How many metres do you have to walk with your models and gear to the flying area?

Posted by Capt Kremen on 14/07/2017 20:55:54:

BMFA Handbook (2010 Edition) P22 diagrams 'R/C Power Flying Site Layout & Flight Patterns' anyone?

Car Park to pits quote "at least 100m" ....

The replies suggest many are possibly otherwise ?????

There are two issues with this recommendation.

First - is the site actually large enough to allow for this layout?

Second - with our ageing and increasingly immobile flying population 100M is risking a heart attack or stroke for many.

Think I'm joking?

As Bob states, this distance is a recommendation. In our case, such a layout is impossible but we have erected a stout 10 foot high chain link fence to protect both our pits and car park area. Obviously, without a roof there can always be incursions but it does protect against the majority of take off and landing incidents.

Yes Bob, I fully recognize the two issues you raise, especially the second!!!!

The 'ideal' and 'reality' of the majority of UK flying sites are very often poles apart.

Having flown in Europe and the States on many occasions, it's an eye opener as to what facilities the model fliers of those lands regularly enjoy i.e. Superb Parking, Pits & Flight Lines not to mention permanent on site club house with full 'domestic' facilities.

Meanwhile back here ... 'You can fly on the local rubbish tip Mon, Weds & Third Sunday of the month between 10 & 1' .... We can but dream of better conditions !!!

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 12/07/2017 15:47:03:

I have voted for between 20 and 100 metres, this is for one club that flies at a well know horse racing course in Surrey.

I'm assuming the question means from the parking to the pits (though it's little unclear!) in which case I think you need a new measuring tape, Mike! wink 2

Google Earth shows me that from the best parking position to the closest edge of the pits it's around 220m.

John,

My goodness I knew it was a fairly long walk but not that far. I should have known better having featured four times in the finals of the Croydon school sports 220 yards sprints in the 1960's !. However my left knee collapsed the other day so flying is out for me at the moment.

Not heard from Roger lately, I hope he is OK ?.

I very much doubt whether the 100M recommended car park distance would be implemented by many clubs if it was practical to get the cars closer and thereby avoid a long walk. Both of my clubs have parking within thirty or so metres of the flying areas, but each club has very strict rules on model operation and no-fly zones. A 200M round trip back to your car to get your sarnies, drink, sunglasses etc is ridiculous.

Posted by John Robertson 3 on 17/07/2017 23:40:57:
Posted by iqon on 17/07/2017 09:41:52:
Posted by john stones 1 on 12/07/2017 21:00:16:

2 feet. wink

1 foot frown

Units not recognised - Please re-enter . . . Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep . . .

You'd better get used to them - I'm launching a de-metrification campaign to align with the US market once we're Brexited....

If only I could remember how many square perches there are in a rood...

Edited By Martin Harris on 18/07/2017 00:13:35

It was an attempt at irony but for the sake of technical veracity, there are 40 Roods to a Perch.

50 years after being introduced to the simplicities of the metric system, I still do a mental conversion from mm to inches in order to visualise distances. I feel sorry for those whose school exercise books didn't have those wonderful tables of exotic weights and measures on the back.

Edited By Martin Harris on 18/07/2017 10:16:21

"Irony"? Don't remember that one. Is it one of the heavy metals?

"1 perch = 0.25 rood. Approximately. Apparently.​" Damned metric system - where did that missing zero go? I read "0.0250000001384" and rounded down. And failed miserably. Never happened in the Imperial System.

School exercise book tables? I absolutely loved them. I, too, found them "exotic". Not only that, but I have some silver groats tucked away in my goodie box. And a couple of farthings. And half-crowns. And crowns. I think I'll go and have a wee gloat later.

My daughter's partner is Swedish. He enjoys tormenting me - he takes every opportunity to talk about "decilitres", "hectares" and fuel consumption of "litres per 100km". What ARE these things? "

D.D. : Yes, very nice, but how FAR do you have to fall out of your van in order to fly? Surely this is an important measurement given the topic?

• 4 weeks later...

Club field is 100 metres from car park to pits & 20 metres from pits to flight line. But it is bumpy, does that make it longer (feels like it)...?

My degree-educated son (now 33) is still struggling with my metric foot (305 mm) and metric yard (915 mm). How many times have you seen these lengths - or multiples of them? e.g. 605 x 1220 mm (2' x 4' plywood sheets.

When I had to prepare specification sheets for plans in RC Model World they wanted both square inches and grams etc. Working out the wing loading in grams per square decimeters etc. was a pain and called for frequent use of the conversion websites.

RCM&E is far more civilised and only want it in Imperial.

On a similar but different aspect. I have a habit of reading off a measurement as 3/8 plus a 1/16 for example.

I once did that and a friend said "Oh, you do it that way too!"

Do other people do the same?