fuel for OS 55AX

Phil 9

Ran mine on Prosynth 5% . No issues...and we all know that prosynth doesn't reveal the oil content. There is a manufacturing fault with the Japanese built engines. The chrome plating peels off on the end. The Chinese built ones apparently don't suffer from this issue, apparently..

Page 12

Edited By cymaz on 05/09/2017 22:15:07

Edited By cymaz on 05/09/2017 22:17:41

Posted by Phil 9 on 05/09/2017 22:28:55:

peels of the end of what?

Yonks ago OS had a problem with the liner plating pitting then peeling, I was under the impression that the fault had been rectified. AFAIK it affected the FP and Fx ranges that had a specific bright plating, I don't think it was chrome.

I had two that were affected by it, a 10Fp and a 46 Fx both were repaired by Irvines who were the importers of the time(about 1996 or thereabouts). They did it FOC except for the cost of postage to them.

I still have the Fp 10 but the 46 fx was sold on after considerably more use.

I think the plating was nickel over a substrate of another plating over the brass of the liner, don't know what the replacement was plated with but it seemed to do the trick.

The Ax series do not have the same type of plating iirc but I couldn't tell you what it is and I haven't heard of any failing in service, I've had 3 55s and I still have a 120 Ax.

Forgot to say I used liquid gold from westons, still use it in all my engines with 15% nitro, cracking stuff.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 05/09/2017 23:17:43

Posted by Hangar 9 nut on 06/09/2017 00:52:27:

Irvine contest 10% or optifuel 12% runs great on either of these fuels !

both these fuels contain the recommended 18% oil so I would expect them to work fine.

but my fuel has slightly less oil content. I don't really want to start buying more fuel as I already have a stock of laser mix. That leaves me with two options

1. play it safe and add some more oil to my laser mix. I am sure my laser 70 will not worry about the extra oil.

2. run the OS on the 15% oil mix and hope it does not over heat or wear out faster

but then I just worked out that the 3 % difference in oil content equates to 3 tea spoons of oil per 5 litters. To me that is not enough difference to worry about

Phil, your engine will be fine on 15% oil. I think that recommendation is a hang over from the castor oil days.

Some years ago, I was involved in trying out a new fuel formulation that used 15% synthetic, and never had any issues with it in a variety of engines, old and new. Eventually the manufacturer upped the oil content to 18% as a result of the OS recommendation, and the only effect was to make more mess on the model.........

--

Pete

I run all my engines ( apart from Novarossi boat engine) on Laser 5 . It works very well on my OS55AX which I run on a tuned pipe in my Acrowot. It gives over 12,200rpm on the ground and comes on pipe beautifully in the air. The Laser 5 seems good in terms of lack of corrosion/wear on bearings. It runs beautifully in my other 2s engines such as my OS 120AX. If you want just 1 fuel for all your glow engines it seems a good choice especially as it's relatively cheap too ! Obviously it works perfectly on laser engines too🙂