Tuned pipes

Ian Bagshaw

Does anybody know where I can get a tuned pipe in the UK, I have tried just engines but they no longer have any stock. I have been told a Hatori 700 would work but can't find a supplier. Weston uk have some but they are un-baffled which wouldn't work at my club.

The original plane had an OS red tuned pipe & a Hanno special, the restored version has an OS75AX.

Many thanks

Ian

Ian, I have been through the hoop with tuned pipes so I can sympathise with you. In the end as I wanted a Hatori product I ordered it from the USA from GravesRC. I am not sure what they have now. However, there is a Hatori outlet in the USA too.

**LINK**

The tuned pipes are at the bottom that are compatible with OS. Buying from the USA direct is quite painless and I have found it easy enough to do it.

I have a few pipes that I may not use. They are not pristine by any stretch of the imagination.

Have you measured the exhaust timing on the engine? A pipe may not actually bring any real benefit if it has a 'sport' timing which is typical on the AX range.

PM me if you want to try one but I suspect it may not bring any benefit but ad a lot of grief

Martyn

I don't think 'baffled' is the right term when talking about pipes. Quiet pipes have a chamber surrounding or following the resonant cone, which is not really a baffle. Ask JE or Weston UK for a 'quiet' pipe! A Weston UK Genesis pipe and a prop setup for torque rather than revs should get you down around 80dBa.

Weston pipes are not noisy . I use them in both my sports boat and plane. But I'm afraid I do not have the DB readings. Their genesis pipes are the disk type (use a hollowed out flat disc at rear cone )rather than the more peaky double cone type so are a "throttle pipe" they do have noise reducing baffles at the end and work well and are not too critical. Speak to Weston they can help.

"I don't think 'baffled' is the right term when talking about pipes. Quiet pipes have a chamber surrounding or following the resonant cone, which is not really a baffle."

The JE pipes are a clone of the Hatori design - a single cone, followed by a parallel section, followed by a flat disc (baffle) - all followed up by several different size silencer chambers separated by baffles.

Posted by Nigel R on 28/04/2017 09:07:10:

"I don't think 'baffled' is the right term when talking about pipes. Quiet pipes have a chamber surrounding or following the resonant cone, which is not really a baffle."

The JE pipes are a clone of the Hatori design - a single cone, followed by a parallel section, followed by a flat disc (baffle) - all followed up by several different size silencer chambers separated by baffles.

I'm almost tempted to cut my old pipe open to have a look at that! I must admit I thought the only baffle was the concentric outlet design, based purely on the external appearance.

No more JE pipes then sad

I have the Novarossi I mentioned, this is also a baffled type, it is quite nice but not generally available here. May be worth contacting the UK agents to see if they could get one in. Planet Hobby in the states sell them and will do overseas post.

if you are really interested in tuned pipe theory etc I suggest you visit Prestwich Models website. Yes it is a BOAT website but boaters always run pipes on two strokes so have much more experience. Dave Marles who runs the site has lots and lots of free tech info plus a link to the "two stroke tuners handbook ". He is a World champion boat guy.