Lavochkin La7 - Warbird Replicas Kit

Pete H

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Richard's generosity I have snaffled the 57" secret stash Lavotchin. It will sit very nicely with my Warbirds Replicas Spitfire and P51D.

I spent a very pleasant couple of hours with Richard, he is an absolute mine of information and has a vast knowledge of everthing Warbird. I also had a quick look at the 110, a lovely model in every respect.....oh boy, if only I had the time..... if only I had the money!

This thread will be watched by me with even greater interest now. I rate that hole saw method for the retract well highly, I will be using that for sure. My LA7 will have a non-retractable tailwheel and as it will be electric it is going to be lightened wherever possible.

The build won't be started until later in the year but I'm really looking forward to it. I wish you every success Pete, it's going great guns so far.

Thanks Roger, it's still 50/50 if my retracting tailwheel stays. If I can't get the plane to balance I will remove it.

I haven’t made as much progress as I would like but I have managed to find time to repaint the pilot figure I brought. He looked a bit cheap and I also had to extend the body so that he could see out of the windows. I just used a piece of white packing foam for the body and sanded roughly to shape. Not much will be seen so I wasn’t seeking perfection.

This is my first attempt at painting a figure. I don’t think he came out too bad and he certainly looks a bit more realistic.

Before

lavochkin la7 2017-02-17_044714 00.jpg

After

lavochkin la7 2017-02-25_200934 00.jpg

lavochkin la7 2017-02-26_035402 01.jpg

I also found a picture online of a cockpit that is available for a larger model. I straightened it up in some photo editing software and scaled to fit. I think it will look ok once fitted.

lavochkin la7 2017-02-25_115315 02.jpg

Edited By Pete H on 25/02/2017 20:39:44

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The larger La7 either in our 63" version or the 72" version that we have also drawn up , could only be produced if they were petitioned like the Bf 110 or Hurricane.

Apart from the Spitfire , I am not going to keep the other kits in stock or make them on the off chance that somebody might buy one one day .

So I guess its down to you guys , The 63" version is complete and ready to go so that is the easier of the two . It will take a lot of different motors and is not too big for electric .

Richard

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 07/03/2017 12:56:45:

I'd take one to put in the build queue thumbs up. I'd guess the 63" would be happy with a 90 4 stroke, though I do have an MVVS90 2 stroke kicking it's heels...

Agreed. 70 (a decent one) - 90 4 stroke would be what i expect with an 80 being what i would use myself.

Shame about the 72 inch version though, 120-150 4 stroke would be ace in one of those

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 07/03/2017 17:02:00:

Ah but I have an early RCV91CD tucked away, that's probably only the equivalent of anyone else's 70 or 80! My one 'spare' 120 is earmarked for a TF P40 (Gold edition 64".

The 120 might kill the P40. I read a review done on that and performance was said to be satisfactory with a 70 surpass fitted! if its 10lbs or under I wouldn't go bigger than a 90, and if its over 10lbs I would burn it as I'm not flying a manhole cover

TF themselves suggest 90-120! The builds I've seen on RCG also favour the bigger motors, but then again Yanks like cubes wink. The engine is an ASP which is a step or two down on Surpass power. I have a Surpass II in my Ta152, and that will happily spin a 16*8*3 when it's in a good mood, the ASP would have a fit trying to turn that.

Yes the yanks build bricks and then power them to reach supersonic speed. Its not how i like to build models it has to be said.

I dont bother with any of the American forums for that reason. Unless is weighs 100 ton and has a massive 'modor' up front running 50% nitro they arent interested. As an example, its not uncommon for a model like the La7 or P40 to be 16lbs or more which is utter madness. Trying to land it would be like bringing in the space shuttle, it will be burning up!

Jon that flying shot looks great.

There has been a bit more work on the wing the retracts are all in and patched up. I will cut a piece of balsa to infill the retract fixing plate and will fix this with a dab of superglue so that the retract could be removed at a later date without damaging the wing too much.

lavochkin la7 2017-03-02_201708 05.jpg

I installed the capping for the aileron whist it was still attached to the wing by cutting a slot through the veneer on both sides and removing the foam so that the capping strips could be glued in place. Once dry I added some capping to the end of the aileron and tacked on the wing tips (I need to remove later). This allowed them to be sanded to match the aerofoil.

lavochkin la7 2017-02-27_184430 00.jpg

lavochkin la7 2017-02-27_184410 03.jpg

The ailerons were then cut free and the torque rods were fitted. It would have been easier to cut the servos in the wing with a short pushrod like an ARTF but I wanted the clean lines under the wing.

lavochkin la7 2017-03-04_131512 04.jpg

The servo wells were cut in.

lavochkin la7 2017-03-04_131456 06.jpg

Wires were run for lights in the tips.

lavochkin la7 2017-03-07_162150 07.jpg

Finally the wings were joined.

lavochkin la7 2017-03-07_162156 08.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been slow progress a due to lack of time available to spend building.

Now that the wings are I mocked up the weight of the engine servos etc… to get an idea how it was balancing. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was close enough that I would be able to keep the retractable tail wheel set up. The work to reduce the weight in the tail feathers was worth it.

lavochkin la7 2017-04-01_184033 01.jpg

I’ve also started on the fairings between the fuselage and wing. I decided to clad the ply plate with balsa so that I could then sand it back to blend it in.

lavochkin la7 2017-04-01_184140 00.jpg

lavochkin la7 2017-04-01_184218 04.jpg

The cowl has also been trimmed and glued together. It comes in three parts and was fiddly to get all the joints to line up. I couldn’t help thinking that it would have been easier if the cowl was made from two pieces, the front moulding and a flat sheet that is then rolled in to a tube and joined. The joint could then be on the underside. I suspect Richard will have a reason why.

lavochkin la7 2017-04-01_184051 02.jpg

The exit cooling vent for the engine was cut free and glued to the front bulkhead. Since the picture was taken I have trimmed the overhang back to the firewall.

lavochkin la7 2017-04-01_184113 03 cropped.jpg

I finally worked out the programming of an Arduino to enable navigation lights and a couple of flashing led’s to simulate machine gun firing, both can be controlled from the transmitter. Hopefully they will be visible in the air.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Pete!

This build brings back some memories. The La7 was one of my first kits I built. And I sure made a lot of builder misstakes, such as using epoxy glue on almost all parts (hey, it cured faster than PVA ). It turned out a bit overweight, but that thing still flew!

In fact this build thread have inspired me to get a new kit and give it another go ten years later
So PM sent to Richard.

• 2 weeks later...