Peggy Sue 2

You may have noticed that a lot of my designs have Rock and Roll or country music titles. There are even a few ABBA titles.

When I was having the prints made of the first Peggy Sue plan the young lady working the copier said that she was having a baby girl and when she saw the name on the plan she decided to call it Peggy Sue. I never heard if she did.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter, maidened my PS2 on Tuesday, I was doubtfull on getting the plane off the ground because I did a Watt meter check prior to setting off to the field, the results on 4s were a little depressing with a 12 x6 prop I was only getting 240 watts at 18 amps. I took the plane to the field with the idea of just running it along the grass to see what happens, the plane ran the length of the strip ( long wet grass ) I gave a touch of up and the plane lifted off, it eventually climbed to a reasonable height for me to try a turn and the plane did a circuit - very slow circuit !, I slowed to tick over and lined up for a landing, the plane did not loose height, just glided on ,I did not want a go round so gave a touch of down to loose height, the plane picked up speed slightly and virtually landed itself. I think this all happened on about 50-60 watts per pound,must be your wing design. I have changed the motor to a more powerful version, cant wait for today to give it a proper test flight, but initial impressions are that this is a well designed model that should fly really well, will post outcome later today regards Geoff.

Hi Geoff.

Well, I can't really comment on electric power because I don't know much about it. I phone George at 4-Max and discuss my models and he tells me what is the best set up!!.

I know he suggests a 3547 800 for Peggy Sue2, Mine has a .40 four stroke in it.

I do know that with adequate power you will really enjoy the performance. It is one of those models that I only fly straight and level when it is inverted.

Let me know how you like her with the extra power

Well Peter I can only agree, I changed the motor to a Hobby King G32, with the same battery set up-have not had time to Wattmeter, but more than enough power on tap, she took off in about 20 yards and after a bit of trimming it was fun time, rolls, bunts, loops, slow rolls the length of the strip, the only thing she did not take to was rolling circuits,not certain if its the high wing configuration - i have not tried rolling circuits with a high winger before or could it be the flat bottom wing section ? the plane seemed very slow turning on the first part of the roll and very quick on the second ? but its early days and more time flying over the week end might shed more light on this, my usual model is in the Extra/Edge ilk, so I might not be comparing like with like, but congrats .on a very pretty aerobatic model. this is the first of your plans i have built, but because of the very posative comments from my fellow club members i might be adding some of your other designs to my long list of future projects, Regards Geoff.

Hi Geoff. I am so glad that you are happy with Peggy Sue 2.

I have never managed or really tried rolling circuits. Also I have to say that I am not a precision pilot so never really noticed the different rate of roll at the start of the roll and second half.

I find that the wing being set at true 0 degrees incidence works just like a symetrical section but is easier to build.

Based on what you say about your models and flying I can reccomend my CAP 21. THat is a nice model. I used to be able to fly circuits in knife edge all the way. IT used an SC 32 for power.

My CAP 20L was never quite as nice as far as I was concerned. I don't know why. Still a nice model but somehow just lacked something compared to the CAP 21

Thanks for that Peter, was the Cap 21 issued as a free plan, or do you sell copies? I had a Glens Cap in the distant past, briliant flier, i tried to purchase a new kit off Glenn last year - only to be told that he was having a break from producing kits due to lack of orders! i might be interested in your version of the Cap, but i have a Lysander, Chipmonk and an ARTF Slick540 to sort this coming winter, but you cant have enough models in the pipe line can you. I will let you know what the comparison is between my model and my friends 40 4 stroke version . Regards geoff.

Just the latest update with PS2, went flying yesterday (Thursday, cloudy, windy and cold ) took Peggy sue with me , one of my club mates who had not seen the plane before came over ,on inspecting the plane he had several gueses at full size aircraft he was surprised to hear that it was a non scale free plan, he wandered off and I went out with PS2 to fly my usual flight ,take off to 20 feet off the ground do a roll and carry on with the circuit, after several circuits including slow rolls ,loops and my new favorite stall turn with roll on the down line my mate came over and asked if I had the plan, he wants to build one over winter, sorry to say with an I/C motor, there then followed feverish negotiations for a suitable 4 stroke motor to power the plane with. regarding the other PS2 build in the club ,it is now in the covering stage so should not be to long before comparisons can be made. So as you can see PS2 is a certain success, and you should be pleased with the outcome. I am a little surprised there seems to be little other building interest on this forum - is there anybody else out there building one, if any one is thinking about building one , dont think, start building its a winner regards Geoff.

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the update.

I think that there are a few others being built. I have a feeling that possibly some people do not realise that a high wing model can be just as aerobatic as a low wing one.

AS you have found out, she will do anything that is asked of her.

I found an OS FS 40 Surpass is ideal but a good .32 two stroke would be as good.

The original Peggy Sue was smaller at 50" span and did everyting and more on an SC 30 FS. Plans for this are available from ADH Publishing.Plan number 142.

Peter , its only credit where credit is due, I was one of the non believers, but seeing is believing, both of the planes being built at the moment in our club will be 40 4 stroke powered, I think that if there are any more out there being built once they appear at clubs and people see them flying I think the same will happen as has happened in our club , there will be a rash of PS2,s spring up. Regards Geoff.

Hi Levanter

I think that it is probably because everything is more lined up with the thrust line, The centre of drag and the centre of thrust are more closely aligned.

However The Monocoupe 110 was highly aerobatic and won the 1948 International Aerobatic Championships in MIami. Other Monocoupes also performed aerobatics

The Clip Wing Piper Cub were extremely aerobatic too. There was even an aerobatic Cessna although not up to competition standard.

I know that Peggy Sue (both versions) will do anything you can ask of them.

• 2 years later...

My take on this model, built for electric. whilst I have got build photos I'll post them if anyone is interested. Note that quite a bit of 3D printing was used in this build, including the cowl. AUW including 4s 3700 - 2Kg.

8d41f640-48a4-4d97-8c72-ccba034527bd_1_201_a.jpeg

95ae9fc4-d59e-4400-b9cb-3830c635150f_1_201_a.jpeg

b93786f6-f998-4e32-b91c-abb8edc4fcda_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited By Ron Gray on 01/02/2021 14:51:26

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maiden flight today in strong (horizontal windsock) winds. All I can say, and this was the view of clubmates too, is WOW, what a design. This ‘plane out Wot4s a WOT4, it out AcroWots an Acrowot it is truly amazing. And in the wind blowing today I couldn’t get it to stall unless you can a gentle nose up flat drift down a stall. As for aerobatics, I was able to perform the F3a intermediate schedule, although it did take some provoking to spin (need to up some rates). 
I’ve got some vids of it flying although because they were taken with a cap mounted Runcam Peggy Sue2 does tend to speck out! I’ll post them up on here a bit later.

• Like 1

Hi Ron

That is great! I am so glad that you an your club mates are so impressed with Peggy Sue.   I always thought she was good but it is nice when others agree.

I always said that the only time that I fly her straight and level is when she is inverted.

My smaller version with a .30 FS was just as good.

May you have many happy flights with her