Tim's Skywriter Build

Tim Ballinger

Another session this evenening ,bit more wind which made spotting the landing a lot easier. Really enjoyed this evening , really big lazy loops and me a bit more relaxed. As I was running with a bit of down and right trim which was not needed under no power I Think a a smidge more downthrust and right thrust on the motor is required. A single washer should suffice.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Had about a dozen sessions now and still in one piece !

I have definitely got it well over powered, it is currently limited to 80% max power and I am probably flying most of the time at half that. Will probably change the motor when I find a project to use the power of the current one.

I have the deflections cut down quite a bit from where I started as it is definitely a very sparky performer if you want it.; at least it seems it to this old pilot.

I think it's at its best flying really slowly when it really does look like a proper old biplane. As I think Linds said originally it is however quite slippery so if you only have a short strip like me, beware.

I guess I could cut the grass more often but as it gets longer I have decelerated into a slow motion nose over on a few occasions now so I might just bend a new u/c with a bit more forward rake.

That's it for a bit , off to the Weston park show tomorrow so hope the weather holds.

Tim

Hi Tim,

You are quickly becoming the expert on Skywriter flying. I am looking forward to getting her completed coming winter.

Start exersizing on side slip to steepen your approach. It is fun to do (if you get the nack) and looks very authentic.

What size wheels do you have. Ballerina's 80 mm. wheels never nose over. It is worth giving bigger wheels a try, a more forward raked gear can lead to instability (and ground looping) on take off.

Cheers, Lucas

Wheels are same size as yours Lucas. It only happens when grass is too long and it seems to grow inches every night atm. I didn't quite give the full rake first time round so I have a bit in hand. Loved sideslip when I flew full size but never tried it with a model yet. So much easier when you are sitting in it.

Tim

• 8 months later...

Pete,

Good to hear another one is ready to fly. As it happens I am about to take advantage of today’s sunshine and take mine out for a fly. However I find it very responsive at the plan cg position and my notebook tells me I am currently using:-

Ailerons 7mm (L) 9mm (H)

Elevator 20mm (L) 27mm (H)

Rudder 25 mmm

I also have 40% expo on everything.

Hope that helps

Tim