Lidl XL Glider

Here you can see the carbon tube is inserted into one half of the wing to check all is level.

mk2 hole cut leval.jpg

Now all the holes have been bored into the wings it is time to fit the center section and glue into place.

The insert the wing joiner.

mk2 wnig joiner.jpg

Fit the next washer then the final outer tube and lastly the washer and bolt is glued into place.

Now we need to slide and glue the outer wings onto the joiner take care as not to get glue onto the washers.

mk2 insert wing.jpg

Make sure the servos do not extend beyond the Centre section.

mk2 inner wing.jpg

Now that the wings are on make sure that they can pivot up and down without fowling .

Now control rods can be made.

mk2 servo control.jpg

Make a hole into the wing which a snake inner can be glued into taking note of where the servo arm is and with the wing level make a z bend.

mk2 wing control2.jpg

You may need to cut a slot for the servo arm to move freely.

mk2 servo conected.jpg

Now test all is working.

mk2 wings fitted.jpg

Ok next i will have to cut a hole for the battery and receiver.

Steve

Posted by Devcon1 on 24/06/2017 19:01:31:

Very neat conversion Steve, looking forward to seeing it perform. I'm assuming it's for the slope and no power conversion.

Thanks Devcon1,

Yes i want to try my hand at slope, not something i have done before .

If all fails i will put a Pod motor on, this is something i have done before for my son.

Steve

Nightflyer - "WOW the Felix is like twice the cost of the Lidl one."

It may be so, but the Felix XL looks to be a rather different beast. As I could not locate the Lidl version here in Scotland I bought a couple of FMS Alpha chuckies. On learning of the Felix I did a bit of research, liked the look of it, liked the Flexipor Polyurethane material, then ordered one from RobotBirds (plus a few extra goodies Naughty, Naughty, Naughty).

Maybe one day I'll actually get round to putting all this stuff together and actually FLYING one!

Posted by Kevin White 3 on 26/06/2017 09:32:40:

Thanks Steve excellent information there, thanks for sharing, love the use of the CD cases.

Kevin

Thank`s Kevin,

I did not like the idea of a hole in the bottom of the wing and thought there has to be a better way .

And i can confirm that my way also works and looks neater for it and stands up to a bit of ruff and tumble.

As i did take it out for a quick chucky on a gentle hill for a test fly, the wind was not that strong on Sunday but it does fly, but like my 1st conversion needs a lot of wind to keep it airborne .

So it will now have to wait until i can find a decent slope and the right conditions to fly it.

Steve

Posted by John Robertson 3 on 26/06/2017 20:13:49:

Nightflyer - "WOW the Felix is like twice the cost of the Lidl one."

It may be so, but the Felix XL looks to be a rather different beast. As I could not locate the Lidl version here in Scotland I bought a couple of FMS Alpha chuckies. On learning of the Felix I did a bit of research, liked the look of it, liked the Flexipor Polyurethane material, then ordered one from RobotBirds (plus a few extra goodies Naughty, Naughty, Naughty).

Maybe one day I'll actually get round to putting all this stuff together and actually FLYING one!

I suspect you are right about Felix XL being a different beast as The Lidl Glider does seem to be very draggy and i think the cause of the drag is the 8mm trailing edge on the wings but i can confirm that the foam on the Lidl XL Glider is robust to take a far few knocks as my son and daughter had some fun chucking them about in the local park they do fly well just as a Glider but again do need a Good chuck.

So i am considering slicing a thin wedge out of the trailing edge then gluing the trailing edge back together so as to keep a smooth surface rather than sanding it to profile.

I am also starting to make a pod motor mount for one of them so i can fly on a flat field.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Yes it may be slightly different to the Lidl one. Well I flew the Lidl one last night - in fact my 14 yo son who wanted the glider flew it the most and tbh it flew better than I expected and certainly better than when it was a free flight glider. My son enjoyed it a lot. With two 9g servos a Lemon rx and a 1s 500mAh Lipo pack it seemed to balance just right.

Now I am thinking about tracking a second model down to electrify.

Thinking about this from a business point of view.

If someone could make or sell a good quality foam plane that would appeal to kidz as a chuck glider and to the R/c enthusiast for conversion.

Then they would double there chances of volume sales.

Hobbyking sell a lot of foam planes after all.

Steve

Ok, i now have the power pod fitted and tested,

battery.jpg

This is a old 1300 Ma 3s Lipo that has puffed up so is taking up more space than the battery i had i mind for it but unfortunately it is dead so can not be used sad

pod on.jpg

This is a 20 amp Esc that was in my spares box.

pod onb.jpg

I have no idea if my thrust angle is right until i test fly it so i will take some glue a knife and some wood in case i have to pack it out.

And the Motor is a 2208/08 that was also in my spares box and i have a 4.75 x 4.75 Apc prop.

i have not done a watt test but does seem to have more than enough power.

Will just have to see if the weather is kind this weekend.

Steve