Wot4XL Mk2 engine choices

I have  a Wot 4 XL which I use as a tug plane . It is over powered by an OS120ax 2s. I had to modify the wing mounting pegs to make 3 at the front as all my Wot 4 XL wings have suffered badly from vibration on the stock single front mount . If you are using a big powerful engine I would modify it  . I think a perfect engine for  this plane is a 120 4s. Here is a pic of my modified front wing mount Wot4xl Wing peg1

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 17/04/2018 14:09:00

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 17/04/2018 14:09:28

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 17/04/2018 14:11:28

I thought I would report my experience on the maiden flight of my XL, previously electrocuted but now powered by an NGH GT17 petrol engine.

In a word - surprising!

It will pull it vertical and does HUGE loops from level flight. My skill level doesn't do it justice, I reckon it'll be fully aerobatic (in a conventional, not 3D sense) once it's run in and fully leaned out.

Fitted with a 15x8 Graupner Sonic prop it's pulling 8800rpm on the ground and fitted with the pepper pot the engine is supplied with from Just Engines it just squeaks in under 82dba. I may try a 16x6 next and maybe an add on can to bring the noise down so it's comfortably under.

Anyway, hopefully this may be of interest / help to someone who is unsure (as I was) of the suitability of this engine for a 9lb + airframe.

Kim

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old topic, I've just stumbled across it by accident,  want to refer back to the fin failure mentioned earlier. Ripmax should be ashamed of themselves, they have know of this issue since at least 2010, the fin is 3mm too short going into the fuse. Late 2020 I was building a new xl, and when researching any helpful hints I found old posts on forums about this. I contacted Ripmax about this, and to discuss the other issues I found. Wrinkling covering, damaged wing locator pin, getting the rods into the fuse is a joke!. The undercarriage mounting is way too weak for a model of thsi size and weight, the spinner is rubbish, the fuel tank isn't much better, the supplied clevises are poor quality. The chap I spoke to denied knowing about the fin issues, I pointed him to all the posts over the last few years, he was just lying.

Its an expensive kit, and really should be a lot better for that amount of money from a company such as Ripmax. If you intend building one, it can be a very good model, you juts need to make a lot of improvements, and don't expect any help from ripmax, also, you don't get a template for the engine mount either!