Safe engine testing

scott finnie

Ok I'm going back to flying my helis in a scale like manner. I have just rebuilt the little Webra 33 in my Ergo 30 and really want to run some fuel through her prior to flying. Is it safe to run a helicopter without blade's? Or what do you recommend. Was thinking of hovering?

Thanks
Scott

DON'T RUN IT WITHOUT BLADES! You run the risk of serious over-revving, damaging for both engine and heli!

I've always just set mine deliberately rich and hovered them for a tankful, slowly leaning it out until its happy. The best way to break in a new engine is lightly loaded, slightly rich, let it rev, but keep flights short with plenty of cooling time between flights.

If all you have done is clean the engine up, it shouldn't need breaking in. All you need to do is re-establish the mixture settings.

If you want to do this in the garden / garage, get a set of head-loaders. These are things a bit like golf practice balls attached to a mount suitable for fitting in place of blades. They used to be available in a variety of sizes, but seem to be harder to get nowadays, with electric starting to dominate.

Skyline do these, but there may be other suppliers as well. Look around. But DO NOT try and run the heli up with no kind of load attached!

**LINK**

--

Pete

If you have renewed internals (like piston and liner) the correct process depends on the type of engine.

If it has piston rings Peter's set rich approach is OK. However, I suspect a Webra 33 might be ABC with no ring(s)?

If so the aim should IMO be to bring the engine up to working temp as quickly as possible at normal fuel supply levels, then stop and allow to cool, then repeat. If it's ABC so no ring running very rich will keep it too cool and not allow it to bed in, then when you DO fly it.................................