The 2018 Mass Build Ideas thread

Lucas Hofman

I can't tell you how much the set of parts for Destiny would cost.

I don't digitise my plans. I draw them out on tracing paper and take them to the local Office supply shop and have copies and/or PDF files done.

I can do dfx files on the ribs but don't often do that.

I don't have a lot of the plans now as I cannot store them all. but I have the recent ones and all the full size plans from the magazines.

Posted by Lucas Hofman on 18/09/2017 06:43:57:
Posted by Martyn K on 15/09/2017 12:53:55:

I would prefer the PM Dalotel as a scale model. Its an excellent flier and I already have the plans..

Martyn

Looks nice Martyn. Can you upload or mail me the plan you have?

Regards, Lucas

I don't have a digital copy unfortunately. I bought the plans and article from Traplet nearly 2 years ago. Its on my list of things to build.

The CAP20L was a free plan in RCM&E in March 2014 issue I think.

Martyn

To take the one design, two sizes idea further, what about the 48in span Chilli Breeze and the 58in span Chilli Wind. Originally for IC, both have been electrified; aerobatic, proven, classic designs. Plans should be available from Sarik Hobbies shortly and I am sure some CNC parts would be available if there was enough interest if it was voted the Mass Build 2018. Just a thought.

Hi Peter,

If you have the dxf files of the ribs for 'Destiny' would you be willing to send them to me? - as I will CAD the drawings and CNC a kit for me to build at some point. That would save some CAD time...laugh

I know you have used Compufoil before for wings, so would I be correct to assume you designed Destiny's wing in that?

Best

Maybe I shouldn't include this in that it is a free FSM plan from April 2017 (so available OK) a Peter Miller design -so we know it will fly well, and I think it is a very attractive scale model -the Fletcher FD-25B Defender.

54.5" span, Straight chord wing, optional scale flaps, cut parts available, 30-40 2 stroke, looks bags of room for leccy conversion

http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/products/fletcher-fd-25b-defender-plan59/

**LINK**

It is on my to do list, got to finish my Grumpy Tigercub first though. I'd love to know what Peter thinks about it....

Mods please delete if I've crossed the dotted red line!

Edited By i12fly on 20/09/2017 23:32:59

Hi Rob.

Yes, I can do a dfx file for you. I always use Compufoil these days for wings. PM me you email address.

Hi i12fly

Yes, the Fletcher Defender was areally nice model. They recently republished it in Flying Scale Models.

It flew well, the flaps worked a treat and so did the bomb drop. The only problem is that as far as I know, no one ever made a canopy for it.

The pattern is huge but once that is made a gallon spring water bottle can be shrunk over it.

I built my pattern with central former and end formers and then cement and plaster. I weighed a ton

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I live in Qatar, there is a very active club here with a lot of new modelers, a few of whom are keen on building from plans, they have built from CNC kit and with a little help will be fine from plans, so if the 2018 model is suitable we will join in.

Chilli Breeze or similar sports type would be ideal.

Happy flying

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Just to summarise from this thread:

• Grumpy Tiger
  • Kwik Fli
  • Telemaster (I think this is only available as a kit)
  • PM Destiny
  • Any RCM&E plan from the last 12 months
  • PM Dalotel/CAP20/CAP21 (would make an interesting choice - pick your preferred from that combination)
  • PM Tipsy Junior
  • Chilli Breeze / Chilli Wind
  • PM Fletcher FD-25B Defender

Any more?

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 19/10/2017 14:59:42

There was a free plan in the June 2013 RCMW for Christian Moes updated Veron Mini Robot. I remember thinking how it might make a popular Mass Build subject one day. It only spanned 37in and his electric conversion sported a 140w BL motor with a 1300mAh 3s LiPo. The IC model also featured on the plan had a Cox Babe Bee fitted, although diesel fanciers might prefer a PAW 55RC. The light open structure is very quick and cheap to build resulting in a wing loading of only 11.7 oz/sq ft.

Personally I think I might be tempted to scale it up maybe 30%, which would still only give it a wingspan of 48in. The plan (MW3637) should be available from Sarik Hobbies if you phone them, if anyone is interested.

Here is a taster of the plan:-

img_3726.jpg

• Grumpy Tiger
  • Kwik Fli
  • Telemaster (I think this is only available as a kit)
  • PM Destiny
  • PM Dalotel/CAP20/CAP21 (would make an interesting choice - pick your preferred from that combination)
  • PM Tipsy Junior
  • Veron Mini Robot

Updated!

• Grumpy Tiger
  • Kwik Fli series
  • Telemaster - plans are available from somewhere
  • PM Destiny
  • PM Tipsy Junior
  • Veron Mini Robot
  • Tim Hooper Clean Sweep Series (Choice of 3)
  • Sprite

Updated 2

I suggest we close the list on the 31st October. 2 sets of votes in November with the top 3 going to the final vote after the 1st vote eliminator.

Does that sound like a plan? (not one you can build an aeroplane on though)

p2020060.jpgHere is a picture of a Mini Robot I built from the Christian Moe plan which I got from the library, only buy RCM&E! Its a bit of fun with its SLEC bomb drop for pottering around on the local park. Boddo's Ghost Rider republished in the RCM&E Oct 16 might be more appropriate. Any plane like these with the bomb drop could be fun at your Greenacres flyin's.

Hi Martyn,

As you seem to become the 'Organizing Officer' for the 2018 Mass Build, I won't propose the Baron 1914 - aka Svenson Vicomte 1915 - anymore.

But for newcomers to balsa bashing, my humble opinion is that the Telemaster - in possible various spans - could be an forthcoming project.

And why not being able to become a nice one built by more experienced modelers as an appropriate 'club' trainer, joining the purpose of attracting new (younger) gents into the 'building & flying' hobby...

Anyhow, good luck, young man.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris
Happy to add whatever anyone wants to the list. Including your choice of course. Not trying to take the role on but add a little direction. Personally i would like to see a Piper Cub mass build. It can be a simple higb wing type trainer to a fully detailed masterpiece. However we did this a few years ago but i think only one was built.