Peggy Sue 2

Well I have started on a new model. This one is based on my old Peggy Sue, a 48" span design based on the Monocoupe and powered by an SC 30 FS.

That model was dream, It would do everything in the book and was one of those that only flew straight and level while inverted.

These are pictures of the original 30 powered version.

peggy sue.jpg

peggy sue 2.jpg

So far the wing is well under way and the fuselage started.

This version will be powered by a four stroke between .40 and .48. Not quite sure yet.

I can say that it should be successful as I have already poured some blood on it on it.

Edited By Peter Miller on 04/08/2017 11:58:04

Hi Peter - I've only been building for a couple of years and my three airplane builds have been based on slab-sided fuselages. I like the look of the rear view of this one with the stringers showing through and will be watching the thread with interest. What is the wingspan is it 48 also?

Edited By Steven Shaw on 05/08/2017 12:50:04

Well, did quite a bit of construction.

peggy sue const 001.jpg

My usual system of pinning down the lower L.E. sheet and spar capstrips followed by lower main spar with spruce joiner. Note no dihedral.

peggy sue const 002.jpg

The lower spar is shaped at the tip to allow for the later shaping.

peggy sue const 003.jpg

The spruce joner, the top spar has a similar joiner.

peggy sue const 004.jpg

Ribs, Top spar, lower trailing edge and aileron spars and tips fitted. Building board is 48" and the tips are built hanging over the ends.

Note the wing hold down plates which take the four 5mm screws and the servo mounting plate

peggy sue const 005.jpg

Close up of the centre section Holes have been drilled and counterbores made in the 1/2" ribs

Lower leading edge sheet has not yet been raised to the leading edge.

peggy sue const 006.jpg

Close up of the aileron s which are built at the same time as the wing.

peggy sue const 007.jpg

Close up of the wing tip with the 1/4" sheet tip shape fitted to the spar.. 1'8" sheet leading edge still has to be shaped to match the tip shape.

peggy sue const 008.jpg

The wing is almost complete. Centre section sheet and capstrips still to do. also aileron bellcranks etc.

peggy sue const 009.jpg

Completed tip sheeting. You need to cut a thing tapered slice out of the tip to get the sheet to conform to the slight double curvature.. The 1/8" sheet edging and tip rid stil to be fitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is a coule of weeks since I added anything but have done a lot really

The fuselage is ready for covering but lets start a bit further back

peggy sue 2 2 001.jpg

This is the basic box built from the parts shown in the last post.

peggy sue 2 2 002.jpg

The nose with the formers ready for the turtle deck.

peggy sue 2 2 004.jpg

Underside view of the servo rails fitted. IT is easier without the bottom sheet.

peggy sue 2 2 005.jpg

This view shows the undercarriage mounting. Also the front plat which will have the nuts for the wing hold down screws

peggy sue 2 2 006.jpg

The view at the tail with the slot for the tailplane and the snake exits.

To continue.

peggy sue 2 2 008.jpg

All the stringers have been added plus the undercarriage and side windows. The fin is glued in placeand the engine mounted ready to start building the cowl.

peggy sue 2 2 009.jpg

This detail shows my switch mount. Actually a piece of ply would be better but I am using a big heavy duty switch which needs a more complicated mount.

peggy sue 2 2 010.jpg

The engine has the nose ring fitted with the spinner backplate glued to it. This makes sure that the end result is a perfect fit for the spinner.

peggy sue 2 2 011.jpg

Underside view showing belly sheet and stringers

peggy sue 2 2 012.jpg

Close up of the scrap balsa sheet to aid covering round the undercarriage legs

peggy sue 2 2 017.jpg

Top view inside the cabin area. Plenty of room here.

peggy sue 2 2 019.jpg

Right side of the basic cowl.

peggy sue 2 2 018.jpg

Left side of the basic cowl Engine is removed at this stage.

Finally the cowl carved to shape and ready for any filling etc.

peggy sue 2 2 020.jpg

peggy sue 2 2 021.jpg

The member you have PM'd will get an email to their registered email address notifying them of a PM, Peter. If they don't check their emails, they'll not know. The system seems to be working properly at present.

The only other option is to put up a post on the relevant thread here asking them to check their Inbox in the hope that they look in. We mods send out a few PMs and it's not unusual for them to go unanswered.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Looking forward to this in ther mag Peter. I was about to start on yet another Super 60 as a replacement for my current one which has seen better days but the photo of Peggy Sue caught my eye and I may well build it instead.
I was wondering if there's any particular reason that you didn't invert the engine?.

Posted by Fun Flyer on 07/03/2018 14:51:11:

Looking forward to this in ther mag Peter. I was about to start on yet another Super 60 as a replacement for my current one which has seen better days but the photo of Peggy Sue caught my eye and I may well build it instead

Funny that. I am just building my fifth Super 60 since 1963, all different in various ways

On Peggy Sue 2. I will be interested to hear how the build goes. I did proof check the plans but they don't always correct them.

Edited By Peter Miller on 08/03/2018 08:21:37

Posted by Percy Verance on 07/03/2018 20:20:50:

I'd never mount an engine inverted personally unless it was necessary for scale fidelity. As Peter says, it makes for simpler operation if it's upright or side mounted. Go inverted and you'll spend more time fiddling.......unless it'a Laser. They don't seem to mind.

I have an OS48 FS mounted inverted in a Turbulent which starts and runs without any problems. That said I have seen others struggling with inverted engines.