Who Else Wants a 63" Lavochkin La7 kit?

jrman

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Chaps ,

The kits have arrived , I am just finishing the plan so aim to start sending them out next week .

You probably know Traplet have gone kaput which will give you an idea why these kits will be the last traditional La7 kits to be made .

If you have colour schemes in mind , let me know and we can produce decal sets accordingly .

As this is a batch of only 13 and we only made about ten the first time , the instructions and plan will be fairly simple . The smaller La7 is well documented elsewhere on this forum and the 63" version is the same build except that the fin is foam veneer (which saves a lot of sanding ) , the cowl is one piece epoxy and the wing is a more tapered , scale outline . This is a very quick build model with very few parts ,so anyone who has made a wot 4 should be capable .

As far as retracts are concerned , I was thinking of using the heavy duty screwjack that we developed for the BF110 . Once we get building I can assess how many will want our retracts.

The retracts and oleos will be £109 . I will leave you to source your own wheels as I dont want to presume that light is always best in this instance.

I presume one of you is going to do the online build ? Peter did a cracking job on the smaller one but I'm not sure we can expect him to do it all over again .

This version of the La7 is a real star. It doesnt have any vices and will make the average pilot look like a hotshot .

The big cowl and excellent cooling , combined with relatively short and wide undercarriage does make it one of the most practical fighters to operate . I'm looking forward to some nice examples from this batch .

Richard

Thanks Richard I will have retracts too please . Let us know if there are other specific bits needed . I am really looking forward to it as a winter build. My bigger question is whether to buy another Laser 80 or "borrow" one from another plane 😊. I already have 2 of their lovely 80s.

Posted by Timothy Harris 1 on 25/07/2017 09:24:36:

Thanks Richard I will have retracts too please . Let us know if there are other specific bits needed . I am really looking forward to it as a winter build. My bigger question is whether to buy another Laser 80 or "borrow" one from another plane 😊. I already have 2 of their lovely 80s.

Dont worry Tim, your name is already down for another, unless you want to really go for it and take a 100 this time?

The larger La7 s are beginning to go out of the door now , so those of you on the list will be able to get cracking next week .

Its been a bit harder because Sweep has been away on his "Grand Tour", leaving Graham with a heavy work load . In an effort to resolve the issue he offered to take on his sisters boy , Dennis as an apprentice.

Unfortunately, neither Grahams sister , nor Dennis are the sharpest knives in the drawer. Delores, his mum said that Dennis spends most his time playing with his X box in a darkened room . Something that we hear about all too often .In this particular instance it is all the more worrying, as in the high Himalayas , there is no such thing as electricity or indeed X boxes.

When Graham entered his bedroom to pick him up , he was sitting in the dark, staring at a shoe box painted black.

Still, nothing wrong with him that a large roll up of Graham's "special " Yeti baccy wont cure .barry4.jpg

Does he look all right to you ?

Interesting, looking back Peter has done this machine with white topsides and a blue rudder flash - winter frock? Then Joachim has shown it in two-tone grey uppers, attributed to the same pilot Ivan Nikotovich Kozhedub, deputy CO of 176th GvIAP.

Here's another pne that caught my eye

la7 #63.jpg

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 01/08/2017 23:28:30

Hi Bob , yes we have exactly those "27" sets . There is historic dispute over the actual colours since everyone is guessing with black and white photos . My advice is , make it look believable.

Anyone that hasnt arrange for their kit yet please contact me . I also have three reserves for late comers to the thread.

Richard

Thanks Jon. I must say I would be tempted if a Laser 100 would fit as it would be nice having two 100s and two 80s in my collection, as one day as you said I could look at twins, plus it's nice to have a spare engine in the same size for emergencies. Im not keen on having engines sticking out of the cowling so would need a good look first. I spoke to Richard today to arrange delivery ... very exited. I look forward to this as my Autumn project 😊. I might even buy a spray gun when it's finally finished rather than my usual hand brushed rough finish!