The 2018 Mass Build Ideas thread

Lucas Hofman

All,

This thread may be misplaced in time, but as the ideas I want to share are in my head now (and most likely will be gone by the autumn) I would like to jot a them down so they can be used when the time comes.

A significant contribution to the joy and the success of 2017 Ballerina Mass Build was the active participation of the designer. Peter was always willing to discuss modifications or assist in answering questions. Not all designers are willing/able to do this, and some have already left us for good. So it might be an idea when proposing models to contact the designer if possible and check whether he will participate in the mass build if the model is chosen.

Lucas

I tend to agree that limiting the choice to recently published designs is probably a good idea simply because participants are more likely to still have the magazine/plan than one that was published several years ago. I had to borrow my Skywriter plan from a mate.

The other consideration is what is the purpose of the Mass build? Is it a 'club' to get a group of probably reasonably experienced modellers together to build a common model and to share their experiences with the wider forum audience in the hope that the less experienced /novice builders will tag along and gain confidence and insights into modelling techniques? Or is it to encourage flyers who are not necessarily builders beyond ARTF assemblers to have a go knowing that there is support from the wider forum contributors. If the latter is the case the Skywriter is a poor choice because there are some potentially tricky bits, for example the cabane and interplane struts and it has two wings, I enjoy building wings but now I'm a bit bored with wing building. By comparison the Ballerina was a good choice because it lacks the possible pitfalls of the Skywriter whilst still providing a reasonable challenge.

Perhaps a two model MB is the way forward as was suggested while this ,2017 MB, was being discussed. One model which is straightforward and likely to appeal to the inexperienced builder and a second model which has more advanced techniques employed and likely to provide a fair challenge to the more experienced builder. The hope being that more people will follow both threads and gain from both.

Interesting to hear these thoughts. I only joined the forum this January so am not aware of the genesis of the MB's . I had almost decided on the skywriter before I saw it was a MB. I have thoroughly enjoyed the exchanges thus far, I have found it both fun and informative. Catching up with new techniques and materials from when I had last built has been great. It used to be you go explore in your local model shop and see all sorts to look at and ask about. Nowadays it's all online which is not the same. I did visit one of the few high street retailers and was very disappointed, I may as well have gone on line. Sure there must be some good, real shops out there but none near me. However I digress, the main driver has been to have fun with like minded people I have never met. The MB provides an enduring theme to focus that interchange.

If it was designed to be educational and stimulating to non conventional builders then great but for me it is about having fun. Being educated further is symbiotic with fun and that will always be the key ingredient. Perhaps I'd better go and read the historical threads now and see if I am talking out the top of my head.

Tim

It is very flattering to have my design Skywriter chosen I would be the first to suggests that it is not one that I logically thought of as being a mass build design, there are a few tricky bits as people have already commented. I built the prototype some years ago now so although the basic design is still in my head the details are inevitably not so letting the active participants get involved rather than a designer jumping in and saying something is right or wrong is probably the better option. I actually prefer to see how people can enhance or find different solutions to things and often think why didn't I do it that way myself. I am watching silently as and when I get a chance. Linds

ps always thought Tim's Clean Sweep to be a good choice for Mass Build.

Tim,

Worth reading this **LINK** which is the original concept of the mass build. A cheap, no nonsense model that a beginner could build with the help of more experienced modellers building along side them, but a usable model for all to fly.

For me, the models chosen over the last couple of years are out of my price range and take up too much time building/blogging etc as I have a young family and do shift work.

That said, it is good to see a healthy number building these models.

Rich

Posted by Richard Harris on 27/02/2017 13:03:37:

Tim,

Worth reading this **LINK** which is the original concept of the mass build. A cheap, no nonsense model that a beginner could build with the help of more experienced modellers building along side them, but a usable model for all to fly.

For me, the models chosen over the last couple of years are out of my price range and take up too much time building/blogging etc as I have a young family and do shift work.

That said, it is good to see a healthy number building these models.

Rich

Pretty much exactly my sentiments on the subject Rich yes

Posted by Tim Ballinger on 27/02/2017 13:49:34:

Not sure that's for me , perhaps because I've now got more time to invest and the urge to get into more complex building.

Tim

Nothing to stop you from getting into more complex builds Tim, whatever floats your boat. As I see it the mass build model can be a simple, extra project you progress while waiting for the glue to dry on your 'complex build'.

I quite fancy something like the Cartoon Cutlass as a MB, although quite a lot of people have probably put one of these together already.

What is it ? i'll say same thing i always say..it's what those entering make of it.

Peter played a big part in making the Ballerina one a good un, but without the lads who entered and contributed it would have been a different story. I wouldn't want to add any kind of pressure for the designer to be involved myself though, they've their own lives n projects to be getting on with.

Next year ? I'll build owt you's fancy, my requirements ? lighten up a bit n stop talking it to death smiley

John

I would find it hard to participate in a mass build that will result in a plane that is not interesting to own (or to build). A "beginners project" might attract new builders, but will not have much joy to offer to "regulars".

Without have analyzed the past it feels like a small number of people always build, and many other join and leave. Maybe just build one and find out that building is not for them.

Given the long winter here in Norway I would not mind starting 1-2 months earlier. Generate candidates up to October. Lobbying and signing up before Nov 1st and then start building. For a slow builder like me who builds 1-2 hours on some evenings it would increase the chances of flying before the next winter

Quite a few people will drop out if there is no kit available, so that should be a requirement I think (but not difficult to realise, if SLEC (or a competitor) can promise that they will make a kit and wood pack of whatever is choosen.

Drawings and articles can be scanned and distributed by mail. Not sure about copyright issues but for sure replacing a lost or drawing (or one that cannot be ordered anymore) will not give me sleepless nights.

Cheers Lucas (who needed a break at work and looks forward to starting the second Skywriter wing)

• 3 weeks later...

Picking up on the "why not two models", and "something for beginners" and "something interesting", why not do a model in two sizes, as per the 30" and 45" Tucanos some time back? The smaller was a simple beginners intro to plan building (all sheet) and RC (dirt cheap power system), while the larger version offered the chance to indulge in a bit of scale detail, add undercarriage, add power etc. without being too involved or inherently expensive (could use brushed/brushless/LiPO/NiMH.

Someone also said "a twin".

You may or may not be aware there are two F-82 Twin-Mustang restoration projects on the go in the US.

My suggestion would therefore be a Twin-Mustang in two sizes. A smaller 36-40" for twin 150W power systems (bell motor/shockie etc), and Aileron/elevator. Along the lines of the hundreds of Radio Modeller designs down the ages. A sheet wing would make it simple to build, the only challenge being routing wires from one Fuselage to t'other for the servos/speed controllers.

The second a larger version with options for U/C, rudder, maybe even retracts for the adventurous? Based on twin 300 - 400W systems.

I realise this means two new designs, but put Nigel Hawes on the smaller version, and Tony Nijhuis on the larger version, and....

AlistaiT

• 2 months later...

Here is the thread for the Grumpy Tigercub incase anyone else is interested. It is a nice looking model and forgiving to fly by all accounts. Similar wing to the Oodalally so the rib set is available from SLEC too, for those who fret about cutting out wing ribs (pun intended!). A couple of 15s won't break the bank and it has been successfully electrified too. Also a nice simple fixed gear but can be fitted with retracts for those that like the complication.

• 2 months later...