The 2018 Mass Build Ideas thread

Lucas Hofman

Posted by Martyn K on 20/10/2017 22:16:24:
Thanks Chris
Happy to add whatever anyone wants to the list. Including your choice of course. Not trying to take the role on but add a little direction. Personally i would like to see a Piper Cub mass build. It can be a simple higb wing type trainer to a fully detailed masterpiece. However we did this a few years ago but i think only one was built.

Hi Martyn,

Thank you for answering, but my intention is to build the Vicomte/Baron as a winter project anyway.

I presented the Baron as a possible Mass build candidate last winter but the Skywriter got nominated. Fair enough but to my knowledge only ONE Skywriter has been completed so far. If one even compares to Peter's Ballerina Mass Build 2016, there might actually be a 'problem' with the initial concept of the MB.

This said, a Piper remains an outstanding project as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks & Cheers

Chris

• Grumpy Tiger
  • Kwik Fli series
  • Telemaster - plans are available from somewhere
  • PM Destiny
  • Any RCM&E plan from the last 12 months
  • PM Dalotel/CAP20/CAP21 (would make an interesting choice - pick your preferred from that combination)
  • PM Tipsy Junior
  • Chilli Breeze / Chilli Wind
  • PM Fletcher FD-25B Defender
  • Veron Mini Robot
  • Tim Hooper Clean Sweep Series (Choice of 3)
  • Sprite
  • Vicomte Baron
  • Super/Junior 60 (This could be grouped with the Mini Robot perhaps as they are similar(ish) High wing trainer types)
  • Piper Cub any size/scale (again)

Updated 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nigel Grant suggested Boddo's Ghost Rider 38 in a previous post. I think it should be included as it fits the Mass build criteria rather well, not least because it was published in RCM&E only a year ago, so most people should have a copy of the plan. Also with it's symmetrical aerofoil section, minus the dihedral, add ailerons and you have quite an aerobat with the right power plant. Any takers?

Here is the plan to jog your memory...

Ghost Rider 38

Ghost Rider 38

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 31/10/2017 21:54:03

How about a Dereck Woodward design called "Holi"

This is a simple to build 25, to 32 powered sportster. Flat one piece shoulder wing and at around 40 in wingspan comes as one piece which is great to pop in the car boot. I built one many years ago and it can take up to a 46 if you need a missile.

Great fun to fly.

Cheers

Peterimg_5897.jpg

img_5901.jpgimg_5896.jpgimg_5899.jpg

OK - thanks for all the suggestions.

I think that we should close the nominations list now.

The Voting thread is here:

• Grumpy Tiger
  • Kwik Fli series
  • Telemaster - plans are available from somewhere
  • PM Destiny
  • Any RCM&E plan from the last 12 months
  • PM Dalotel/CAP20/CAP21 (would make an interesting choice - pick your preferred from that combination)
  • PM Tipsy Junior
  • Chilli Breeze / Chilli Wind
  • PM Fletcher FD-25B Defender
  • Veron Mini Robot
  • Tim Hooper Clean Sweep Series (Choice of 3)
  • Sprite
  • Vicomte Baron
  • Super/Junior 60 (This could be grouped with the Mini Robot perhaps as they are similar(ish) High wing trainer types)
  • Piper Cub any size/scale (again)
  • Holi
  • Ghost Rider

Updated 4

I will abstain from voting this year: with a Skywalker and a 1/4 scale Cub to complete, in addition to a big job on the house it is not likely that I will be starting another project this winter. Therefore it would not be fair to try to influence what others may be building by voting.

Cheers, Lucas

I've done my choice on the voting thread. My chosen 3 are small and use very little wood, the 3rd choice being a 48" span 'Chilli Breeze' which I built once in 1994 in balsa of shortish lengths from bargain bundle packs. The model costing no more than £15.00 to make. My other two choices are I think chosen in a same way, for their small and cost efficient size.

1st Ghost Rider 38

2nd Sprite

3rd Chilli Breeze

I shall cast my vote shortly once I've reviewed the options list - I've enjoyed doing the mass builds that I've taken part in, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the response for 2017.... something like 47 votes for the Skywriter, but only something like 7 recorded as started in the build threads, and only 2 or 3 recorded as complete! Mine's a lovely aircraft, been a go-to model since I finished it, so if you haven't finished yours yet, I can only encourage to you to do so - you'll end up with a lot of enjoyment!

Simon

Echo Simon’s comments. I enjoyed the interactive nature of the common build and blogs detailing progress. Apart from being fun ,picking up ideas and techniques on the way was great. I’ve certainly had a lot of fun with my skywiter and hopefully lots more to come (hopefully that’s not the kiss of death !).

Perhaps the simpler ,cheaper approach will get more involved and make it a mass build this year. Right at the moment I have two projects on the go so I will not be voting this time round. Actually I didn’t vote last time as I came to the party late and just joined in.

I shall be following the fun though !

Tim

The Chilli Wind ( horrible name! ) would make an excellent choice for the experienced pilot. Plan number is RC1648 from RCME May 1991 and should be available from Sarik Hobbies.

Chilli Breeze was in RCME June 1994 as a 'free' plan but the article does not give a plan number. It might have been issued as a plan in later years and would probably have a MAG prefix to the number. Be interesting to know if Sarik could find the plan from just the name. An excellent choice for a compact aerobatic model, good for electric too I reckon. Note that it is shown as a built up wing or foam. It is a tapered wing but just the tip and root sections are shown for the built up version which may deter some unless a laser cut set is available.

Ghost Rider is available in 4 sizes 38 inch from a recent RCME free plan and 52 inch from DB Sport & Scale. plan is 12 pounds and laser cut ribs 9.50 pounds.   A 41 inch plan is available on Outerzone togehter with the 38 and 50 inch plans

iGull do the 38 inch Ghost Rider ribs for 16.50 pounds. They also do ribs for Kwik Fli 3, Mini Robot, Super 60 and Junior 60.

Edited By kc on 03/11/2017 17:29:20

Edited By kc on 03/11/2017 17:32:12

Posted by Simon Feather on 03/11/2017 15:01:15:

I shall cast my vote shortly once I've reviewed the options list - I've enjoyed doing the mass builds that I've taken part in, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the response for 2017.... something like 47 votes for the Skywriter, but only something like 7 recorded as started in the build threads, and only 2 or 3 recorded as complete! Mine's a lovely aircraft, been a go-to model since I finished it, so if you haven't finished yours yet, I can only encourage to you to do so - you'll end up with a lot of enjoyment!

Agree with your comments Simon on 2017 build. My Skywriter is still in build and I have been significantly delayed due to many things. Fully intend to finish her as soon as time allows. Thinking on it could have been the complexity of the build which put some off. 2016 was so good and Ballerinas look to be still being built at the moment..

Regards Peter

Is just me or are the mass builds a lways for power models????,as a commited glider guider l do feel a bit hard done by/left out,as,to the best of my knowledge,the mass build Never features a glider,scale or sport,this is a wonderfully diverse hobby we indulge in,and not all of us fly power of any description,dont misunderstand me,l CAN fly power models-think l have a wot 4 somewhere-but l get more fun/pleasure either slope soaring or thermal hunting than l do getting oiled up with a glow or petrol model,or getting to grips with an electric something or other........l guess this will spark off a furious response,but be that as it may,mass builds ought to cover all disciplines!!!....l await the arrival of the members of the inquisition!!!!....jackangel

Forgot that one!!,though my choice for next year would be the A-10,of which l have a pic of a two seat variant...tasty!!..,my point is that if one were to look back on previous mass builds,there will be very few gliders to be found,a shame really,but l suppose its the will of the people...jack.