FMS Alpha Jet 2ch R/C conversion for PSS

Phil Cooke

Hi All, Well my foamy Alpha Jet is nearly done so I thought I would share a couple of pictures of my efforts at the conversion. Not quite finished as you can see it is still unpainted!

As a total aside for those who like a major kitbash, have a look at my fourth (last) picture.

Firstly.....close one eye and squint with the other...now imagine much more anhedral on the tailplane, a little dihedral on the outer mainwings, the wing seat filled in and the wings located low on the airframe rather than at the shoulder. Now keep the squint on and be even more imaginative.....a few more cuts here and there and its almost ....but not quite ......an F4 Phantom (granted the wing planform is wrong) . But for anyone handy with craft knife and glue - it could be a little project. Maybe....!

Mine's staying as an AJ though!

p1060802.jpg

p1060806.jpgp1060803.jpg

p1060801.jpg

After talking with Harry at Haydock this morning here is my AJ progress so far.

Internal layout including Turnigy servos, booster and FrSky rx. For the torque rod ends I just rolled them round into pigtails and fitted the rods with Z bends.

20170319_191048.jpg

The elevator 1mm carbon pushrod splits into 2 x 0,6mm wire pushrods connected to 0.8mm ply horns.

20170319_191100.jpg

The battery is too far forward here and noe lives behind the canopy retaining wedge.

20170319_191126.jpg

Overall weight before paint is 94g.

20170319_191025.jpg

Now it's time to see how little paint I can put on it?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, with this weekend in mind Ive been trying to move my mini Alpha Jet along a little. I reckon I'm 90% done, I'm left with - a bit more painting to touch up, sort out the electronics and balance for CoG.

I made a bit of a dogs dinner of some off the painting, so the end product is less than perfect. Colour scheme is my version of Discovery Air Defence (Canada) with some home made decals added in. So I thought I would share a couple of photos of where I am so far

Regards H.

p1060820.jpg

p1060821.jpg

Just thought I'd complete the build thread with a few photos from last weekend on the Great Orme where, eventually, we DID find the right weather window to successfully test the Alpha Jets!

Saturday was dead calm with thermic wind directions not suiting the S, SW, W, NW or N slopes we could access - so no proper test flying from the slope was achieved. That said, Chris, Harry and Matt did all successfully perform some test glides from elevated hand launches which seemed to suggest the balance and control was all about right.

Early on Sunday morning, against a glorious blue sky, Matt and I test flew the AJ proper off the SW face in what I'm guessing was a 8-10mph breeze, no more... this was a period of relative calm before the winds picked up to allow PSS proper to commence.

The models set off nice from the hand launch and bobbled up and down the slope very nicely in these light conditions. They were crisp and responsive on all controls and penetrated nicely into the breeze. Up and down the slope they looked great - just the right sort of speed to keep it all fun.

A few photos below (all taken by Andy Meade as Matt and I were doing our Chuck Yeager bit at the time wink )

forum1000 alpha jet 4.jpg

The models had a great roll rate when full stick was applied, elevator felt good throughout the speed range although even from height there was no way I could get mine to loop - it just carries ZERO energy at 120g - nothing to carry it over the top! Reversals were nice though and looked good!

forum1000 alpha jet 2.jpg

Matts model in action (below) - Andy Meade photo

forum1000 alpha jet 1.jpg

We tried our best to keep them together but they are like little busy bees in the air - very difficult to keep them in the same area of sky for very long - this was the best we got - more piloting practice needed!

forum1000 alpha jet 3.jpg

Anyway in summary I think Matt and I were very happy with how they flew in these light wind conditions... if they enable us to fly true PSS models in conditions when more conventional PSS is not possible then they will serve their purpose very well. I have no doubt we will all have a lot of fun with them - particularly so when there is half a dozen of them in the air all vying for the same part of the slope at the same time!

• 1 month later...

I was very impressed with Phil's Alpha jet at the weekend slope event in south Wales. It was flying in a 20 + mph winds just like any other model. Our eyes were feasting on 'golden demonstrations' of aerobatic flying with a micro model and it was Phil's only second outing with it.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 23/05/2017 12:35:48

Posted by Andy Meade on 23/05/2017 12:49:20:

Looks like it needed some stabilisation, it was all over the place.

To be fair he's not as young as he was, reaction times tend to increase with age. Let's not give him a hard time just because of his advancing years.

You should get that wing replaced Monz Send it ( the wing ) back to where you bought it from .Any probs with them quote trading standards to them. Fitness for purpose ( which it's not ) They should replace it or get it replaced from the makers.