VQ Hawker Hurricane rework

Walts

Hi all,

I did start a thread on this project somewhere over 5 years ago before dropping out of the hobby completely and shelving the project. Well the bug has returned to get back in to flying and building, and I have been dusting this project off to continue where I left off. I can't find the old thread no more, and there was way too many posts to try and reconstruct it so I'll just do a picture and caption catch up of what I have actually done with this model.

It was originally an ARTF with really ugly plastic covering. But underneath that covering lurked a half decent model, so I decide to strip it and rework the air frame to see how far I could take it.

I'll do this in segments to try and prevent the posts from becoming too large

I need to work out how to use this forum again to add photos and also add the text!

First job was to remove the covering, then close off the cockpit for a smaller canopy, and build the recessed section inside the rear cockpit area.

Edit: Oh, and also to rework the front fus panels. 

Edited By Walts on 22/07/2017 20:52:40

vqhurricane005.jpg2nd job was to work on the tail feathers. I re positioned the tailplane ribs to a more scale position so that when rib tape was added later it wouldn't look wrong. I also added Robart style scale hinges with half round L/E's and shrouds covering the hinge lines. The elevator control was converted to an internal horn on the link wire, and a rudder horn was made for a closed loop system.

vqhurricane007 (1).jpgvqhurricane010.jpgvqhurricane004.jpgvqhurricane.jpgvqhurricane011.jpg

Hi Walts.

Got one of these myself pretty much at the same stage as yours the original covering was terrible so i removed it ,but as time went on i lost interest in it so its been living in a cupboard for the past couple of years ,you have rekindled my interest so i will be watching your progress.

Derek.

Next job was to build some much more realistic wing fairings, as these really do form a big part of the Hurricane's character the way the cowl has to fit around them.

vqhurricane014.jpg mefamily010.jpgmefamily012.jpgvqhurricane017.jpgmefamily013.jpgvqhurricane018.jpgvqhurricane020.jpg

I believe the canopy I ended up using was from the Tony Nijhuis design.

• Like 1

Once the fus and tail feather alterations were complete the rear was covered with Sig Koverall and the front was traditional tissue and dope, the Koverall was also given a couple of coats of dope. Then I made the tailplane/fin fairings from litho plate.

Edit: Also dummy canopy rail guides were added using plastic u rail.

vqhurricane022.jpghurricane095_zps44261bae.jpghurricane097_zps8d095a7e.jpghurricane102_zpsf5a749ee.jpg

Edited By Walts on 22/07/2017 21:45:03

Next the rear fus was masked off and the front end filled primed and wet & dried repeatedly until perfectly smooth, before panel line tape was added, sprayed over to build up some thickness, then removed to leave panel line grooves. Also small washers were used to simulate the cowl and panel fasteners.

vqhurricane026.jpgvqhurricane027.jpgvqhurricane033.jpg

The original flaps, whilst a welcome addition on this model, were quite crude affairs, just square edged pieces of balsa. So I also binned them, opened up the flap bays to a nearer scale position and made new flaps, with the outer flaps being driven by the inner flap using a method Ian Redshaw showed me using inset brass tubes with a short piece of bowden cable glued to the inside of the inner flap brass tube. This is a great way of driving split flaps that are spread from centre section to outer wing panel, as it is stiff enough to drive the flap precisely, but also acts like a universal joint,allowing the cable to slide freely in the outer flap tube as the flap moves through different angles.

hurricane047_zps45665214.jpghurricane060_zps9316a928.jpg

Edited By Walts on 23/07/2017 11:56:16

Next Job was to rework the U/C in to something much closer to scale. The original bearers were extremely short! I removed them and made some much longer ones that would pass out in to the outer wing panels, allowing me to move the retract units further out to a better scale position and open up the bay completely. I had to fill in the area where the original wheels retracted as it was too far out. Then used electric retract units with longer oleo's so the wheels almost met at the centre line as per the full size.

hurricane032_zps320b7368.jpghurricane030_zps6ea557ab.jpghurricane031_zpsd352a123.jpg

Once I got the geometry right the three wing sections were joined so the retract bearers could be fitted permanently.

hurricane066_zpsb1c2e65b.jpg hurricane034_zps22b97ddf.jpghurricane036_zpsbe225a32.jpghurricane057_zpsb61a75de.jpg

Then the wing was tissued and doped. Then filled, primed, and wet & dried continuously until it was perfectly smooth. After which, surface detail was added using thin plasticard and sticky back foil. Also panel line tape was laid ready for final primer. 

hurricane068_zps99bbea34.jpghurricane085_zps8fa258f6.jpg

Edited By Walts on 23/07/2017 12:24:56

Once I was happy with the surface detail the wing was primed building up heavier coats over the panel line tape. Then once dry the panel line tape was removed to leave panel line groves. Gear doors were made from litho plate with balsa liners.

hurricane093_zpse6152983.jpghurricane094_zpse79660d5.jpg

I had also used Robart style hinges for the ailerons, along with half round L/E's, and hinge line shrouds for a more scale look.

hurricane086_zps9ad72328.jpghurricane088_zpsa456b9c0.jpghurricane128_zpsb9836410.jpghurricane127_zpsb6284b51.jpg

Walts.

Edited By Walts on 23/07/2017 12:47:09

• Like 1