Tim's Skywriter Build

Tim Ballinger

interestingly even though the fuzz sides were cut short in the wood pack the actual length of the wood was just right. So I undid the cnc cut with some thin cyan , extended the lines and hey presto. Join looks good enough for now. will pay more attention later.

Doublers glued on , flush top and bottom as per plan not with the 6mm gap at the top as indicated in the original build log.

Glad you like it Tim. Make sure you read and understand the instructions and use the grid to full effect! Don't forget to mark the center of the formers for alignment too.

The jig uprights aren't as stiff as they could be so use a square to check the fuselage sides against the base board. If you need to you can use elastic bands across the top of the black uprights to pull them in a little.

Looks good sitting there. Make sure you do a dry assembly run first before glue.

yes

Clever to fill the laser cut and extend the fuselage sides!

The plastic angles of the jig are a bit weak, resulting in the sides only being pressed in near the bottom. Often this does not matter but where it does I use rubber bands at the top. (see some pictures in the Gentle Curves thread if this is unclear).

Good luck Tim.

Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 11/02/2017 13:17:47

img_0881.jpgThe power of ammonia?

Admittedly it did not take as much pressure as I had been expecting but having clamped the tail posts together I gave each side, inside and out, below the tail seat a coat of ammonia. Left it couple of hours and took the clamp off to find it had pretty much set in the right position. Hopefully no dramas after it has been glued.

Sound more then enough. With 900kv on 4 cell a 11x7 prop will give you more then 500W already. With too much power on tab you have to be careful with the throttle: Lots of power gives lots of torque and when that is applied at low speed you may stall the left wing.

I witnessed a crash on our (ice)field a few weeks ago where I think this is what happened. The pilot pulled the plane off at too low speed and went steep up. When things became unstable he jammed the throttle and a split second later he spiralled down anticlockwise. Since he was only 5-10 m. up he had no chance to correct. Lots of damage.

But then, you can always set the throttle endpoint under 100%. That gives you added flightime too.

Lucas