The 2018 Mass Build Ideas thread

Lucas Hofman

Posted by sgwlm on 07/09/2017 10:03:26:

any of the free rcm&e plans from the current year, should be something to please most and a good variation ( not limited to one, just any of the free plans)

Edited By sgwlm on 07/09/2017 10:05:27

Most - or all - of this years free plans were ... special. Partly (imho) unattractive, partly outliers in construction methods (depron). or republished retro one channel designs. This months is an exception, but a round fuse with elllipical wings may be too complex for the first timers.

Is there any in particular you think will appeal to enough people to make it viable for a mass build?

Lucas

No Svenson Vicomte / Baron this winter then, Steven... surprise

So, I guess I will be the only one to build it? crying

mousquetaire_fuselage_render03.jpg

Anyhow, I'm still convinced it would make a very nice Mass Build. Free plans, nicely 'retro' or 'vintage', appropriate build for newcomers, 'scalish' details possible for more experienced builders, slow & easy handling for all...

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Paul Marsh on 07/09/2017 19:40:07:

I'm going to build Peter Miller's Destiny, but won't be doing a build blog, just will build it and fly it. Going to put a 61 four stroke in it.

Be a good boy Paul and post a picture when you have her finished. Peter likes to see that people build his designs.

Lucas

... ooh, yes please Lucas... just have a go at a Vicomte "just for me"... wink

But then, I guess you have to build your 'second' Skywriter wing first... devil

Don't worry, it will be my second build now and not even a 'scratch' one. With the laser cut parts, I could even be able to finish it before the summer hits the country. question

Have some fun anyhow.

Cheers

Chris

By the way, For those who plan to build Destiny. SLEC cut out all the formers and ribs for me.. I seem to remember that one of the 1/16" ply facing formers for the cowl for the cowl was wrong but the rest are great.and will save a lot of work.

Note that R-2 should be liteply as shown on the magazine drawing as I changed the U/C mount slightly. I will have a word with SLEC about that.

Pondering a possible model for the 2018 mass build I wondered whether a stand off scale model would be a possibility? I would suggest that the Tipsy Junior, a Peter Miller plan would be suitable. Simple to build and can be enhanced with scale detail, unfortunately only two existed so perhaps not very exciting. Or Peter's CAP 20. A slightly more challenging build with the semi elliptical wing. There are lots of colour schemes around to allow personalisation.

I've also built Peter's Fournier RF4, but perhaps a long tapered wing with washout is a step too far?

Posted by Craig Thomas on 16/09/2017 09:52:16:

Where would be buy these plans from? Just tried looking for Peter Millers cap plan but for some reason my hobby store directs me to traplet and there page says website closed? Have I missed something whilst I've been away"?

Yes, Traplet went to the wall but the plans will become available soon as the plans and parts have been taken over. Just look for the thread on Traplet.

Posted by Peter Miller on 09/09/2017 09:00:20:

By the way, For those who plan to build Destiny. SLEC cut out all the formers and ribs for me.. I seem to remember that one of the 1/16" ply facing formers for the cowl for the cowl was wrong but the rest are great.and will save a lot of work.

Note that R-2 should be liteply as shown on the magazine drawing as I changed the U/C mount slightly. I will have a word with SLEC about that.

Any idea what the charge might be, Peter? I'm not going to be building a Destiny any time soon but it's a lovely model and one that I'd like to have a go at in the future so a set of ribs and formers 'in stock' together with the plan I have in the mag seems a good idea.

How do you digitise your plans? Or do you get SLEC to do that as well?

Geoff