How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?

Suggestion for another poll allied to our existing one.

How many models do you have under construction at a time?

Personally, I have a rule that I only try to work on one project at a time as I find it all too easy to lose focus when jumping from one to the other. Doesn't always work out that way, of course, so often I find myself with two builds on the go, especially where you might hit trouble with one and it's best just to give it a rest for a while. Don't know how others manage to work on half a dozen models at a time (certainly not complex plans or kits) it would drive me mad.

Posted by Cuban8 on 25/04/2017 10:03:48:

Suggestion for another poll allied to our existing one.

How many models do you have under construction at a time?

Personally, I have a rule that I only try to work on one project at a time as I find it all too easy to lose focus when jumping from one to the other. Doesn't always work out that way, of course, so often I find myself with two builds on the go, especially where you might hit trouble with one and it's best just to give it a rest for a while. Don't know how others manage to work on half a dozen models at a time (certainly not complex plans or kits) it would drive me mad.

Too many Red faces for me to answer that question...........5 under some stage of construction and some sitting for around dust covered 5 years too.

Most of models are now own design or scaled from other proven designs and then redrawn into CAD and I then build from my own plans.

In the past 12 months I have built from my own or others plans:

1 Electric Glider 100" span

1 Bungee Hi Start F3-RES Glider 2m span

2 Kwik Fliis 88% scale of full size

1 DH Hornet Moth 1:13.5 scale

1 O/D FF Glider in progress 36" span

1 Mystic 40 85% scale of standard Mystic

1 O/D Fun Flier

1 Slope Soarer from a kit (Does that count - just spotted that it doesnt)

1 Peanut sized Fred (Still under construction)

1 Peanut Andreasson BA4

If you add the plans that I am working on but construction not yet started

25% scale Foka4

22.5% scale Spinks Acromaster

F5J Electric Glider

F3-RES Glider

PSS FD2

I need a spare life..

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 25/04/2017 13:56:40

No plans for me thanks.

I think that's because I work to drawings every day and the only chance I get to be creative is when something goes wrong.

Everything comes off the top of my head so to speak. Though I do occasionally search through what's available on aerofred.com for clues on how to do something I'm not sure about. Even then I may ignore what I've seen. smile p

The general numbers are pretty much as i expected.

The down side is that at say 3 models per modeller, assuming that there are 60, 000 of us, say approx double the BMFA membership. That is not a lot of model aircraft, particualrly when it is not of one model/design. A total of say 180,000. at £200 each, that is in the region of £36,000,000, shared out across the UK LMS.

If we assume that the turn over in model aircraft things is *10 bigger still, the total is still only £360,000,000.

If I assume that there are at least 3 other model areas, such as boats, trains, we still only seem to be speaking of £1 million.

I must be omitting some things, as these numbers do not indicate a viable present, never mind a future.

Edited By Erfolg on 27/04/2017 18:51:02

• 4 weeks later...