Lavochkin La7 - Warbird Replicas Kit

Pete H

• 11 months later...

It’s been nearly a year since I last updated this build blog primarily because I haven’t spent much time working on the La-7.

The only real changes since my last update have been painting and the installation of the servos etc… The painting created far more mess that I expected and mixing the colours was difficult but I think the overall finish looks close enough.

Well today was the day. The La-7 was finally assembled and the engine started for the first time in a year.

I just need to find a spare weekend for the maiden flight.

lavochkin la7 2018-05-13_135646 02.jpg

lavochkin la7 2018-05-13_135646 03.jpg

lavochkin la7 2018-04-15_172928 06.jpg

lavochkin la7 2018-04-15_172928 02.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Calling anyone who might have the original article "The July 03 RCME featured the Warbird Replicas Lavochkin La7", I have looked in the digital old copies, but it does not seem to go that far back! 

Failing that any other reviews or information as I am a late joiner to the party!

Was the review of the of the smaller version or the bigger one (more interested in this one)?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am going to stick with this thread as its only 5 pages and mine won't take up too much space as I troll through the others and pick the bones out. Famous last words as I have never built a veneered wing model, but it won't be my last!

Starting the La7 soon as autumn appears to have fully arrived1 

• 1 year later...

D1369054743_La7a.jpg.64daafa4812c4774966ba3205cae5b58.jpg

Graham R came down to our patch today , and knowing that he was building one of my 57" La7s , I dragged out the old La7 and fired up its OS 52FS .

Despite being gummed up after a five year lay up ,  she flew like the old pro .....

I think he wanted to take her home . Must be well over 1000 flights on it !    I have to say , those earlier "cruder" kits may not win any scale comps , but when its blowing a steady 12mph , they dont shirk their duties .  Maybe we tend to overthink the whole sport scale scene ?

He did fly it rather well , I have to say . The old Sandown showman was definitely in evidence . 

• Like 7

Too many diversions Richard, all my time this year so far has been finishing off an 11 year restoration of my 1960 Fairthorpe Zeta, completed a couple of weeks ago, it was worth all the blood, sweat and tears along the way. Ford Zephyr straight 6 engine, Raymond Mays cylinder head and triple Weber 40 carbs, it showed 160 bhp on a rolling road (sorry for the thread drift!)

IMG_20230429_153312_resized_20230503_113831362.jpg

• Like 3