Tim's Skywriter Build

Tim Ballinger

My thoughts about a fan/ sunburst across the top wing was my first thought too Tim. I thought orange and white for two reasons , I have some orange and white chequerboard Toughlon left over from another model for underneath the lower wing, The second reason for orange is to put to bed a long held belief that orange is an unlucky colour for me. OK I'm not really superstitious.

As for HK film I went to their website the other evening and it wasn't playing nice. I'l try again today.

Martin

No it was the sentiment that got that card chosen . I was indulged with an hour in a stampe a couple of years ago though. My full size flying days ended when I sold my open class cirrus and bought a horse to join the wife. I found Flying was too time consuming for a good family life. But my head is still in the clouds.

Tim

Tim, these inserts are much more elegant than T-nuts, not in the least because one can insert them from the same side as the bolt will go in later. I looked at the model fixing site but they only have M4 and upper. OK for wing bolts but M3 is what one needs for struts, motor mounts etc.

Do you use M4 for the struts, or have you found a suppliers that has M3 inserts?

Lucas

Hi eventually found the details of the company I bought M3 inserts from. They're called Inserts Direct I Googled them, they still exist but prices on their site are for 1,000 off quantities. As I found their details on my phone! I guess I rang them and asked for some samples or a smaller quantity, which they supplied.

More than enough! I will order some. How much did you pay? By the way, was it 2 times 4mm ply - not light ply - that you tested?

Lucas

Ps. Load on the upper will also be transferred to the lower wing through the outer struts. Probably not the same load on every attachment point, but better than a wing without outer struts.

Having deviated from the original fixings had to adjust the strut length by 10mm to alllow room for the brackets and bolt/screw heads. I used the same thickness Ali for the brackets as the cabane strut which is probably overkill but it is what I had to hand. Angles are such that the brackets are 2 bespoke sets of three. Angle is set to match the cabane struts with a slight tweak for final ease of fit. No bolts at this stage just 2mm wire in the holes to ensure I have a fit which does not preload the wings.

img_0937.jpg

img_0938.jpg

img_0939.jpg

img_0940.jpg

Nice that someone goes in front.... Would it be more elegant to have the lugs coming out of the wing going between the strut reinforcements.The strut is 2 mm ply isn't it. If one reinforced with 1.5 or 2mm each side at the ends and then "clamp" the lug between the reinforcment with a M3 (or M3) bolt.

What do you think?

Lucas

I did start thinking about sandwiching the Ali but as I was using 2mm thick it all started to feel too thick for a strut end but in principle you are absolutely right about it being the elegant solution. Of course if you stick with original lug fixed in the wing there isn't this problem ! It's the issue of leaving enough space for fiddling 2 screws into place that I think creates the problem. Having 'profiled' the lugs, from the outside I do not see the lugs as they are behind the strut .

Interesting to see what you come up with.

Tim