Lavochkin La7 - Warbird Replicas Kit

Pete H

Love the green and black paint job, the satin finish sets it off a treat as well

I dont wish to over egg the pudding on this 'keep the back end light' thing but just to show how things can get out of hand the retracting tailwheel Pete is using will add over half a pound to the total weight of the model.

The unit on its own is 75g according to HK (although there is another weight listed of 154 for the same product. does this include the box it comes in?) and if we assume the weight/ballast position ratio is 3:1 with the weight at a the back 3 times further from the balance point than the weight we can use to offset it at the front.

So to balance the 75g added at the back we need 225g in the front. add the originial 75g and end up with a total of 300g or just over half a pound which is a fair chunk in a model this size.

I just hope the 75g weight is accurate and 154g weight they quote does include the box as if the unit is that heavy you add 1.3lbs to the model just for a tail wheel!

I am not trying to be all doom and gloom, i just know from bitter experience that it all adds up and if you arent careful you end up with 2lbs of lead in the cowling a model that has the flying qualities of a manhole cover

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 07/02/2017 10:56:31

Jon, I know I could be storing up problems so I'm going to wait until later in the build before sealing it up.
The unit is 75g in total and is mounted half way up the fuselage. I've saved half that by building up the tail.
It is possible to split the unit and move the servo motor (30g) forward but I'll see how it works out before doing that.

Hello Richard, nice to hear from you, i was hoping you would pitch in.

It's great to see Pete building the LA7, and doing a great job too. I still love mine, and am following this thread with great pleasure.

How many enquiries does it take for you to consider a run of a model ?

Do you still offer the larger version.

Apologies Pete, for taking it off thread slightly

Cheers

D.D.

Hi D ,....(hi?)

The 57" La7 is a doddle to do for us , So once the 110s , Hurricanes and Spitfire are done (by April) we might consider another run . We are very much reacting to petition now . If you read some of the "what kit next" thread on this forum you will understand that we are , despite this current flourish , backing out of the industry .

The larger La7 sold about 10 in the original batch . Everyone that had one loved it but they were all previous La7 owners. We had a great review with cracking pictures by Brian Brassey and there is an impressive you tube video .

It still fell flat . It would need ten confirmed purchasers to inspire me to do another run , The little one comes with an electric conversion option which appeals to a lot more people . It has lost weight too . The foam and glue on the wings have been changed twice to achieve weight loss .

This La7 makes a very interesting challenge to the FMS range of fighters. At this size , it flies much better in all weathers , doesnt get pock marked in the car and can be given a finish that looks far superior to the foam "alligator skin" .

Yes , you have to make it . But as Peter is showing , its "Blue Peter" building and no more difficult than a Wot 4.

Total cost of the electric La7 compared to FMs is pretty much the same , but the La7 will be there in ten years, the FMS model wont be .

A bit like choosing a wife ,.....think long term, not just Friday night . .

Hi Piers ,

Assuming a batch of ten , the 63" La7 would be £169 each . They have a large epoxy cowl with enough space for most motors . Any 90 -120 FS would be fine . 150 also .

Like I say , there is a good you tube video of the 63" version , I cant paste the link but if you just type Warbirds Replicas La7 , it will come up . Its "white 27 " flown on a windy day , With amusing sound track .

Richard

Richard, for me, I'm down for the 110,which will probably take me a year to build ?? (hope not) after that it'll be what ever is available in your range of kits with specific interest in spitfire, hurricane, mustang, or hopefully a tempest or typhoon, as you know I already have the smaller LA7. So no rush for me. Cheers Graham , keep up the good work, and don't give up on us "balsa bashers".wink

The 110 is tempting but I mustn’t get distracted.

I’ve started to cut the retracts into the wings. I started by cutting the mounting plates in to the leading edge of the wing. These are angled so that the wheels are slightly forward of the mounting point when deployed.

Then I marked the position of the wheel well and cut through the veneer with a compass cutter. This worked better than expected.

lavochkin la7 2017-02-12_134850 00.jpg

The retract units were lined up and a straight cut was made between the mounting plate and the wheel well to take the leg.

I found a hole cutter and was able to to cut the foam by spinning it by hand in reverse so that it scraped away at the foam rather than the teeth digging in and tearing at it.

lavochkin la7 2017-02-12_134850 02.jpg

The hole cutter was removed and the foam pulled out of the well. A bit of sandpaper was attached to a piece of foam to make a sanding disc to tidy up the bottom of the well.

lavochkin la7 2017-02-12_134850 03.jpg

Sandpaper was also wrapped around the outside of the hole cutter to finish the sides of the well.

lavochkin la7 2017-02-12_134850 04.jpg

The retracts were offered up to make sure everything fits.

lavochkin la7 2017-02-12_134850 05.jpg

The observant amongst you will spot the mistake…

The wheels are supposed to be fitted to the other side of the leg. So a bit more sanding and we are nearly there.

lavochkin la7 2017-02-12_142150 06.jpg