What's the main radio brand you use 2017?

We have brought this poll to you before, first in 2012 and then in 2014 and the results were different each time. 

2012 the top three were:

Futaba 41%

Spektrum 34%

JR 10%

2014 the top two switched:

Spektrum 38%

Futaba 31%

JR 9%

So we wanted to find out just how different your choice is 3 years later. So please enter our poll and discuss below!

You can take a look at the full 2012 results here and the full 2014 results here

Edited By Beth Ashby Moderator on 03/02/2017 15:07:05

JR at the moment with a mix of JR Spektrum Rx's, gradually changing to FrSky, would have stayed with JR but don't really like the look and feel of their new style Tranny plus the versatility offered by my Taranis is unmatched by any of the major brands except maybe Multiplex and they are not so readily available this side of the Atlantic.

Yes I too enjoyed the open programming of my MPX 3030 for many years. I got fed up of waiting for Multiplex to get to grips with 2.4GHz though, so fitted a Jeti module. Then Jeti brought out their own Tx, with even better open programming so, as the 3030 was getting a bit long in the tooth, I bought a Jeti DS16 and am still able to use those old 2009 receivers.

For me it has been OS Cougar, Skyleader, and I would have stuck with Skyleader, but a move to the Netherlands meant I had to have what was approved there, so it was Sprengbrook. The end of the Sprengbrook saw a brief move to Futaba in the 90s before I "needed" the Graupner MC 24.

A sample Jeti transmitter module that was only intended for a quick trial led to me being purely Jeti from the first day that I tried it, and that remains in my MC 24.

Posted by Trevor on 03/02/2017 22:11:47:

Yes I too enjoyed the open programming of my MPX 3030 for many years. I got fed up of waiting for Multiplex to get to grips with 2.4GHz though, so fitted a Jeti module. Then Jeti brought out their own Tx, with even better open programming so, as the 3030 was getting a bit long in the tooth, I bought a Jeti DS16 and am still able to use those old 2009 receivers.

Apart from coming from Futaba, exactly the same experience. I contacted John Emms within a couple of days of seeing the Jeti modules in the new products section of RCM&E back in '09. With a sizeable investment in receivers and sensors, I did resist buying a DS-16 for several months after launch but after biting the financial bullet haven't had a moment's regret. I'm very pleased with the continuing support and improvements in the software which has released even more of the system's potential at no extra cost and being able to speak to or email the factory development engineers is a real bonus.

I've said it before, but I used to be a Futaba user - since about 1974. But I started using FrSky FASST-compatible receivers shortly after they became available and never had a problem with them. Now enjoying the versatility and telemetry of the Taranis.

One thing that always surprises me on these surveys is how popular (apparently) Spektrum is.  Where I fly hardly anybody uses Spektrum - I'm not at all sure why,  maybe one of our early adopters had a bad experience with them?

Edited By John Privett on 04/02/2017 00:38:28

Spektrum DsmX for me. The first 2.4ghz i received was with a ready to fly model, so built on that system.

Had my first crash incident in many years during the week and we found the culprit, the antenna wire had worn through at the Knuckle joint of the DX6i leaving me with loss of signal. not only that, I was explaining this at the field today and we checked another modellers transmitter and Guess what? his wiring is very close to being fully severed too, he was probably only a few weeks away from losing a model. I bet a few models have been lost because of this problem.

other than that the system has worked faultlessly for many years.

FrSky seem to be gaining in popularity and in my experience they are widely used by those with considerable IT knowledge and affection!

I am useless with computers and have little or no interest in them. (Good job I'm retired eh?) I have stayed with Spektrum for years. I have sometimes struggled to understand how to programme the transmitter but have always eventually worked it out so I see no need to change.

Very interesting survey as this and previous surveys are obviously biased to the group of people on the forum and probably not that related to sales. ARTF and all included packages probably account for large quantities of sales all be it high volume. compared to low volume/high cost.

Well done for putting up the question (previous years and this one),

At the two clubs that I belong to (so about 220 members) only Futaba and Spektrum feature as the main brands. Frsky mainly as receivers used with mainstream makes of tranny, but only a few Taranis transmitters - the programming bother still being its weakness for most people and putting them off (including me). A pity because I think the gear is maturing and becoming quite good now.

MacGregor SC, ACOMS, Fleet, Futaba FF8/FF9, JR9303. Then JR XG11 currently and very pleased with it too, I wanted telemetry and the DMSS protocol. It is a crowded market with so many brands one wonders how they can all survive in the present climate, particularly JR who were always a minority player.

If I were to change brands I would definitely consider FrSKY although frequent 'improvements' in the software and 'upgrades' in the hardware could turn out to be a bit of a pain? I like the sound of Jeti but again a niche market and what is the future for them, although they have been around a while now. The problem of switching brands is that you have to change all your receivers so a bit of continuity would be most welcome. Still, if we didn't change brands occasionally they would all go to the wall.

FrSky for the last five years or so. I'm not that surprised that Spektrum is ahead as there are lots in use in my club. I have to say though that there are a number of members who cannot be bothered with things like rates and expo - at least one member still sticks multiple models on one memory and sets up each model to suitsurprise

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 04/02/2017 10:40:26

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 04/02/2017 10:02:08:

MacGregor SC, ACOMS, Fleet, Futaba FF8/FF9, JR9303. Then JR XG11 currently and very pleased with it too, I wanted telemetry and the DMSS protocol. It is a crowded market with so many brands one wonders how they can all survive in the present climate, particularly JR who were always a minority player.

If I were to change brands I would definitely consider FrSKY although frequent 'improvements' in the software and 'upgrades' in the hardware could turn out to be a bit of a pain? I like the sound of Jeti but again a niche market and what is the future for them, although they have been around a while now. The problem of switching brands is that you have to change all your receivers so a bit of continuity would be most welcome. Still, if we didn't change brands occasionally they would all go to the wall.

JR has gone. They shut down a short while ago

Home made S/C until mid 70's then Futaba(27mHz AM; 35mHz FM and FASST) until now. Plug ins for the later Futaba(FF8,FF9,FF9S and T12FG) giving FASST, FrSky D & X, DSM2/DSMX. Got a Taranis with plug in for FASST and DSM2/DSMX but not happy with the programming and constant updating

Rx are Micron/GWS/Futaba/Hitech/Jeti//FrSky/Spectrum and OrangeRx for various frequencies and protocols. Everything still works fine, although I'd be a bit doubtful about using 27mHz AM other than for boats.