Finally! It's finished...

Well as they say, better late than never. I've finally got her finished and here she is...

img_2665.jpg

img_2667.jpg

img_2668.jpg

img_2669.jpg

img_2671.jpg

Some notes.

She's powered by an OS52 Surpass four stroke.

I've installed a remote glow lead positioned just above the cockpit for easy access.

I moved to wing mounted aileron servos so that I can set up for differential movement.

I installed a fuel cap above the fuel tank.

The prop is currently a 10x6 APC but on the basis of if it looks right, I might increase this to an 11x7 APC, because the prop looks too small. The engine can cope, so the instructions say, with up to 12x6 so I should be ok stepping her up a bit. But running in and flying will tell, I guess.

I have just a couple questions left on set-up.

1. I've pretty much got her balanced but not quite sure. I'm supporting her on two 6mm dowels with her the correct way up. She just about balances but if I tilt her just a fraction of an inch either way and she tips that direction really easily. If I invert her and balance her she will be slightly nose heavy and I can balance her perfectly with 3 large washers on the tail plane. Question I have is the sensitivity in balance with the plane the right way up due to the bulk of the weight being above the wings. If so am I getting the balance right by balancing her up inverted?
  2. I need to add a couple of sticky lead weights to the tail plane to get the CoG correct, but am worried about her being over weight. She ways in at 4lb 14oz without the fuel. Is this too heavy? What should she weight roughly?

Anyway, any answers/comment will be gladly received.

Peter Miller.... many thanks for great model. I can't wait to get her through her maiden albeit by another club member as I don't yet have my A and am still learning to fly.

Beautiful Richard

Don't forget the trusted 11 x 6 too, the 10 x 6 is far too small.

5lb is an ideal weight for the 52, even 6lb, and obviously more weight will go forward with fuel

Balance inverted level with a clear tendancy for nose down

And check with two of you guys, fingers under the main spar, with upright pilot, and slight nosedown

Don't have too much elevator

Set full rate as per plan, then set dual rates , half rates, to be able to cut down elevator and aileron if need be

Edited By Denis Watkins on 01/08/2017 21:33:03

• 2 months later...

I have an OS52FS in Flair SE5a that weighs IIRC about 7lbs and it flies well with a 12x6 - or at least it did. I haven't flown it for several years. I agree with Dennis that a 10x6 is a bit small.

My Ballerina weighs about 5lbs, too, with a 4S 4000 MAH battery so that seems to be reasonable because I have no problems with performance. My propeller is a 12x6 but I test flew it with a 13x6.5 which provided more than adequate power hence my going for a little less power for greater endurance by going down a size.

Geoff

That looks like a very neatly built plane. Well done looks like it will be fun to fly straight wing planes fly great always stable I am going to put a Super sportster together. I was looking around for engine differences and here is a vid with an O.S 52FS with an 11x7 APC owner says 5.9lbs 55.5" wingspan 555 square inches so 10" chord similar plane might give you an idea of how well it might fly. I have to say on the box it says 4.75lbs to 5lbs I believe it, it does not look 6lbs to me but I dunno what this guy has in his one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnbf5BB5X6g

Hi Richard

Great job and I'm sure she will fly as good as she looks. Mine has an OS52 running on a bigger prop than a 10X6 so would suggest at least an 11X6 APC. My OS runs well on Contest 10%. I also put in two wing servos and think that is best. It is well over 12 months since I finished mine and it has become one of my favourite planes. Put C of G as per plan and you should be ok. Here is mine. OS 52 by the way has plenty of power for the size of airframe.

Have fun

Peter

img_5283.jpg

Balance at 25% chord. with the tank empty.

You model looks great.

The remote glow connector is in a great location, never thought of that!

Your weight is excellent..

As you say, with the model upright the CG is above your pivot point. Put it upside down and check.

Check the CG with the 12X6 prop. but it is not really sensitive so ypu habe a little leeway.

If you can fly your model solo, i.e.no buddybox you will be surprised how steady Ballerina is.

Have fun