Mama Mia!

You could do a "how to" on dynamix carbs Martin as I know they have a reputation of being somewhat a black art. A friend of mine has one on his webra 61 pumped, and has actually just bypassed the pump (another story), but I was amazed at getting hold of some instructions for the dynamix, and seeing the main needle was to be set at I think 6 turns out if I recall.

They seem to be marmite, some people think they are brilliant, others remove and put on a more mainstream one.

If you have the knack, perhaps you should share your sorcery

Not sure I would classify myself as an expert. When I get this engine running I'll be in a better position to comment on how good I am probably not

I have a perfect set of German instructions but I can only manage "Eine Bier bitte" at the moment..

Hopefully have it running by weekend if the weather stays half decent

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

I have got the engine running quite nicely. Its had 3 tank-fulls of fuel and eventually I got a nice idle and pickup.. It peaks at 9650 rpm on the ground (14x8) with a reliable tick over of about 2500 rpm. The first two runs blew two OS No 8 (normal) plugs so I swapped for a colder plug. That fixed the plug blowing but then it wouldn't idle with the glow clip off. After a bit of discussion/help from the UKCAA Facebook page I extended the pipe length by 12mm and added an extra compression washer under the plug.

I have also flown it

I had two flights with it on Saturday morning. Despite the wheels still being a bit stiff and the ground being very damp and bumpy, The model was in the air after about 20 feet and needed just two clicks of right for straight and level. It flew like it was on rails. Absolutely lovely to fly. A quick run through the basics, inverted, loops, bunts, stall turns and spins indicated that its slightly nose heavy but that is fairly easily fixed. No sign of a nasty tip stall either. Vertical performance is not scintillating but its not under-powered either. It feels just right. It happily climbed a couple of hundred feet without any problems or any obvious sign that it was running out of steam.

The second flight was curtailed when the engine died after hitting full throttle at the base of a bunt. I had the idle setting just a little too lean so a dead-stick landing was required from about 100 feet altitude and pointing vertically upwards. No problems. Just kept the airspeed up, one short circuit and then straight in. The endless floating glide that I was worried about didn't materialise, it really was easy to land

Absolutely delighted with it. It has a fantastic presence in the air and that swept back LE makes it unmistakable. IMHO, it seem to fly more like a late 90s F3A rather than and early 80s design

I was wondering whether I really should have built an Arrow or something similar but I am glad I didn't. This is so much easier to fly than my Magic or Aurora.

Just need to make sure I don't break it too soon.

If I get some photos airborne photos or video I'll post it.

Martyn

It certainly isn't fast. I am not sure how well the original flew on a piped Rossi 60 with (I think) an 11x12 prop.

I may try a 13x10 which has a similar load factor to the 14x8. It may make it slightly quicker although it also been suggested that I try a 15x6 as well to help keep the velocity constant. However, at the moment I am happy with it as is..