Lavochkin La7 - Warbird Replicas Kit

Pete H

You can see the larger La7 on you tube with Bony M's "Rasputin " sound track . (amusing ) That one was built from my first and only batch by my old friend Brian Brassey up in the Wirral . His Grandson Dominic flew it with his usual style . Its always windy up there but neither it , nor Dominic seem to care !

It is a super plane to fly and with its massive cowl you can put any motor or electric combo you like in .

Maybe a link to the new 63 " La7 thread would help ? Since 2003 an amazing amount of the small ones have been sold , so a lot of those chaps may be keen to do the bigger one .

Richard

Guys.............My reference was to someone who makes a F/S petrol engine........I thought you did Jon. I thought I had seen a reference in another thread to a petrol/Gas engine you were making.

I have gotten rid of all my glow engines bar a F/S 40 in a lancer 3 channel. It's petrol or Electric all the way now. 

Saito GF-14CFour Stroke Petrol Engine

Apologies for taking the thread off line a bit.

D.D.

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 27/04/2017 10:02:12

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 27/04/2017 09:17:32:

Regarding choice of glow motors Jon, what would you recommend for the 63in Lavochkin La7, Laser 80, 100 or 120 devil ?

The 80 would be plenty but the 100 will fit i expect if anyone wants even more power! Richard has confirmed that the prototypes were pretty light and certainly didnt need more than a 90, and one that flew on a 120 kept getting its pilot in hot water when it flew it due to its bullet like speed!

As for petrol, the 180 is the one i am working on the most, but there are other avenues being explored. I have converted a 100 and with my pump/regulator setup performance is far better than i expected. I will be air testing the engine soon but dont everyone start getting excited as its a total lash up experiment right now.

Just saw the price of that fg14......yikes.

Our 80 is £229

£188 difference gets you about 11 gallons of glow fuel which is about 200 flights with a Laser 80. if you flew the model 40 flights in a year it would take 5 years before you ended up spending the same as just buying that and not flying it. Assuming my maths is right!

If my 100 works it will be a darn sight cheaper than £420 i can assure you

Posted by Dwain Dibley. on 27/04/2017 10:40:47:

I appreciate that Jon, but glow is such a faff, the 100 sounds very interesting though....

Pull yer finger out Matey.......cheekywink

D.D.

Believe me, petrol is 10 times the faff of glow. But i think that is a conversation for another thread!

Piers, we already need more staff. I get so lonely There is also too much for just one person to do, which is why things take forever. Dont expect to see the 100 within a year, even if it passes my tests when i fly it there is no way im going to get the parts needed to produce them for a long time.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 27/04/2017 11:10:45:
Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 27/04/2017 10:32:13:

If my 100 works it will be a darn sight cheaper than £420 i can assure you

If your 100 works and you decide to put it into production you will need bigger premises/ more staff!

And I will be at the head of the queue which will be backed up to the M25 carpark - I am with DD get your finger out cheekywink Ace

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve progressed a little further with the build and covered the fuselage using the brown paper method. This was a first for me but it went on better than expected which is fortunate as I brought 250m of the stuff!

I fitted a small led in the rudder and soldered the wires before covering the rudder and rear stab in solar film due to the the open structure.

The only problems I had was the rudder fillets needed far more sanding to blend the fuselage into to the rudder which took longer than expected to get right. I also had to cut quite a large hole in the cowl for the engine to fit.

Couldn’t resist a putting it all together to see how it looks.

lavochkin la7 2017-05-15_010812 04.jpg

lavochkin la7 2017-05-15_010756 03.jpg

I have to thread the lighting cable through the fuselage and hinge the rudder and connect the pull pull cables then it just the wings left to do.

Lookin good Pete but I'm sure you could mount the cowl and install the engine through that hole!

I'm sure its as small as you could make it, although I am surprised its that big.
What you could do if you like is get a piece of litho plate and cut holes just big enough to clear the engine parts that poke out/need access. You can then screw it to the cowl to cover more of the engine. If another is mounted to the other side you can blag them as scale cowling panels or whatever. Once its painted up it would look ace with some little screws holding it down, and the paint will scratch up and give a nice weathered look too. If you glue some thin strips of ply inside the cowl the screws will have something to bite on to so it would be very secure.

It wont be much work and would really enhance the look of the model. I often make similar cover plates to hide my retracts as you can just see on the pic below

img_6624.jpg