Tow release

Paul Holmes 2

• 3 years later...

Afternoon a couple of evenings work, I’ve cobbled together a tow release for the Wot4 XL.

Its all made from bits lying around the garage. Length of 20mm square hardwood, 2 lengths of aluminium tube, servo and bits of ironmongery. Works well and doesn’t get fouled up with the tank or Rx inside the fuselage

eb84c913-a86c-490d-925d-496ab4da46f5.jpeg

8e1ca7d4-776f-40ce-aca0-454cb962b871.jpeg

Looking at the set up, it doesn't look like you have much servo movement required to operate the release, it's always best to have the connection on the servo as close to the centre as possible so the servo torque generates the maximum pull force.

The release has to work, if the glider gets hung up and can't release then the tug release has to operate, so make sure you test it by at least checking that it operates with the pull force of the glider weight. >99% of tows go smoothly, but if it doesn't it can go wrong quite quickly and the release operating is what will save the tug. And putting on my engineers hat the system above looks like it could suffer from a lot of twisting forces which could add to it locking up, so make sure the bell crank hinge is very rigid with no slop and you check it works reliably with the weight of the largest glider you plan to tow.

Posted by Steve J on 08/06/2020 09:44:36:
Posted by cymaz on 08/06/2020 06:21:43:

I’ve cobbled together a tow release for the Wot4 XL.

That looks overly complicated to me. Why didn't you put the release on the fuse just behind the wing?

I used the pre built hatch on the underneath of the wing. Used the Foss picture as a guide.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 08/06/2020 08:01:41:

Looking at the set up, it doesn't look like you have much servo movement required to operate the release, it's always best to have the connection on the servo as close to the centre as possible so the servo torque generates the maximum pull force.

The release has to work, if the glider gets hung up and can't release then the tug release has to operate, so make sure you test it by at least checking that it operates with the pull force of the glider weight. >99% of tows go smoothly, but if it doesn't it can go wrong quite quickly and the release operating is what will save the tug. And putting on my engineers hat the system above looks like it could suffer from a lot of twisting forces which could add to it locking up, so make sure the bell crank hinge is very rigid with no slop and you check it works reliably with the weight of the largest glider you plan to tow.

There is a close fitting rod in the tube, with about 1/2 mm clearance. There is no binding. I will replace the plastic clevis for something more robust.