VQ Hawker Hurricane rework

Walts

And this is as far as I got with it before shelving it for 5 years!!!

All ready for spraying. I have recently bought a new cheapo gazebo to use as my new spray booth as the old one got lost somewhere in the house move of 7 years ago. I did do the priming in the workshop but it just covers everything in over spray, so will be using a gazebo with sides again in future!

I had intended to start on the camo colours today right after catching up with this thread, but It's been tipping it down, so will wait for a nicer day to stick the gazebo up!

Walts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks. The rear stringer section is covered with fabric, the sheeted areas are tissue and dope. once covered the stringer section is masked off, and the sheeted area built up with dope, then wet & dried back until perfectly smooth, then panel line tape laid down and built up over with primer. Once the masking is removed it leaves clean edges to the panelled section.

Posted by Walts on 13/09/2017 09:44:53:

Thanks. The rear stringer section is covered with fabric, the sheeted areas are tissue and dope. once covered the stringer section is masked off, and the sheeted area built up with dope, then wet & dried back until perfectly smooth, then panel line tape laid down and built up over with primer. Once the masking is removed it leaves clean edges to the panelled section.

Many thanks for the explanation, it makes pefect sense and is a great help. . My next project, now that my BT Spitfire is nearing completion will be a Hurricane but making a neat job of the rear covering was worrying me a bit.

I was expecting mine to come up very tail heavy with the recover and spray job, but using the special brass prop nut weight a friend made me originally for the Warbirds Hurricane, meant I only needed an additional 4 1/2 oz of lead over the top of the engine to achieve the stated balance. I'm hoping it will fly as well!

• 3 years later...

Hi all, I'm just returning to the hobby once more following yet another leave of absence, of some 4 years this time ? 

I've been searching through the forum to see what I was last doing and came across this thread.

Well I did manage two quick test flights on the Hurricane before dropping out the hobby again, and it scared the B Jesus out of me! It flew nothing like my Warbirds Hurricane of the exact same size and power plant! This thing literally stood on it's tail on the first test flight! I fed in all the down trim available and it still needed flying with a considerable amount of forward stick! Which made the landing some what difficult, but I did manage to get it down in one piece. After mechanically adding the down trim to free up the trim available on the TX again I re tried it. It still wasn't much better, and still required some forward stick to fly. I managed a successful 2nd landing and never flew it again on account of dropping out the hobby. I seem to remember rebalancing it with a more forward C of G back then though. I think the poor performance was due to the notoriously poor C of G recommendations coming with these models at the time. The mere fact I actually managed to fly it and get it down safely twice back then proves to me the model will fly once correctly balanced. Now I'm back, I'm egger to try it again, but after 4 years of not flying, I think I'd better get my confidence up again first! Will definitely post the out come here once I do get around to it though, I do hate build threads with no final conclusion ?  

Edit: Reading my last post on this thread, it would appear my initial expectations were in fact correct. Only masked by poor C of G information in the manual! 

Edited by Walts