Thunder Tiger 35% Extra 260 Build Blog

Posted by john stones 1 on 26/01/2017 14:49:05:

How do's the servo perform speed/torque wise through the voltage range ?

You're obviously paying for the high voltage performance of these servos. It's unlikely that anyone would use them at regular voltage levels.

Most regular servos are quoted at 4.8v (4 x NiMh) and 6.0v (5 x NiMh). Most other HV servos are quoted at 6.0v and 7.2v (2 x LiFe). These are quoted at 6.0 and 8.4v (2 x LiPo).

Here's the specs.

Dead band:

1µs
Working frequency: 1520µs / 330hz
Motor: Coreless Motor
Operating Speed (6.0V): 0.152sec/60°
Operating Speed (8.4V): 0.123sec/60°
Stall Torque (6.0V): 17.25 kg.cm (239.55oz/in)
Stall Torque (8.4V): 20.32 kg.cm (281.89 oz/in)
Dimensions: 40.5 x 20.5 x 36.5mm /1.59 x 0.80 x 1.43in
Weight: 59.3g (2.09oz)
Connector Wire Length: 265 mm (10.43in)
Bearing: 2BB

Edited By Gary Manuel on 26/01/2017 15:06:10

Edited By Gary Manuel on 26/01/2017 15:07:32

Undercarriage bolted to the fuselage.

dscn5089.jpg

Wheels fitted - crikey, it's big!

The tail wheel is not supplied with the kit. I have one on order but it's not arrived yet.

dscn5093.jpg

Engine box lid epoxied ondscn5094.jpg

Shoulder added to the sides of the engine box, in front of the firewall to add strength.

dscn5095.jpg

Similar shoulder added to top and bottom.

dscn5096.jpg

Baffle added behind the engine in an attempt to keep the air close to the engine cooling fins as it passes

dscn5097.jpg

Rear view of the rear baffle.

dscn5098.jpg

Front baffle added to the lower half of the cowl.

dscn5099.jpg

Lower cowl fitted to check the fit of the baffles.

I might add a bit more baffling at extreme left and right later. Engine is obviously too small blush

dscn5100.jpg

Top half of the cowl fitted.

dscn5101.jpg

Close up.

dscn5107.jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 29/01/2017 23:04:21

Nice neat job Gary.

I would try and get some baffles up across near the cylinder heads. That would really get the air through the finning. At the moment the air might find that going around the top of the heads and missing the cylindersis the easiest path of travel. A pain, I know, but it's easy to do now while everything is in bits.

This   is worth a look

Edited By cymaz on 30/01/2017 06:29:42

Edited By cymaz on 30/01/2017 06:50:23

Balsa sides added after a fair amount of test fitting and trimming to suit.

dscn5109.jpg

Same with the other side.

dscn5110.jpg

Due to the shape of the hole in the front of the cowling, there is the inevitable compound curve to the piece at the top that bridges the side pieces.

Balsa soaked for a while, then left twisted using weights and wedges on top of the heater.

dscn5111.jpg

Cowl still goes on OK with the baffles in place.

dscn5117.jpg

This side looks OK ......

dscn5118.jpg

.... and so will this after a bit of trimming.

dscn5119.jpg

This is the back-plate to the spinner I'll be fitting. I don't like the corners where the edges of the baffles are visible.

dscn5120.jpg

A bit of thin ply should sort that, whilst not completely cutting the air flow over the crank case.

dscn5121.jpg

That's better. A bit of red colouring on the ply plate will finish it off. The baffles will be fuel proofed.

dscn5122.jpg

I'll not be using the supplied DLE sparkplugs. A pair of NGK CM6's has been fitted instead. I decided to install the ignition unit and ignition battery inside the engine box rather than on the outside as I usually do.

dscn5128.jpg

Plumbing sorted. The knotted tygon tube is the overflow pipe.

dscn5129.jpg

This is where the ignition unit has gone. Well out of the way of the exhaust pipes etc. This position also allows good routing of the two HT leads.

dscn5135.jpg

This is where the ignition battery has gone.

dscn5136.jpg

Engine box edges reinforced using 48g glass cloth and Mouldcraft SP115 epoxy resin. The whole area was fuel-proofed with this resin at the same time.

dscn5132.jpg

Red covering applied to the part of the lower cowl that shows at the edges of the spinner.

Bare balsa baffles fuel proofed with epoxy resin.

dscn5131.jpg

While epoxy is drying, I may as well make a start on servo fitting.

Elevator halves first. They are pre-hinged (including gluing), so that's one less job to do.

The arrows mark the position of the solid wooden control horn block.

dscn5137.jpg

Covering removed from the servo arm slots. These slots are the only access to the elevators apart from via the root.

dscn5138.jpg

The servos are mounted sideways inside the elevators. This has the advantages of looking nice and also resulting in the servo arm and control horn moving in the same plane. It has the dis-advantage of being a right pain to fit the servos. This is where the servos go.

dscn5142.jpg

The servo arms need to be fitted at this stage as the screws are not accessible once the servo is installed. The servo was connected to the receiver to allow the arm to be fitted on the right spline, centred and direction of rotation set. The servo arms are from Hobbyking and look very nice and solid.

dscn5140.jpg

The servo needs to be threaded into place from the root end and manipulated into place, but .......

dscn5141.jpg

...... before that can be done, the servo wire needs to be threaded through to servo hole and back out of the lightening hole - all via the small servo arm slot. This is the point where I was glad for the amateur gynaecology course I took at night school.

dscn5144.jpg

Once the servo was in place, the next task was to drill out the holes for the servo screws. This is a home-made drill I made from a steel pushrod off-cut.

dscn5145.jpg

Close up of the tip - it doesn't need to be perfect to cut through the ply.

dscn5147.jpg

Servo in its final place.

dscn5148.jpg

Unfortunately, because the servo arms don't stick out as far as the kit supplied ones, the arms were binding on the side of the servo arm slot.

dscn5149.jpg

Easily sorted with a bit of trimming.

dscn5151.jpg