Photos of a messy workshop...

Chris Barlow

With my A-10 in the sign writing shop (read dining room table) and my TN electric Bronco stalled waiting for more 1/16th balsa I finally made a start on this years mass build.

Having met Lindsay several times and seeing the models he comes up with I was quite pleased when Skywriter was chosen for this years build and although I don't particularly need another vintage style bipe I do have space for an small aerobatic electric one.

So the plan is a little tweak to the wing section, strong foam core wings and a bit of lightening at the tail end to avoid any additional nose weight and we're away.

I started on Sunday with the fuselage, cutting out the sides and doublers and laminating them together. Whilst the glue was drying I cut the forward formers and stuck the fin/rudder together over the plan, leaving to dry over night.

Monday night these were peeled off the bench and the tail plane was glued up over the plan. I used slightly smaller widths for the tail plane peices, 19mm wide IIRC. Final task for the evening was to cut and glue some 1/4 sq longerons to the inside of the fuselage sides.

Tuesday evening I was lazy and watched some you tube and fell asleep!

Tonight having just received some electrical goodies from HK I was able to position and fit captive nuts for the motor and test the position of F2 before chucking the lot into the fuselage jig with some aliphatic. Amazingly it all landed like this!

20170125_205125.jpg

(the tail surfaces are there because I'm impatient)

Captive nuts for the motor. I really don't like fixing the crucifixes with plain wood screws!

20170125_205138.jpg

This is where the tail is up too. Still need to cobble some elevators together.

20170125_205206.jpg

And finally the power plant.

20170125_205245.jpg

That's where I'm up to right now. Later I be back on it to pull the tail of the fuse together glue up an elevator.

Umm, Cheapest I could find on HK. laugh

Seriously though, it's a Turnigy Aerodrive 3542 1000kv (max 625w I think) with a 65A ESC to tame it. I'm planning to run it on either 3000mah 3s or 4800mah 3s depending on current draw and balance requirements. Propped to draw around 450 - 500w.

Should keep things cool that way I hope?

Posted by Chris Barlow on 25/01/2017 21:58:12:

Umm, Cheapest I could find on HK. laugh

Seriously though, it's a Turnigy Aerodrive 3542 1000kv (max 625w I think) with a 65A ESC to tame it. I'm planning to run it on either 3000mah 3s or 4800mah 3s depending on current draw and balance requirements. Propped to draw around 450 - 500w.

Should keep things cool that way I hope?

Turnigy Aerodrive and Turnigy AE ESC's play well together in my experience.

625 on 3S means max. 56A, so you motor should burn before the ESC does.

Whether things stay cool depends on the propeller you mount. But if you set this up to with a 13x8 it will draw around 450W (safe).

Should work,

Lucas

A bit more done last night and tonight. I haven't used formers F5 to F9 instead electing to use 1/4 sq spreaders across the fuselage instead. Whilst still in the jig the rear sides were pulled in over the spreaders and the fin post scribed and glued. I cut some 1/8 balsa sheet to match the curves over the unused formers and very carefully cut the slots for the stringers. These were then glued to the top of the spreaders in the original former positions.

Tonight I have fitted all the stringers down the sides and over the 1/8th formers, carefully filing any slots that were a bit tight. That little task has taken the best part of 2 hours and the fuselage now looks more like a porqupine!

20170127_004143.jpg

I've also fitted the 1/4 balsa triangle under the chin of the nose. I still have to sort out the wing mounting plate and dowel former, battery cradle and some more 1/4 sq uprights down the fuselage to stop the sides from cupping.

Posted by Chris Barlow on 27/01/2017 01:08:16:

A bit more done last night and tonight. I haven't used formers F5 to F9 instead electing to use 1/4 sq spreaders across the fuselage instead. Whilst still in the jig the rear sides were pulled in over the spreaders and the fin post scribed and glued. I cut some 1/8 balsa sheet to match the curves over the unused formers and very carefully cut the slots for the stringers. These were then glued to the top of the spreaders in the original former positions.

I've also fitted the 1/4 balsa triangle under the chin of the nose. I still have to sort out the wing mounting plate and dowel former, battery cradle and some more 1/4 sq uprights down the fuselage to stop the sides from cupping.

This makes sense! if you have longerons this is a very light and clean contruction. Do you need to do some diagonals where the formers were or is the fuse torsionally stiff as it is now?

Lucas

I was going to cut holes in the 1/8 sides between the formers but decided to leave them solid to save putting any diagonal bracing in. The fuselage is very, very stiff with the external stringers added too so I do think you could cut the holes in the sides without any additional strengthening. Wish I'd done it now! crying