Lidl XL Glider

Hi, the weather did not look to good for flat field flying so i took the glider to a hill,

This is my 1st time flying on a Hill / Slope,

Not too bad for my 1st time i think.

I bought the foam glider as i wanted something i could learn on without fear of losing or breaking something on the rocks that may cost more than i would be prepared to lose.

Steve

Hi,

Just a follow up report on my flight on the slope yesterday,

After that flight which was my 1st i increased the travel on my servos from 100% to 140% which improved the handling.

I had many flights after that and i later changed the battery for a larger heavier one as the wind was getting stronger which allowed me to keep a nose down altitude i did not have any ballast in the model and after my confidence had grown with the model i tried to do a loop and roll but i was unable.

This maybe due to lack of experience and needing more speed .

So on reflection i would orient the servo so that i could get the servo arm closer to the pivot point to allow for more movement on the wings.

mk2 servo conected.jpg

That is how i have my servo fitted, but if the servo is moved further back or fitted the other way round should give me more movement.

I also had 60% expo set.

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 02/07/2017 14:49:37

Hi again,

i managed to nip out for a quick test flight of the powered version today,

This has a motor mounted on a pod above the wing as i intend this one to be flown by my son .

A pod mounted motor has the advantages of reducing prop damage on bad landings and in some cases allows for take off from the ground .

It does have its disadvantages too which is that one has to experiment with the best thrust line.

And as i only had one battery that would fit that small space many test flights will be needed to get the thrust angle right.

But once set it can be repeated again on other models if needed and should fly well.

Steve

Hi again,

i have now turned my servos around to give me more control movement.

I now have 15mm each way on my up/down and the same for right/left and and full up and right gives me maxed out 20mm.

servo turn.jpg

Will have to wait until i can get out to and fly this one again to see if the changes will improve things.

I must say i did enjoy flying this one more than the powered one , i must of flown this one for nearly an hour on two separate batteries.

Great fun learning new skills.

Steve

Mine has the ailerons added to the original wing so I worked out the cg as a percentage. Currently 75mm back. Fine with even the slightest power but dives like a brick with none. The thrust line is roughly the same as the tail. Not tried to land it dead stick yet which could be a problem but no doubt it will bounce.

Hi ,

I managed to get out to the field this evening with the powered version.

I took two cheap cameras with me to capture the footage one is a new one which is a cheap copy of the GoPro and the other was the same as i used for the Slope glider.

So i set both cameras to record as i had no one to video it or tell me if i had the cameras on right.

Well i can tell you that the up thrust works a treat i managed a take off from the ground which one of my cameras captured as it was pointing towards the ground and the other was pointing sky wards so none of the flight was caught i did get some footage of a sea gull that flew over but was all.

I can tell you that the model now flies well and i managed some loops and rolls and a five minutes flight with a nice gentle landing which i was very pleased with and could not wait to see the footage of which their is none sad

I will now measure how much up thrust i have a long with the rest of the details and post later.

Steve

Hi,

I have some info on the powered version ,

Motor A2208/8 Esc 20 amp Battery 1300ma 3s 25c Lipo

Apc Prop 4.75x4.25 = 120mm diameter

9 degrees up thrust Prop is in line with the trailing edge of the main wing with a 5mm gap between the prop and top of the body.

Ailerons are full length with a 15mm gap between the body aileron strip 25mm at root and 25mm at tip and movement 8mm each way

Elevator 30mm at each tip and slice the whole thing off i made a balsa elevator keeping to the same shape as the original and i have 5mm movement each way.

I could make a PDF of the Power pod mount if it is of any interest to anyone although you could probably work it out by my pictures.

Steve smiley

Maiden flight with my LIDL XL pitcheron glider nr. 2
This one with more throw on the steering Max travel on the HXT900 servos and also on dual rate, 60% expo on ailerons and 40% on the elevator. 100 gram extra ballast and CG at 60 mm, and it's working great.
Wind up to 13 M/sec or 26 knots
Cheers
Soren

Hi, Soren,

Great flying and very maneuverable, now that is great.thumbs up

Could you give details of where you have you're spar and servo and servo pivot connecting point please.

Could you also measure how much movement you have at the trailing edge .

I have used Tower Pro 9g Servos in mine and i had to program my travel up to 140  which i do not like doing so i switched my servos around to give me more movement . I am hoping to get out again with it soon and test out the changes.

Cheers Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 09/07/2017 01:07:57

Posted by Stephen Jones on 09/07/2017 00:58:26:

Hi, Soren,

Great flying and very maneuverable, now that is great.thumbs up

Could you give details of where you have you're spar and servo and servo pivot connecting point please.

Could you also measure how much movement you have at the trailing edge .

Cheers Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 09/07/2017 01:07:57

Yes..

The spar is at 85 mm from the leading edge.

Servo connecting point is at 30 mm.

Movement on the video is 12 mm up and 22 mm down measured on leading edge.

Cheers

Soren

Thanks for the Info, Soren

I have checked mine out ,

My Spar 85 mm from Leading Edge thumbs up

My old servo connecting point was 20 mm and now at 30 mm thumbs up

But i am only getting 12 mm up and down with servos set to maximum throw sad

So i am hoping to get out this afternoon with it , lets see if mine is any better,

Can i ask how you made you're ballast is it just brass tube filled with lead shot. question

after i went to the flat field yesterday and found no one their flying it got me thinking.

Why don't more people do gliding and turn a none flying day into a flying day .

That is presuming they did not go to the field Cos it was too windy for them.

Cheers Steve

To get max throw, check in the dual rate meny.. Perhaps you can give it a bit more there, on a Spectrum tx it can go to 125 % smiley

My ballast is lead,It is 1.5 mm thick lead plate 70 mm long, which I rolled together to 14 mm.

And taped a piece of stainless wire on it so It can be pushed all the way back to the wing spar in the hole.

I say the same thing to the members in my club, get some gliders and go sloping It's so fun, relaxing or exiting all depending if you fly in light air, strong wind, combat or DS devil

Just go for it...

Soren

Cheers

Soren

Hi Soren,

Thanks for that my radio gear allows me to push the servos to 140%

But still not enough .

I went out with the Lidl Glider this afternoon and spent several hours flying the glider at the top of a big hill.

This is my 1st Rc Glider i have ever flown and i am happy with it, although my partner thinks i have gone mad wanting to drive all the way out to climb a big hill just to chuck a £8 kids glider and go running up and down hills .

Although i have tried to explain to her that i am not going to be running up and down hills at my age.

Still she was reluctant to let me go Although i went in the end and was all the happier for it.

The lidl Glider now rolls very well and is easier to fly but i still could not get it to loop.

After i had been up the hill for some time i was joined by a guy called Mark who flies his glider there regular and he had a big glider with him .

He watched me fly mine then started to ask me questions about it, so i bought it down to show him.

I bought it down low then i caught it in front of him. He was amazed i then told him all about it and let him have a go of it .Again he was amazed at how stable it is.

I have lots of video footage of me flying it so i will post the footage after i have select what is best as most of it is of me flying up and down the edge of the hill with several rolls thrown in .

I will now convert a second one but mount the servos closer to the pivot point to give me more movement and i will reduce the thickness of the trailing edge .

Cheers Steve.

Here is one of many videos i took on Sunday,

I decided not to show the one where i catch the model as i am chatting to mark and i let him have ago,

And he may not want to be a star in my video and as i can not ask him i thought it best not to publish it.

The sun was right in my face so the video looks dark in places .

Soren, you may well be right about not being able to pull loops with a nose heavy CoG.
I had a heavy battery up front and did not fancy the trip back down the hill to get the lighter batteries i had left in the car .
Steve