Trent 20 event 21 May 2017

Steve Dunning

UKCAA event on the 21st May by the kind invitation of The Trent 20 Flying Club

The Trent 20 flying site is located to the west of Laneham village as per maps attached. This is the UKCAA first visit to The Tent 20 so if you have any questions please give Steve a call on

07837 965767 or email [email protected].

Chris Anderson had liased with the club and can be reached on 07966 764803 or email him on

[email protected] .

Pilots briefing 1030 AM with flying commencing soon after. Please can you bring your BMFA insurance with you.

We may be able to run a low key competition on the day so keep practising!!

Barbeque will be available from 1230, heat will be supplied in the form of disposable barbecues but bring your own food to cook and drinks for the day.

Please could you email myself or indicate on this thread if you are attending.

Chris and I look forward to see you on the day.

Steve D

Map Reference for the site is as follows:

53°16'38.52"N 0°48'39.84"W

trent20-1.jpg

Edited By Steve Dunning on 14/05/2017 17:54:20

Just to make people aware, I will be taking some items for sale, retro aerobatic orientated, due to a change in circumstances. I would rather these be used than just hanging around in the workshop.

Redshift 61 New bearings fitted, excellent compression.

OS 61 RF Everything is as per Hanno Special apart from the piston and liner that is RF. The piston and liner are virtually brand new, having only been run 5 times in my Supra Fly 60.

OS 61 RF Good bearings and great compression.

Webra Speed 40 ABC Excellent engine, complete with muffler and manifold.

Super Tigre 40 Brand new, no box. Includes standard silencer and a Macs Muffler (new)

Veco 19 Excellent engine, great for Flea Fli etc.

Brand new GRP Bullet fuselage and canopy, will save all that carving. Same as Minty uses on his electric version

Hope nobody objects to me putting these on here but if I didn't, the answer on the day would be, 'I wish I had known, I would have brought some money!!!

Steve

Well, what a brilliant day. After a Saturday that saw heavy rain, thunder and lightning and hail in some parts, Sunday was the complete opposite. A brisk breeze, sunshine for most of the day (Sue says I look like a matchstick!) and the field to ourselves, what more could one ask for.

Well, one thing is modellers, of a like mind, who've not forgotten the thrill of producing a model themselves and then experiencing it perform to expectations, offering complete satisfaction in terms of modelling.

Six pilots decided to have a go at the one round competition with myself as judge. It's quite often the case that the flight starts well then one mistake takes your eye off the ball and concentration goes, hence the remainder of the flight is not as good. Pilots who, will fly confidently in front of others at these events then find that the jitters set in when they know that they are being closely looked at by a judge, and others. Doesn't fare well for the thumbs on the sticks.

The outcome was 1st, Minty Morton, 2nd Paul Lacey and 3rd Shelley Redworth. The main difference was consistency throughout the flight, perhaps not scoring the highest on any individual manoeuvre but was consistent in achieving good scores all the way through.

Thank you to everyone for the way they conducted themselves, friendly banter, especially with Adam and his twenty minute flight (throttle servo problems) and an excellent atmosphere on the flight line. Pilots had travelled from as far as Newcastle, Bristol and Watford, thank you for making the effort, it is appreciated. It was a pleasure to be CD for the day. Enjoy the piccies. Steve D

dsc00330.jpg

dsc00319.jpg

Kelvyn Petrie's Atlas. I have to tell you what it is because he forgot to put the stickers on it that I had done for him! Webra 61 LS for power.

dsc00321.jpg

Kelvyn with his Upset II. Irvine 53 for urge. Many of these models are now amply powered by modern day engines of lower capacity than those available 'in the day'.

dsc00322.jpg

Shelley's Illusion. Seen better days as Shelley will admit to herself. OS 91 FX has more than enough for what is a heavy airframe.

dsc00323.jpg

Shelly stuck to flying her Moonglow all day.

dsc00324.jpg

Part of 'Team Bullet', Tony Bloomfield flew this excellent example.

dsc00326.jpg

Stephen Lindley came over from Sheffield and brought three models, a Bullet (background) and these nearly identically finished Supra Fly and a Priory Models Silhouette.

dsc00327.jpg

Adam Collins flew a Super Lightning and had an extended competition flight due to a throttle servo problem.

dscf2570.jpg

My own Supra Fly, powered by an OS 45 FSR. Matches the airframe very well.

dscf2567.jpg

Dave Ashcroft's Curare ARTF, sans canopy. 6S Lipo's power this model. Still in the trimming stage at the moment, this was the only ARTF on the day, quality is excellent.

dscf2577.jpg

Shelley and Tony enjoying the sunshine.

dscf2580.jpg

The cut off date was brought forward at last years AGM to December 1995, enabling Tony B to bring along his Cuban Eight 40.

dscf2583.jpgPaul Lacey's Dalotel Super Sport, built from a Dave Smith kit but with a pair of wings from yours truly.

dscf2588.jpg

Tony putting the Moonglow down, prior to another flight from Shelley.

dscf2589.jpg

Me judging, Tony checking to see how I scored and Kelvyn (and buddy) following closely.