Tim's Skywriter Build

Tim Ballinger

This start to look like a very complete fuselage Tim.

I have good experiences with hatches only hold by magnets, if - and only if - they magnets are kept well aligned. It looks like your hatch can slide to the side. Would if be an idea to use 2 little balsa lists to lock the hatch in place sidewise?

Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 26/02/2017 09:22:30

Thanks Lucas, It is currently restrained sideways only by the cutouts in the hatch end formers that fit over the longerons . I have been debating putting some 'tabs' on the inner side face which is what I think you are suggesting. Certainly going to need some form of pseudo handle like Lyndsy had or it will be nearly impossible to get off. Alternative is use two little latches to keep it straight but that seems to go against the concealed feature of the magnets....but would give something to grab when pulling it off.

Tim

The hatch end should be more then enough, if needed reinforced by a 6x3 mm list glued on the bottom. That will not make the hatch opening narrower - our hands are always too big.

Forces on the hatch when flying are negligible, so if the magnets are so strong that you do not manage to open the hatch you may cut of the former ends so you can push it sideways until the magnets loose their grip. That is how I take off the Ballerina hatch (which has a dowel in front and magnets back.

Lucas

Lucas,

Funnily enough I was thinking about that when I made the tray so I dropped it down from f3 to the floor and there is room to slide the battery forward into the front cowl (i.e. Under the engine) . I have a piece of 6m square balsa in place which stops that atm but easy to remove I need to move the battery forward.

I started the tailplane last night and my good intentions to laminate the le like you evaporated when I saw all the pre cut 6mm in the wood pack. Just too tempting.

img_0915.jpg

Tim