and not straight. I'll redo all of these when postman delivers the tube I've ordered.

dscn5064.jpg

Air outlet opened up at the rear of the tunnel.

dscn5065.jpg

While I've got the iron out, I'll make a lip for the front of the tunnel outlet to create a low pressure area. My thinking here is to try to suck air out from the rear to help the air being pushed in at the front.

dscn5066.jpg

Job done.

dscn5067.jpg

Double knuckle header held in position and adjusted to give the best alignment.

dscn5072.jpg

I kept the header at full length at this stage to help align it with the centre of the front and rear brackets .....

dscn5073.jpg

.... but I did mark the length to cut the header to, leaving a 5mm gap.

dscn5074.jpg

After carefully removing the header to prevent it moving The two knuckle joints were silver soldered. The knuckle joints are a fairly tight fit, and showed no sign of wanting to move. Silver soldering was a lot easier than I expected. Propane gas torch had no difficulty at all heating the pipework up.

Silencer and header installed to make sure that nothing had moved.

dscn5075.jpg

Trial fit looks good to me smiley

dscn5076.jpg

Blue tubing moved to the other side for a trial fit.

dscn5080.jpg

All lined up ready for silver soldering.

dscn5081.jpg

Blue tubing cut in half for a trial fit of both sides together. It's noticeable that one side is different to the other - presumably due to the stagger of the cylinders

dscn5082.jpg

Rear end.

dscn5083.jpg

Now to remove it all so I can install the throttle servo and choke.

One thing I like about this engine is the choke mechanism. There's a lever on each end which are staggered by 90 degrees (see the red arrows in the photo). This gives the option of operating the choke using a servo rod / manual rod from either:

1. Top / bottom using the left hand lever.
  2. Front / rear using the right hand lever.

dscn5084.jpg

I've had a play with the MicroMatches and I'm very impressed.

This is definitely the right solution to my little problem. Servo centre position and both endpoints can be individually adjusted on both servos - no need to adjust sub-trims or end points on the tranny. Should make servo matching a doddle.

Not ready to try it on an actual working surface yet, but I'm sure it will be straight forward.

P.S. "Powerbox Terminal" program for the USB adapter doesn't work with Windows XP (needs .NET framework 4.5), but is OK with >= Windows 7.

Batteries, Receiver, Switch and servos tested. All looking good.

I had the choice of using the power plugs supplied with the PowerSafe receiver, or converting the receiver to suit the battery. I went for the latter as my charger is set up for XT60s. Servos are good for 8.4 Volts, allowing me to use unregulated 2 cell LiPo's dscn5085.jpg

Throttle servo and ball joint linkage set up.

Low throttle:

dscn5087.jpg

High throttle:

dscn5088.jpg