Lidl XL Glider

My local Lidl had one left so I bought it!

Unpack

The EPP? foam is nicely moulded but very 'rubbery' and rather flexible.

Less the stick on decal sheets it weighs 169.9 g.

Of note are the very thick trailing edges. The TE on the tail plane is 60% of its maximum depth and about 40% for the wing. The fin TE is similar. Altogether not ideal! for a 'proper' glider!

Inside the glued on canopy is the "Nose bolt"

Nosebolt

It weighs 37.3 g.

My intention is to 'extend' all the trailing edges using Depron to give a fine edge using the top and bottom sheets sanded internally to retain the Depron smooth outer surface.

A small 'test' piece on the tail plane to determine the likely extension width required to achieve the correct section the wing section..

Elevator1

The extension leading edge is 'angled back' to allow a simple top tape hinge. As the tail plane is flat the elevator can be in one piece..

The elevator and rudder completed

Elerud1

As this will be a bank and yank conversion the elevator is tape hinged but the 'rudder' is fixed.

Together these extensions add just over 4 g.

My target is for the complete powered conversion to come in under 250g 'registration' limit! wink 2

Posted by Mark Kettle 1 on 30/05/2019 01:29:46:

Looking good Stephen.

Thank`s Mark,

I have something other in mind but when i got to this stage I thought hell it looks.

So this one will pretty much stay as is . And the design i had in mind will still be done.

In total i hope to create 3 new models .

Steve

Simon,

It will be interesting to see what you come up with.thumbs up

The lidl Glider is far from a good glider but is cheap and readily available to the masses .

So i guess that is the appeal that those that are wishing to dip their toe into the Rc Plane world have a readily available platform to work on.

And with all the YouTube videos showing how it can be done. Almost any can give it ago.

The Bolt in my Opinion is a far better choice but is more than double the price and not as readily available.

Steve

A bit more progress.

Eleservo1

The 3.7g elevator servo (its from the late Marauder!) fitted just behind the cockpit. It will use nylon pull/pull lines, over/under the wing, directly to the elevator horn. Simple and very light.

Being intended primarily a glider it will use a tiny 7 g 5000 kV? out runner with a 10A ESC along with a micro 4ch 2.4 Rx.

MtrEscRx

The whole lot only weighs 21 g!smile o

With a 5x3 prop the motor draws 4.1 A from a 2s LiPo. This is close to the motors maximum rating although hopefully it will fly on quite a bit less than full power.

By keeping everything as light as possible the intention is the original EPP foam structure can be used 'as is' without additional reinforcing.

We will see.

The motor added.

MntrMnt1

The motor bulkhead is printed. The motor is retained by four 12 BA bolts which screw into threaded holes in the bulkhead! All courtesy of my Dads extensive collection of model engineering tools!

100_3970

Tried to keep as much of the original profile as possible.

MntrMnt2

This shows the wing area increase (about 18%) from the extended 'fine point' trailing edges.

WingTe1

The aileron servos are buried in the wings.

After spending far too many hours on what is really only a cheap toy chuck glider it is complete.

Complete1

Not yet flown (weather!) it weighs 220 g and that is with an 850 mAh 2s on board.

At 4A (a 5C drain on the battery!) it should be good for close to 12 minutes at full power. wink 2

Not confident with that 'park fly' 2.4 Rx I have just completed the change to a 'full range' 35 meg Corona at the cost of an extra 2 g in weight!

My Lidl conversion actually had its maiden flight at the DVMFC "fly in" last Saturday!wink 2

No real problems in fact I flew it for several minutes on two occasions and without charging the battery in between.

When I got home I flew it again in the evening.

No speed machine but it does what was intended - it soars well.

I have some more pictures to share with you all.

a lidli glider 1a.jpg

I decided to cover the wing in Duct tape for extra ding proof and add extra colour not worried about the little extra weight as i will be Slopeing it rather than gliding.

a lidl glider 2a.jpg

Radio and servos as my previous builds. To keep it nice and simple.

a lidl glider a.jpg

I hope she flies as well as it looks.

Steve